Minimalist DIY leak detectors and level switches

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my Apex I used the breakout box and aftermarket water sensors to save a lot of money over Neptune's leak detector options. Looking at the (extremely) simple design of the water detector I made some of my own by simply taping down the cut end of a wire pair and connecting the other end to the bob. With fine wires this works perfectly for the base of the tank where I can tuck the wires into the little joint between the tank and stand where water will run if there is a leak or overflow. It's tested perfectly. Even a tiny amount of water completes the circuit between the cut wire ends.

The same concept can be (obviously) used as a water level detector/switch although (and I haven't actually done this) you may want to use something more robust and corrosion resistant such as two stainless rods separated by a half inch or so. I would imagine these would be more reliable and robust than float switches and in fact are used by Innovative Marine in their new ATO in place of float switches.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Once I FINALLY set up system ill give this a try also.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course this is not good if your not home, but Amazon sells 3 moisture detectors that sound off like smoke detectors for like 30 bucks. I keep one below the tank and next to my RODI station.

OP
OP
Velodog2

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great idea, innovative use Inert Graphite Electrodes. What sort of voltage would you run through the stainless electrodes?

I use the break-out box with my Apex system. It simply tests a circuit for being open or closed and then the Apex alarms accordingly depending on how you program it. It may apply a small voltage I suppose in order to do that but I don't know. Graphite might work I suppose.

Back