Multiple species of clowns in large aquariums?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost positive I know the answer is no. I was just wondering if anyone out there has EVER mixed tomato clown fish with another species in large tanks and not had a mass killing spree ensue. I have acquired a breeding pair of clowns ( can't remember if they are percs or occ.) I know I should be able to tell by now but having lived with my tomato for over a decade I never paid much attention to other clowns. They are currently brooding a clutch of eggs with their nem in my coral holding tank. I figured I would let the eggs hatch (cool to see) and then find a home. Well they are growing on me [emoji33]. My options are let them live in the coral tank... ehhh. Try to get the clowns to share 240 gallons (yeah right...). Try and convince family that breeding clowns is a good idea and get them a tank or just say bye bye. Please save me from my madness...

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a pair of B&W ocellaris that were in my 55 for 4 years. Had a pair of Mocha perculas in a 10 gallon for a year. When I combined them in my 220, the B&W beat up the Mochas. The percs are now in the good hands of my good friend @DannyB for a couple or so years now.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea... pretty sure if percs and ocellaris won't get along then a tomato won't get along with others

zeeGGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a pair of B&W ocellaris that were in my 55 for 4 years. Had a pair of Mocha perculas in a 10 gallon for a year. When I combined them in my 220, the B&W beat up the Mochas. The percs are now in the good hands of my good friend @DannyB for a couple or so years now.
Thanks for sharing...Cause I have 2 tomato clowns that lay eggs every 2 weeks and I have 2 small regular clowns in the other tank.I still can't decide who should I let go/give up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1af1a2f1a268f3bb6db71d7505ec7719.jpg

c79683c95ff8e731ae5d8db724946adc.jpg

Here are the new guys. Maybe someone can remind me which they were lol.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing...Cause I have 2 tomato clowns that lay eggs every 2 weeks and I have 2 small regular clowns in the other tank.I still can't decide who should I let go/give up.
Glad I'm not alone in this struggle. I mean they can stay in the 55. I use it to fatten up picky eaters so they may help to "teach" them to eat. But it isn't a beautiful tank lol

zeeGGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have had my female for 12 years. Just got her a boy toy lol. That went a lot better than I thought it would... she mostly ignores him.
Are you gonna keep those 2 different clowns? That's my dilemma too...I have a breeding tomato clowns in a different tank (bought it from a friend) hosting 3 anemones...maintaining 2 different tanks is difficult. [emoji51]

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you gonna keep those 2 different clowns? That's my dilemma too...I have a breeding tomato clowns in a different tank (bought it from a friend) hosting 3 anemones...maintaining 2 different tanks is difficult. [emoji51]
I don't know. I originally planned on consolidation and if I do that I don't think there will be room for them and corals and any tlc fish in a 30 coral tank. If I keep it at a 55 it would be ok. They came with a large group of fish and corals I got so I just thought I would rehome them once I knew they were healthy. Watching them care for the eggs and look at me without any fear even though it has only been 3 days got to me.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 92 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 109 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back