Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this for about 6 months now no issues for $48. Can't go wrong

Jebao Programmable Auto Dosing Pump DP-4

410m4BejGSL._SX425_.jpg
I use mine to feed liquid foods, use 2 pumps for food, 3rd I remove wires from 3rd pump wired to Fish feeder so I can program fish feeder. Working under hard conditions. Still good. 4th is reserved

furcifer208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lime is calcium hydroxide, it will effect ph,calcium,and alkalinity. I was using it off/on 8 mo. Ago.
Haven't used for a while but I have baked baking soda, not baking soda. It will raise pH and alkalinity no calcium.
But I just add 47 Pacific oysters in my refugium and they will consume calcium so I may have to pick up lime which is calcium hydroxide

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just returned a little over a year ago. At first I manually dose then I bought dosing pumps single dosing pumps and finally I bought the programmable dosing pumps I wish I would have bought this first it makes life a lot easier but there is risk like anything so far so good

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have but a few frags or small colonies, the easiest and least expensive way to begin dosing is to add Calcium Hydroxide in your ATO water. What works very well, and isn't that costly for calcium hydroxide, is Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime. I purchase this in our local Walmart in (I think) one pound bags. Add up to 1 teaspoon per gallon of ATO water. Note that will will need test kits or Hanna's to test for alkalinity and calcium (and magnesium).

Once your tank gets going with larger colonies, calcium hydroxide in your ATO will not be able to keep up with demand. At this point you could either supplement with two part or switch over to all two part. The least expensive way to do this is by using Dr. Randy's DIY recipes found HERE.

I've been using Dr. Randy's recipes for over 13 years with great success. I spend between 5 - 10 dollars a year to dose my tank. I'm really guessing at that number, which is probably high, in that I still have my first 50 pound bag of calcium chloride, that cost less than $20. I also use Arm and Hammer Baking Soda that I purchase from Sam's Club in large bags (I think 15 pound bags) for somewhere in the area of $8.

This all can be manually dosed, but I have mine set up to dose automatically, three times a day, using BRS 1.1 ml dosing pumps.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back