Modular Marine Overflow Plumbing for total newbie

H2OhWhoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I bought a used 150 gallon (60" x 24") that has a modular marine overflow on it. I have been keeping fish for 10+ years, but am new to overflows and sumps. I have no idea how to plumb this. I've only ever used canisters. The guy I bought it from told me that there are 2 emergency pipes. I couldn't find any instructions when googling. Can someone help explain to me how this is intended to work?

In the box itself there are 3 pipes. I guess all of these are intended 1 way or another to fill the sump underneath the tank? Do I attach pipes to each of these and then route them into the 1st box (far left) of a sump tank?

The return also seems janky underneath, but perhaps the wrong pipes are connected to it?

At this point I'm ok to just replace all of the connecting pipes to ensure I do this right
1689977410566.png

1689977453896.png

Thanks for any help!
1689977476062.png

Attachments

• Photos-001.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google BeanAnimal drain and there will be lots of info

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went ahead and labeled them for you in color. Assuming you dont change out the pipes just follow the color coding below

Red = primary drain and should have a gatevalve (not ball valve) for precise flow control. This one will be handling ~95-100% of the flow to make the overflow quiet after adjustments are made for it not to suck air

Blue = secondary drain. This will usually have some sort of cap on top with a hose which is optional for it to create a full siphon should the primary (red boxed) drain clog for whatever reason. In a good amount of situations being fully open channel like that in conjunction with the last emergency drain a full siphon wont really be necessary though (grey box)
~0-5% water will go down this to raise the height and further reduce/eliminate trickle noises from the overflow teeth depending on height

Grey = emergency drain. For when **** really hits the fan and you somehow clog both the primary or secondary/secondary can't handle all the flow (in the case that its configured now)
Under the normal flow rates of the primary (red box) this and/or the secondary will be extremely loud and make a lot of slurping/gurgling noises which should alert you that something is wrong.

Attachments

• 1689977410566.png
    1689977410566.png
    402 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
H

H2OhWhoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went ahead and labeled them for you in color. Assuming you dont change out the pipes just follow the color coding below

Red = primary drain and should have a gatevalve (not ball valve) for precise flow control. This one will be handling ~95-100% of the flow to make the overflow quiet after adjustments are made for it not to suck air

Blue = secondary drain. This will usually have some sort of cap on top with a hose which is optional for it to create a full siphon should the primary (red boxed) drain clog for whatever reason. In a good amount of situations being fully open channel like that in conjunction with the last emergency drain a full siphon wont really be necessary though (grey box)
~0-5% water will go down this to raise the height and further reduce/eliminate trickle noises from the overflow teeth depending on height

Grey = emergency drain. For when **** really hits the fan and you somehow clog both the primary or secondary/secondary can't handle all the flow (in the case that its configured now)
Under the normal flow rates of the primary (red box) this and/or the secondary will be extremely loud and make a lot of slurping/gurgling noises which should alert you that something is wrong.
This is a huge help. Thank you!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back