Messed up setting up new tank?

blalaw87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening,

I have had my tank up and running for about a week and a half now and was wondering if I screwed some things up in the initial setup when I started the cycle? Setting up my tank up I have a 425XL tank. I am using the following setup:

• Sicce 7.0 SDC Return Pump
  • RSK 600 Read Sea Skimmer
  • 2x Red Red Sea Lights
  • BRS Heater
  • Carbisea live sand
  • Live Rock purchased from a local suppler in Florida
When I first set everything up I was ready to get everything set up so I put the sand in and got everything set u. It took a little while since I am using Brute trashcans but took me about a day and a half to get the tank filled up so the water was a little stagnant but I kept the powerheads on in the tank to keep the water moving. Once I have the sand and all the water in I started getting the return pump setup as well as the skimmer even though I didn't have it at the right height which I was able to get fixed today by just adding some PVC at the feet to bring it up out of the water and it seems to be doing alot better now.

I did notice that the first week everything was clear and looked good. Through that first week my temperature was running low since I didn't think that I needed one living in Florida but I do keep my house a little cool. It was running at about 71 or 72 but all I had was live rock in the tank and nothing else. There were some sponges on the rock and a big one that didn't look grate and started detaching from the rock so I removed that and got it out of the tank.

One day I came home from work and I did notice that I had alot of algae on the sand as well as the rocks and the glass and I was not sure if it was dinos or not since this is my first shot at saltwater! I turned off the lights completely for 3 or 4 days until today and it seems to have went down a little.

One thing to note is my Saltwater content is a little low at 1.019 which I am planning on bringing up tomorrow I just have to mix up a batch of saltwater and make it a little stronger to bring the tank up a little which is what my plan was.

I was wondering if I should not worry too much since I am just cycling or do I need to start taking some action. As well I don't have any cleanup crew or anything like that yet to help with the Alage control since I was waiting on the tank to get a little more mature. I am attaching some pictures. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

image0.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to worry about. Even with live rock there will be a break in period still.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to reefcleaners.org and get the package for 1/2 your tank size

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back