Miami‘s Clam and SPS Tank

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
No... I miss him... :loudly-crying-face:

I'll have to take a video when I get home from work tomorrow. Her alarm goes off the second I pull in the driveway. She's LOUD

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... I miss him... :loudly-crying-face:

I'll have to take a video when I get home from work tomorrow. Her alarm goes off the second I pull in the driveway. She's LOUD
I’m sorry to hear that. :(

I’ll be expecting that video tomorrow. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of work to do tonight (fish related). I want to transfer my 10 gallon QT to a 20 gallon QT and start preparing it as my SPS QT tank (it was used for new fish).

I purchased my first ever mini skimmer coming this Friday. I will add a piece of live rock from my reef tank. I’m SO excited to get this QT set up for the new acros.

I will cycle this tank before adding the SPS, don’t worry about that part. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrchidMiss

This is my daily ritual when I come home.

Cat meows for his dinner. Cheese blows his head off, but starts dancing when I make blinker sounds. He tries to mimic them in the video, too!

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well had to get an orange shoulder because of the beautiful profile pic you have....have had him roughly 4 wks and he is getting huge. He is a ham and loves to show off thats for sure.
20231015_150840.jpg
20231015_150845.jpg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a different LFS on the same day I got the big clam. I needed a pump for my UV sterilizer for the QT tank because it was battling ostreopsis, despite having high nutrients and silicates.

The LFS had a lot of nice clams.

IMG_7183.jpeg

IMG_7182.jpeg

I bought 2 baby maximas the same day!
IMG_7205.jpeg

I have them in a glass jar with rubble on the bottom of the tank. I’m keeping them away from the high par for now; I think they’ll do better this way.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a different LFS on the same day I got the big clam. I needed a pump for my UV sterilizer for the QT tank because it was battling ostreopsis, despite having high nutrients and silicates.

The LFS had a lot of nice clams.

IMG_7183.jpeg

IMG_7182.jpeg

I bought 2 baby maximas the same day!
IMG_7205.jpeg

I have them in a glass jar with rubble on the bottom of the tank. I’m keeping them away from the high par for now; I think they’ll do better this way.
I've never seen a selection like that at any of my stores!! not fair!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few updates:

1) 2 weeks ago, I caught my foxface eating my trachyphyllia corals. It took me much longer than a few weeks to realize that the Foxface was the culprit, despite having a similar experience with other foxface fish.

The foxface behaved so nicely while it was small, so when the trachyphyllia randomly started retracting, I thought it was lighting and nutrients.

I removed the foxface, and returned it to my LFS.

2) Although my trachyphyllia corals recovered slightly, they were still not 100%. They randomly deflated and inflated throughout the day. I lost one of my favorite trachy a few days ago: tissue receding and flaking off.

3) Well, well, well. I caught my yellow tang picking at the remaining three trachyphyllia!! I made sure it wasn’t just trying to eat the zooxanthella that the trachyphyllia expelled, but it was definitely pecking at the coral. I initially tried catching it with a net, but I was only successful after putting the trap for 15 minutes! I’m not kidding!! It was that quick!

Now, here’s an experiment. My orange shoulder tang (my favorite fish) never changed to his adult colors. I believe it’s because of the dominance hierarchy. I think the yellow tang was suppressing the orange shoulder's maturation colors, but we will wait and see if that theory proves true. I have wanted to remove the yellow tang for a while, and the trachyphyllia issue was just the motivation that I needed!

4) I bought new acros from Edward (@Big E )! He’s outstanding! He’s so kind, helpful, and awesome. I can’t thank him enough. He takes fantastic care with shipping, and he’s super responsive and knowledgeable.

IMG_7282.jpeg

This is a crappy photo, but I took it right after the Bayer dip. I got:

Walt Disney
Killer Canary Milli
Homewrecker (absolutely insane piece. he should have upcharged me :p)
BC Bubble bath unicorn
Orange passion
Eternal Flame
Skinny Love

Today was a great day. :)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few updates:

1) 2 weeks ago, I caught my foxface eating my trachyphyllia corals. It took me much longer than a few weeks to realize that the Foxface was the culprit, despite having a similar experience with other foxface fish.

The foxface behaved so nicely while it was small, so when the trachyphyllia randomly started retracting, I thought it was lighting and nutrients.

I removed the foxface, and returned it to my LFS.

2) Although my trachyphyllia corals recovered slightly, they were still not 100%. They randomly deflated and inflated throughout the day. I lost one of my favorite trachy a few days ago: tissue receding and flaking off.

3) Well, well, well. I caught my yellow tang picking at the remaining three trachyphyllia!! I made sure it wasn’t just trying to eat the zooxanthella that the trachyphyllia expelled, but it was definitely pecking at the coral. I initially tried catching it with a net, but I was only successful after putting the trap for 15 minutes! I’m not kidding!! It was that quick!

Now, here’s an experiment. My orange shoulder tang (my favorite fish) never changed to his adult colors. I believe it’s because of the dominance hierarchy. I think the yellow tang was suppressing the orange shoulder's maturation colors, but we will wait and see if that theory proves true. I have wanted to remove the yellow tang for a while, and the trachyphyllia issue was just the motivation that I needed!

4) I bought new acros from Edward (@Big E )! He’s outstanding! He’s so kind, helpful, and awesome. I can’t thank him enough. He takes fantastic care with shipping, and he’s super responsive and knowledgeable.

IMG_7282.jpeg

This is a crappy photo, but I took it right after the Bayer dip. I got:

Walt Disney
Killer Canary Milli
Homewrecker (absolutely insane piece. he should have upcharged me :p)
BC Bubble bath unicorn
Orange passion
Eternal Flame
Skinny Love

Today was a great day. :)
Do you give them any nori? I do wonder if herbivores that eat coral do it because they don’t get enough veggies. I know you have issues with nori falling apart but have you tried a different brand. I had to buy a different brand recently (omega one I believe) it was terrible. Fell apart immediately and made my tank a mess. Julian Sprungs though works really well for me. Especially if I fold it 2-3 times and put the clip right in the middle.

Just a suggestion. My foxes get 1-2 sheets per day and the tangs here are fat as **** and they just peck on the algae all day.
Also seen a lot of orange shoulder tangs here, pretty pretty. But I’ll say the Naso and desjardini’s steal the tang show for me. They both get huge too!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t really have much issues with the nori falling apart. It does a little, but all the small fish eat it.

I will admit that I have been feeding more “lightly“ lately. I still feed nori, but I can feed more. The fish all have pouches of fat. I also think the foxface taught the yellow tang to nip. Lots of different factors.

I still will not add the yellow tang back. Once a nipper, always a nipper. The yellow tang would repeatedly go straight to picking at the trachy, even after it took a few bites from the food that escaped the trap. I also really want my orange shoulder tang to change colors. :)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t really have much issues with the nori falling apart. It does a little, but all the small fish eat it.

I will admit that I have been feeding more “lightly“ lately. I still feed nori, but I can feed more. The fish all have pouches of fat. I also think the foxface taught the yellow tang to nip. Lots of different factors.

I still will not add the yellow tang back. Once a nipper, always a nipper. The yellow tang would repeatedly go straight to picking at the trachy, even after it took a few bites from the food that escaped the trap. I also really want my orange shoulder tang to change colors. :)
Must have been someone else whoops.

Well yellows are boring. I much prefer the orange shoulder so no big loss. Really like Ctenochaetus strigosus out here more common then yellows but much more interesting. Sad I haven’t seen an Achilles. My dream tang (to see, if anything I less want a tang after seeing how big they get in the wild).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back