Mixing DIY manganese and molybdenum

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a surprisingly complicated question, and is true of many trace metals.

Both of these metals can exist in a wide range of oxidation states. One should expect there to be potential for interaction between them that may alter the state of both of them, while still possibly remaining in solution. One also should expect many trace metals to react with O2 in the air.

What effect this may have on the suitability of dosing, I do not really know since I'm not sure what oxidation states will prevail.

I also expect most trace element companies who make mixtures are not aware of, or simply ignore such issues.

If you mix them and start to see a precipitate over time, that's obviously a problem. If not, the chemicals are likely Ok to dose.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Both of these metals can exist in a wide range of oxidation states. One should expect there to be potential for interaction between them that may alter the state of both of them, while still possibly remaining in solution. One also should expect many trace metals to react with O2 in the air.

What effect this may have on the suitability of dosing, I do not really know since I'm not sure what oxidation states will prevail.

I also expect most trace element companies who make mixtures are not aware of, or simply ignore such issues.

If you mix them and start to see a precipitate over time, that's obviously a problem. If not, the chemicals are likely Ok to dose.

Thank you, Randy!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back