MP40 for future proof

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all:

I'm in the market for a new powerhead and I'm looking at the MP10 and MP40.

I have a 34g cube and I'm thinking of upgrading within a year or so. So the question is, if I buy the MP40 now, will i be able to successfully use it in my small cube (turned down)?

I'm just not sure how much adjustability it has.

Any ideas?

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Local fish store has an mp-40 in there soft coral tank (20gallon Nuvo) and its doing great. Aim for heavier sand and just have to figure out proper placement for Mp-40 and corals and settings.
Normally I would say get the mp-10 but since you plan to upgrade soon get the mp-40

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used an MP40 on an Elos Midi, which is also a 34 gallon cube. You can turn them down quite a bit actually. I also like the wide flow patterns.

How big do you plan on going next tank, and what type of corals are you going with this time around?

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably either 90 or 120. Mostly lps
If you plan on going that big I would recommend buying an expensive light that you can turn down for your 34gallon like a radion series and will just have to get a few more when you upgrade.
Otherwise the cheaper temporary solution would be a AI prime HD (All depends on your money situation currently and in future)

Edit: If you went the cheap route and bought a AI Prime HD you could always use the 34gallon in future as a nice quarantine tank (QT) if you have the room for it or a grow out tank/QT. The AI primes though will not adapt well to a 90/120 though not unless you have an army of them though.

OP
OP
F

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with a Radion XR15....should that do the job?

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with a Radion XR15....should that do the job?
XR15 would be good option but you would need 3-4 of them on a larger tank for proper coverage. If you have the money an XR-30 would be better and could support a 90/120 by itself depending on the corals until you could get money for a 2nd one. Rule of thumb with a lights you can always turn them down but can't turn them up past their max.
For a 4 foot tank 2 xr30's allow for better coverage and capabilities. Also if you plan on a predominantly SPS tank get the xr30pros.
XR15's could work but you will need more of them and the mounting will then become slightly more difficult.
But neither option is cheap my heart goes out to your wallet my friend, but better to buy once than have to buy again.

OP
OP
F

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they are pretty spendy! Are they worth the premium in your experience over say the AI or Kessil?

Arcticreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a Radion XR15 G4 over my waterbox cube 20 gallon and its an awesome light, spendy but definitely worth it imo. plan to get a reefer 250 next year and add another XR15 G4 and going mostly sps. later ill add a T5 hybrid lamp around them like the Giesemann stellar or Aquaticlife.
Am adding a MP40 on my 20 gallon also.

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they are pretty spendy! Are they worth the premium in your experience over say the AI or Kessil?
Tough to say, I personally have never owned an XR30 but I know plenty of people that swear by them and I trust them. I only have 1 tank setup right now, a 20 gallon long nano with 2 x AI Primes and love them AI makes good stuff too from my experience. I use to have a 60 gallon tank with 2 xr15 and it did amazing but life changes and I had to move and sell it.
Pretty sure World Wide Corals uses XR30 pros only on all there tanks and they are one of the top companies out there too. But AI or Kessil could be a good alternatives that works at a much cheaper price too

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back