Moving a tank by pickup truck

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by SallyWho, Nov 10, 2017.

1. SallyWho

SallyWho Well-Known Member

The thought occurred to me that if I am able to find a used tank for sale in my area, I'm going to need a way to get it home. Lordy knows a 120-180g tank won't fit in my little Honda! Assuming I find a pickup truck to borrow or rent, what's the safest way to secure the tank in the back without it sliding around or cracking? Wrap it in blankets and use tie-down straps? Would bungee cords be better than those ratcheting straps? It seems the stretch of a bungee cord might be less likely to crack a tank, but since I've never done this before, I have no idea if that's how it works in practice. What if the pickup doesn't have any places in the bed to hook those straps into? I'd love to hear y'alls input!

Tags:

2. Jason mack

Jason mack Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Most trucks or pickups will have tying points so you can use suring straps or ropes too tie it down use a blanket or something similar too cover it too stop any further damage ! Good luck

SallyWho likes this.
  3. SallyWho

SallyWho Well-Known Member

Thanks!

4. Jason mack

Jason mack Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

If you can get some rubber Mats too sit it on that will help stop it moving and help protect it as well

SallyWho likes this.
  5. easternreefer

easternreefer Well-Known Member ETRC Member

picked up a used 90g this summer. bungee cords and blankets worked for us. get it as tight to the back of the bed as possible and make sure movement is minimized. I tied down the sides the back and the top. I actually used the braces to slide some of the bungee cords through and around so they had some more contact points. if using the bungees. I would suggest that the cords be tied together to create a web like structure around and over the tank. I stopped every 50 miles (I had 300 miles to go) or so to check and make adjustments if necessary. but once it settled in it was fine. hope this helps

SallyWho likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted