Mushroom attachment question.

beebot99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a couple of mushrooms but I’m having some trouble getting them to attach.

At first I used seachem reef glue but this didn’t work. I did some research and I saw some people using a net.

I’ve had it like this for. Few days and it just keeps moving around under the netting. (Net was just cut from a spare media bag)

Is this going to be alright? It’s a wonderful mushroom so I’d very much like it to attach here.

Also, anyone know what type it is?

image.jpg image.jpg

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t glue a mushroom, the net should be fine. You can make a little box out the plastic mesh they sell at craft stores. Be patient with it attaching, I’ve had them floating around the tank for weeks before they do anything. I can’t see the mushroom to try to identify.

OP
OP
beebot99

beebot99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t glue a mushroom, the net should be fine. You can make a little box out the plastic mesh they sell at craft stores. Be patient with it attaching, I’ve had them floating around the tank for weeks before they do anything. I can’t see the mushroom to try to identify.
I’ll continue to leave it. Once it’s attached I’ll remove the net and get some better photos for identification. :)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the rubble way worked for me…the net probably does work but I would think it could also irritate the mushroom as it would be touching it too much.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a small plastic cup in the tank with some rubble? Sounds easy enough. Guess it’ll sit in there until it attaches. Can I use small rubble?
Big enough so you can place glue on it and stick the mushroom where you want. Make sure you place the container on the sand in a low flow area. I’ve done this for both mushrooms and leather corals and it never failed.

OP
OP
beebot99

beebot99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big enough so you can place glue on it and stick the mushroom where you want. Make sure you place the container on the sand in a low flow area. I’ve done this for both mushrooms and leather corals and it never failed.
Awesome. I’ll give this a try.

They came on a big rock so I definitely had to remove them from it. But even frag plugs, I don’t like the look of them. Definitely prefer the look of a coral directly on the rock. Will try get some small rubble that can glue to the rock without being seen. Thank you :D

OP
OP
beebot99

beebot99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leather coral is actually on my list for that tank. Toadstool leather. Guessing the same technique applies which is cool.

OP
OP
beebot99

beebot99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh. I’ve got a bunch of filter media spare. Would this work as rubble? Could even break it up a bit more too. It’s Fluval bio-fx.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy mushroom baskets to put the rubble in, with holes for flow and a lid, mushrooms can move, they are really good at it if not attached to something.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back