More questions about rock

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading my tank to a bigger tank and I want to do things better this time. My current tank was used and I think the person may have been using tap water for topping off. I’ve always had phosphate issues and I think the rock may be leeching phosphate. Going forward into the new tank, how do I get rid of this phosphate?
the current tank is 29 gallon and the new one is 90, so obviously I need more rock. Should I get live or dry and seed it with a rock from my current tank? Will that get phosphate into new rocks?
sorry for so many questions I just want to do this right!

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you test to see if your rock is truly leaching phosphate. Remove your rock and put it in to a separate container (Rubbermaid, etc) with heated, circulating SW. Then measure the water over time to see if the rocks are actually leaching phosphates. If they are, you can do one of two things: use muriatic acid (or other type of acid) to rid the outer layer of rock (where the phosphates are). This will kill everything on your rock (I know, I’m Captain Obvious). Or you can just leave your rock in your container and let the bacteria eat the phosphates over time. Once you no longer test phosphates, put the rock back in your tank. Obviously the latter will take longer but preserve anything currently on your rocks.

OP
OP
Uptowngirl

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you test to see if your rock is truly leaching phosphate. Remove your rock and put it in to a separate container (Rubbermaid, etc) with heated, circulating SW. Then measure the water over time to see if the rocks are actually leaching phosphates. If they are, you can do one of two things: use muriatic acid (or other type of acid) to rid the outer layer of rock (where the phosphates are). This will kill everything on your rock (I know, I’m Captain Obvious). Or you can just leave your rock in your container and let the bacteria eat the phosphates over time. Once you no longer test phosphates, put the rock back in your tank. Obviously the latter will take longer but preserve anything currently on your rocks.
Awesome advice thank you!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of level of PO4 are we seeing?
Phosphate leaking rocks is not common?
What kinda rock is it....any pics.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wont get rid of phosphate but you can lower it to manageable levels where its not so obvious. A few ways, a high powered refugium with macroalgae, a turf scrubber, absorbant phosphate media such as gfo or aluminum oxide or lanthanum chloride. You can dose vodka or vinegar and skim them bacteria that consume po4. You can acid soak your old rock outside in a trash can. But this will kill everything and make it dead rock but po4 will lessen.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 54 28.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 39 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 65 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back