Can anyone tell me what these are?

Screenshot_20220817-193734_Gallery.jpg VideoCapture_20220817-193340.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not any type of dinos that I am familiar with. Fast little buggers. Might help to know what size these are in microns. Thus the question about mag levels.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not any type of dinos that I am familiar with. Fast little buggers. Might help to know what size these are in microns. Thus the question about mag levels.
Yes, its 4x magnification, these are not dinos they are also not visible without a scope, found on damaged acro tissue .

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, its 4x magnification, these are not dinos they are also not visible without a scope, found on damaged acro tissue .
Well they don't look like tegastes the normal acro predator. Nor are they AEFW clearly.

If you feel certain they are some variety of acro predator pods, you can begin researching Interceptor (milbemycin oxime) treatment methods. Hard to source these days though.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they don't look like tegastes the normal acro predator. Nor are they AEFW clearly.

If you feel certain they are some variety of acro predator pods, you can begin researching Interceptor (milbemycin oxime) treatment methods. Hard to source these days though.
I wouldn't go down that road, I'll just will them away, they are more than likely always present, but just taking the opportunity of a damaged coral.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go down that road, I'll just will them away, they are more than likely always present, but just taking the opportunity of a damaged coral.
I agree with your thinking. There is a real difference between a predator (tegastes, aefw) and a scavenger or clean up crew. Every tank has and needs scavengers. They are the effect of mortality, not the cause.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like ciliates to me. I would consider dipping the affected area in metronidazole (e.g Metroplex or General Cure) for 15-30 minutes. Metronidazole has efficacy against ciliates.

Alternatively, clove oil has significant efficacy against ciliates as well:

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like ciliates to me. I would consider dipping the affected area in metronidazole (e.g Metroplex or General Cure) for 15-30 minutes. Metronidazole has efficacy against ciliates.

Alternatively, clove oil has significant efficacy against ciliates as well:

It was bayer dipped about 24 hrs ago, I believe that may have helped, it started to stn a few months ago then stopped, I made 2 frags of it, thats where the damage came from, then in the past week it started to stn again. I did not dip the 2 frags but I have not seen any issues with the frags, so today the piece that was dipped is looking good and p.e is pretty good, it was removed from the rock and glued to a tile for easier removal and dipping.

Attachments

• 20220820_180017.jpg
    20220820_180017.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 19

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was bayer dipped about 24 hrs ago, I believe that may have helped, it started to stn a few months ago then stopped, I made 2 frags of it, thats where the damage came from, then in the past week it started to stn again. I did not dip the 2 frags but I have not seen any issues with the frags, so today the piece that was dipped is looking good and p.e is pretty good, it was removed from the rock and glued to a tile for easier removal and dipping.
I agree with @sculpin01 looks like a type of heterotrich ciliate.

I typically find that a potassium chloride dip (1tblsp /gal) knocks them off quite rapidly with basting. Followed by sealing up any substrate or exposed skeleton/ dead spots is good protocol to prevent reoccurrence.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back