mixing 2-part solutions from different brands

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I am currently dosing Redsea Foundations buffers A (=Ca) B (=Alk) and C (=Mg) in my 55 gal redsea reefer 250. I am starting to run out of the Redsea foundation buffers - i am all out of Mg buffer, will be out of Calcium buffer in about 2 weeks, and will be out of alkalinity buffer in about a month. i was at a LFS today and picked up ESV B-Ionic buffers (Ca/Alk/Mg) to give them a try.

The question is - can i mix the different components of each system (so that i continue using the red sea foundation buffers till they last) or do i need to make a whole sale switch? For example, i am assuming that it is ok to do [Redsea Ca & Alk] + [ESV Mg] for now. In two weeks, when redsea Ca buffer runs out, i would go [Redsea Alk] + [ESV CA & Mg]
then make the full switch to ESV once Redsea alk buffer is done

Thoughts ? thanks for your help!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to mix them, but the potency will fall in between the potency of the two and you may need to adjust dosing to compensate. :)

That said, with ESV (and many commercial two parts), the magnesium is in the calcium part, and you may not/probably won't need another magnesium part unless you use a salt mix with lower magnesium than your tank. :)

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to mix them, but the potency will fall in between the potency of the two and you may need to adjust dosing to compensate. :)

That said, with ESV (and many commercial two parts), the magnesium is in the calcium part, and you may not/probably won't need another magnesium part unless you use a salt mix with lower magnesium than your tank. :)
awesome, thanks Randy!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back