Modifying APS Stand for a slightly larger sump ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a dumb mistake, 100% on me and I own it - Yesterday I ordered a 20x20 footprint sump to go with my new INT 75/APS build. I knew the stand was 23.6" width front to back, and thought nothing of the 20x20 size. I realize now that the max width of a sump in this stand is 19.3" due to the side bracing with the sump area being recessed. Do you think it would work if i cut some pressure treated lumber to the exact size to fill in the recess under the sump? The full size of the sump would be supported between the lumber and the back bottom edge of the stand?

It's too late to cancel my sump order so my only other option is to order the correct size sump and hope to sell this one locally. I really dig the 20x20 footprint to allow me more room inside the cabinet for my apex, Ato and dosing containers.

FifteenYearsBand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a dumb mistake, 100% on me and I own it - Yesterday I ordered a 20x20 footprint sump to go with my new INT 75/APS build. I knew the stand was 23.6" width front to back, and thought nothing of the 20x20 size. I realize now that the max width of a sump in this stand is 19.3" due to the side bracing with the sump area being recessed. Do you think it would work if i cut some pressure treated lumber to the exact size to fill in the recess under the sump? The full size of the sump would be supported between the lumber and the back bottom edge of the stand?

It's too late to cancel my sump order so my only other option is to order the correct size sump and hope to sell this one locally. I really dig the 20x20 footprint to allow me more room inside the cabinet for my apex, Ato and dosing containers.
Have you tried calling their customer service to see if they will make an exception to the cancellation policy? They are v nice on the phone.

OP
OP
squarereefer

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried calling their customer service to see if they will make an exception to the cancellation policy? They are v nice on the phone.
Omar at IM is awesome! But the sump was ordered from Trigger who apparently does not publish a telephone number. I emailed several times immediately post order asking to cancel but did not get a response until after it shipped.

Last edited:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had with a similar problem fitting a mini fridge. I ended up using the shelf at the very bottom, which places the surface level above the recessed part of the bottom, but I think filling in the bottom would work just as well and potentially leave you more space (and a usable shelf!):
PXL_20230314_212657768.jpg

As you can see, there's empty unused space below the shelf. I actually don't mind so much, because the board they give you for the bottom that sits on the horizontal slats is weak and flimsy, and I didn't want to use that anyway:
PXL_20230314_212714848.jpg

Note also that I had to remove the bottom door magnets, because they get in the way. Doesn't bother me too much, because the top magnets work fine, and that's where I push the doors to open them in any case.

OP
OP
squarereefer

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is genius! My tank and stand is still crated in the garage since it will be weeks before I am ready to build. Perhaps I should go ahead and a cymbal stand to get a better idea of what it looks like. Do you think the shelf on the bottom in this scenario would be strong enough to support a 25 gallon sump?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is genius! My tank and stand is still crated in the garage since it will be weeks before I am ready to build. Perhaps I should go ahead and a cymbal stand to get a better idea of what it looks like. Do you think the shelf on the bottom in this scenario would be strong enough to support a 25 gallon sump?
If you have 20 gallons flowing through the sump, that's 166lb, which might be too much for the shelf since it is not supported in the middle. Simple fix would be to measure height from floor to shelf, cut a 2x4 to that length and prop up the middle like you would do in a king size bed. My biggest worry would be bowing in the middle. Might put strain on your sump?

OP
OP
squarereefer

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0800.jpeg
IMG_0801.jpeg

Update: IT WORKS!!! The 20x20 Sump will indeed fit inside the APS 75 (model 7001) Stand as long as the bottom magnet is removed for the door latch. I think the 19.3" stated ID for the stand includes the protrusion from the latch. I need to put the front doors on tomorrow, but if anyone is reading this in the future, the inside diameter of the recessed space is 21". I am very happy! I did not want to return the 20 sump since I am very interested in having the ATO and dosing inside my stand.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back