Moving from Aquaforest to TM Balling

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This move is simply because AF supply is inconsistant in my country. Also, I an unhappy that there is a lot of precipitations of probably trace elements such as Iron. AF spread their trace elements among the three dosing parts. This however does not seem to prevent some precipitations. Having said that my tank is doing fine with lots of fish lps and now a few sps. I work w/o water changes. I do sapplement TM trace elements with the dosing. TM has all the t. elements in the 3rd NaCl-less dosing part. I dose about 75 +/- 10 ml daily so i added A & K elements so that 4 ml of each are dosed each day. Also added rodi water to the 3rd container to keep the ratio. Any further advice or tips to share expirience using the TM "classic" Balling system?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM has all the t. elements in the 3rd NaCl-less dosing part. I dose about 75 +/- 10 ml daily so i added A & K elements so that 4 ml of each are dosed each day.
Part C of TM original Balling is to provide ionic balance for part A and part B. It is not trace element supplementation or it does not add what trace elements the organisms in your tank consume.

Here is better explanation:
In terms of trace elements, it is akin to doing a tiny water change once in a while.

here's the basic math:

if you add the equivalent of 1.1 dKH per day, and then use part C in an appropriate amount to balance out the sodium and chloride you added, it is going to add roughly the same amount of trace elements as if you did one 32% water change per year. Definitely not nothing, and is potentially important for ions like potassium. But for trace elements that might go from NSW levels to none in a few days (iron, manganese, etc.), it is not doing much to maintain these levels.

For an additional trace element supply, use the solutions K+/A- Elements from Tropic Marin.

Good luck,

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This move is simply because AF supply is inconsistant in my country. Also, I an unhappy that there is a lot of precipitations of probably trace elements such as Iron. AF spread their trace elements among the three dosing parts. This however does not seem to prevent some precipitations. Having said that my tank is doing fine with lots of fish lps and now a few sps. I work w/o water changes. I do sapplement TM trace elements with the dosing. TM has all the t. elements in the 3rd NaCl-less dosing part. I dose about 75 +/- 10 ml daily so i added A & K elements so that 4 ml of each are dosed each day. Also added rodi water to the 3rd container to keep the ratio. Any further advice or tips to share expirience using the TM "classic" Balling system?

Ignore any trace elements in Baling Part C. it is an important supplement, but it is NOT designed or suitable to replace consumed trace elements. It is like adding a tiny bit of salt mix each day.

If you use The TM three part Balling, then you may also want to use a trace element supplement, such as their A and K.

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
. I dose about 75 +/- 10 ml daily so i added A & K elements so that 4 ml of each are dosed each day. Also added rodi water to the 3rd container to keep the ratio.
By "trace elements" I reffered to the fact that all seawater ingredients are in the Balling C.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

By "trace elements" I reffered to the fact that all seawater ingredients are in the Balling C.

Yes, but they are also in a salt mix and no one suggests adding more salt mix to boost trace elements.

Balling Part C is mostly magnesium and sulfate, and only tiny amounts of trace elements.

One can calculate the effect.

if you use Balling or related methods (e.g., a two part) to add 1.1 dKh per day and the balanced amount of calcium, then the salinity rises roughly 29% over the course of a year from the residual sodium and chloride.

Balling part C offsets the depletion of all elements from this salinity rise (when salinity is maintained), so when used as directed, it adds the trace elements in that 29% salinity increase.

If a trace element is at zero, then each day, Balling Part C will add roughly 0.29/365 = 0.08% of the NSW level of that element, just like a 0.08% water change would. In most cases, that is not a significant addition. Think of it this way, would a 29% water change once a year maintian rapidly depleting elements such as iron, manganese, or iodine? no.

Additionally, for any trace element above NSW values (or above the level in TM salt mix), the use of Balling Part C will, like any water change, reduce the level of that trace element by a tiny amount, just like a 0.08% water change would.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back