Micro bubbles in display tank

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up the RedSea Max E170 2 months ago, and have been puzzled by trying to figure out what is causing micro bubbles in my display tank. The microbubbles are not bad, on average maybe 5 floating around, sometimes less, sometimes more. However, its a distraction to me as I am OCD, and it draws my attention. After careful examination last night, I am confident their is zero bubbles getting to the return pump. Which means it must be the return pump itself, or the connections leading into the tank (shown in the picture). The reason I don't feel its the connection leading to the tank, is because as an experiment I filled the overflow box so this entire connection was underwater, and was still seeing micro bubbles 20 minutes later. Is it possible for the return pump to create micro bubbles with bubble less water? I also have a MP10, but that is running 8 inches below water, and I have never seen it make a vortex. I am out of ideas and open to any and all suggestions.

20181128_192405 (1).jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro bubbles are super tiny bubbles that look more like a cloudy tank than actual bubbles. If you are seeing larger bubbles and only a few, it could be from anything from a break of water over the return (if the return is not fully immersed), to rock releasing some air, sand releasing locked pockets of air. Can you get pictures of what you are talking about?

Micro bubbles usually come from skimmers, air leak in pump on return, or no baffling in the sump.

OP
OP
MadTownFess

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro bubbles are super tiny bubbles that look more like a cloudy tank than actual bubbles. If you are seeing larger bubbles and only a few, it could be from anything from a break of water over the return (if the return is not fully immersed), to rock releasing some air, sand releasing locked pockets of air. Can you get pictures of what you are talking about?

Micro bubbles usually come from skimmers, air leak in pump on return, or no baffling in the sump.
They are definitely more of a bubble than a cloud. But they are tiny... I attached a picture that tried to capture it. I actually have seen bubbles coming out of the rock work before... I figured it was just build up coming from the sump. That said, if I only run my MP10, I still get bubbles. Is it really possible that the rock/ sand have air pockets after 2 months? Does it end? Is this just normal and will never go away?

20190115_170853.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pretty new tank. I still, after many years, will get bubbles every now and then. As long as they are not the tiny micro bubbles, usually not a big deal. Could be caused by pump going on and off and sucking in air every so often. Should not be hurting anything. May die down over time.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back