Montipora and Seriatopora have lost tissue. Please help

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last few months Montipora Digitata and Seriatopora have started to lost tissues and are slowly dying.
My LPS and soft corals are all fine.
My parameters were better until last week (when I last checked).

My parameters today:
Salinity - 1.025
KH - 8
PO4 - 0.08
Ca - 450
Mg - 1230
What is wrong? Help please.
IMG_2197.jpeg

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recent fluctuations in parameters? You mentioned your parameters were "better last week" , what were they? What is your NO3?

Any idea what your potassium is? If not, what is your WC schedule and salt brand?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sps is beside a mushroom? Mushroom likes low flow, low light, and high nutrients, sps likes high flow, high light, and low nutrients.

Complete opposite. Its very hard to please both sps and soft corals in the same tank.

OP
OP
Azael

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recent fluctuations in parameters? You mentioned your parameters were "better last week" , what were they? What is your NO3?

Any idea what your potassium is? If not, what is your WC schedule and salt brand?
In the last months my magnesium was 1350-1380 and KH 9.
I don’t have tests for NO3 or potassium, but I buy NO3 test if it would help.
WC - 15% at one month and a half. Tomorrow I will make the water change.
I use Red Sea Salt.
And I am dosing All for Reef daily.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Azael

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like monti eating nudis and almost looks like one in your picture. The little white antennae’s in the void.
I don’t have nudis in my tank. IIt was just some detritus in the picture.
This are the rest of the corals that are dying.

IMG_2201.jpeg
IMG_2200.jpeg

OP
OP
Azael

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sps is beside a mushroom? Mushroom likes low flow, low light, and high nutrients, sps likes high flow, high light, and low nutrients.

Complete opposite. Its very hard to please both sps and soft corals in the same tank.
The SPS are on a higher ground (for more light) and with more flow. They are in 3 different areas in the tank and I had them for about half a year and doing good until they started to lose tissue. At first I suspected the hot temperature from the summer, but they are still losing tissue now at normal temperature. Constant 25 degree Celsius in the tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know…. I honestly can’t offer any advice on the birdsnest as I have yet to be able to care for one long term! I can keep the most delicate tenius and high end corals but never had luck with birds… idk if I blast them with too much light or what! It’s always stumped me… I know they will die on the bottom from being shadowed by the upper branches..

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didnt list your ph. Looks like burn from low ph. Your lps and softies wont be far behind if this is the case

OP
OP
Azael

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didnt list your ph. Looks like burn from low ph. Your lps and softies wont be far behind if this is the case
I just tested the PH and it’s 7.4
I didn’t know that could be a cause. I’ll have to raise it.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with raising pH. Your number is definitely low but I would re-verify that test if you can. A pH of 7.4 is pretty rare from what I’ve read. Are you using a probe or standard test kit?

I think if you take any action too fast it might cause more problems, especially with things like this.

I would look to see what your NO3 is before taking any action to raise pH. I’ve seen some serious necrosis when my nutrients get all out of whack, more specially nitrates. If your number is 0 that may also have something to do with this issues.

I think your fine with your WC’s and potassium.

How long have you been using the AFR?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with raising pH. Your number is definitely low but I would re-verify that test if you can. A pH of 7.4 is pretty rare from what I’ve read. Are you using a probe or standard test kit?

I think if you take any action too fast it might cause more problems, especially with things like this.

I would look to see what your NO3 is before taking any action to raise pH. I’ve seen some serious necrosis when my nutrients get all out of whack, more specially nitrates. If your number is 0 that may also have something to do with this issues.

Thats not nitrates. The whole skeleton. Looks to be dissolving. Thats low ph. Start adding some kalk to your top off water.

OP
OP
Azael

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will buy a NO3 test.
I tested with a digital PH meter. It should be accurate (also tested my fresh water tank), but I am not 100% sure.
I used All for Reef in the last 3 months.

OP
OP
Azael

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ph meter should be calibrated. I just bought it a few months ago and I calibrated it.
I just bought a NO3 test and test it. The nitrates are high. I see it about 40 ppm.
IMG_2248.jpeg
I fed more in the past weeks since I added 2 new fishes, but it’s still not ok at all.
Now I have to lower the nitrates

OP
OP
Azael

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your help!
Thank you all!
Nitrates are high and PH is low. I have to fix both of them. I am thinking about growing algaes in the refugium again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back