Mini crash for the 4th of July

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sea hare dies and decomposed in my tank. Tank water was cloudy and smelled. Lost all my crabs and snails. And 80% of my fish. Lepto started peeling, cycloseris tissue just melting away. Did a 30 gallon water change. And running carbon. Hopefully everything will look better tomorrow. Just wondering if a high nitrate spike would kill the corals and fish like this

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can release a toxin when stressed or dying. Keep carbon and do another big water change. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will respond

OP
OP
dnyceli

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They release and ink. I've seen it once before with one of my other rabbits. But they are not toxic like a sea Apple

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe put some pinches of food in too to alleviate the barren water.. Sucks though, hopefully the rest pulls through!

OP
OP
dnyceli

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to see my corals deteriorating and stressing. Made make shift frag racks and transferred everything over to my 20G until I could stabilize the tank. Vamingi, purple, Sohol, and Scopas still in tank

OP
OP
dnyceli

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I just proved that sea hates are toxic and could crash a tank

OP
OP
dnyceli

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been making water trying to transfer then into a 15G bin for the night until I could drain the tank and start with fresh salt water

OP
OP
dnyceli

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transferred the corals over to my 20 gallon after a fresh saltwater bath. Now my nano is getting a bit cloudy and skimmer is going crazy.

OP
OP
dnyceli

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it is not likely a nitrate spike, but other issues, such as organic toxins, low O2, etc.

GAC is the best bet, along with skimming, IMO. :)
Yes I am running ESV Carbon and Chemipure. And skimming. Should I put a bottle of live bacteria?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exporting the suspect water is better agreed. Bac would be considered for ammonia spikes but that's slower compared to other methods like prime etc. or just removing the source for the ammonia

Given this is likely not an ammonia event gac and or water changes imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dnyceli

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far have changed 60 Gallons of water. Added a Poly Filter Pad on over flow to try to capture whatever toxins are in the water column. Did a wet skim water change last night. Water starting to clear out. My Vamingi is blind and can not see too eat. He is currently eating out of my hand and can't even see the food in my hand. I have to put it right up to his mouth. His eyes are cloudy, I guess from a bacterial infection? Started taking out all deteriorated corals and snails out of the tank. Lost every piece of coral frag and colonies. Even lost leather and mushrooms. Only coral that survived is Pulsing Xenia . Finally lost my purple tang last night. Scopas is MIA with no body recovered and presumed dead. That is all for now. Will continue updating

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%

Back