MY 14g BC w/LEDs

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all.

I started my tank a little over a month ago after being out of the hobby for about 2 1/2 years. I decided to use my old 14g Biocube, but update the PC bulbs to LEDs and do a few other modifications.
I pulled out the old PC bulbs and put in 2 Ecoxotic Panaorama strips(the combo strips).
095.jpg

I hooked everything up to my RKE and am using 2 BRS dosing pumps for 2 part.
Stand.jpg

I was lucky enough to score some live rock from a good friend of mine that was breaking down his tank and here it is as of last week.
FTS2-16-11.jpg

I have added an inTank Media Basket to the 2nd chamber, set of R2 Moonlights in the hood, an ATO, and a MP10w ES.

I was also able to pickup some really nice coral frags this weekend and when I get a chance I will post an updated FTS.

Thanks.

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet. looks super clean for all that stuff piled into such a small place. nice work there dude

OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yall.

I am hoping to get the RKE hooked up to the computer tonight and then mount it on the bracket I built for it this weekend. I also need to get the MP10 mounted in place, but I was holding off because my fish hated it at first and it was looking like I wasn't going to be able to use the MP10. Luckily for me my clowns are back to normal swimming all over the tank now enjoying the random flow.
The only problem I am still having is with the pH probe. It is reading 9.4 and my manual tests(API and Salifert) are all reading at 8.4. I have tried recalibrating the probe a few times now with no luck.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might still need add some flow...;) I didn't see any mention of what you plan on keeping in there but am guessing sps due to the mp-10....

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even in my 28g nanocube the mp10 is ridiculous. I have it set on strength setting 2.

OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might still need add some flow...;) I didn't see any mention of what you plan on keeping in there but am guessing sps due to the mp-10....

SPS will be the main corals, but I plan on making it a mix reef. Right now I have LOTR zoas, Nuclear Green Payls, Miami Hurricane Chalice, Forest Fire Monty, Sunset Monty, and Rainbow Monty frags seeing how well these lights perform.

even in my 28g nanocube the mp10 is ridiculous. I have it set on strength setting 2.

I have it on setting 1 and it is still kicking pretty nicely in this small of a tank. It isn't so bad as to disturb the sand bed, but it did take my clowns a few days to get use to the extra flow.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my clown is still getting adjusted to my MP10 too. I have a 29 biocube and love the mp10. You have a sweet looking setup under your tank too!

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same set-up, BC14 with 2 panorama modules. Although I run an all-blue module as well as the 8 white/4 blue combo module. I will be curious to see how sps does with these lights. I have just zoas and lps in mine. I will be following along!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man!!!1smile1 I really miss my solana it was a cool little nano I should have never sold it...:( or should I say gave it away..250$ for the complete setup with a mh pendant and all...arrrrr

OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same set-up, BC14 with 2 panorama modules. Although I run an all-blue module as well as the 8 white/4 blue combo module. I will be curious to see how sps does with these lights. I have just zoas and lps in mine. I will be following along!

I thought about going with the all-blue for one of them and I kind of wish I did. I would like my lights to be a little bluer. The couple sps frags I have in the tank have been in there for only about 4 days, but they have colored back up nicely and are showing some nice polyp extension. We will see how they do over the next month or so before I start investing too much money in SPS.

Looking good man!!!1smile1 I really miss my solana it was a cool little nano I should have never sold it...:( or should I say gave it away..250$ for the complete setup with a mh pendant and all...arrrrr

Thanks. I had this tank setup over 2 years ago and when I had to break it down I almost sold it off, but I am glad I didn't.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your rockwork! Although it looks like it might be a bit tough to scrape the glass in a couple of places. Nice new frags as well.

OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great!!!! Really good job with the setup! Loving the chalices!!!!

Thanks. The MH doesn't show its true colors in the picture and it also has a new eye that is coming in. Hope the ME does as well as it.

Love your rockwork! Although it looks like it might be a bit tough to scrape the glass in a couple of places. Nice new frags as well.

Thanks, I was worried at first about the rockword being too close to the glass(it is hard to aquascape this little cube), but I use a NanoMag Magnetic Cleaner and it gets between the rocks and glass with ease.

My brand new MP10 is giving me problems now. I went to check on the tank last night and the controller for it was flashing red. After doing some research it looks like something is off with the in tank part. I cleaned it and lined it up again and it tried to kick on, but only for a few seconds and then it turns off and the button starts flashing red again. I emailed EcoTech last night about the problem, but still haven't heard anything. Looks like I am going to have to swap it out for a while.
On another note. I am borrowing a PAR Meter this weekend from a fellow club memeber to see how these Ecoxotic Panoramas are doing. I am really thinking about upgrading them to Cree LEDs, but before I do I want to see how well these perform.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The MH doesn't show its true colors in the picture and it also has a new eye that is coming in. Hope the ME does as well as it.

Thanks, I was worried at first about the rockword being too close to the glass(it is hard to aquascape this little cube), but I use a NanoMag Magnetic Cleaner and it gets between the rocks and glass with ease.

My brand new MP10 is giving me problems now. I went to check on the tank last night and the controller for it was flashing red. After doing some research it looks like something is off with the in tank part. I cleaned it and lined it up again and it tried to kick on, but only for a few seconds and then it turns off and the button starts flashing red again. I emailed EcoTech last night about the problem, but still haven't heard anything. Looks like I am going to have to swap it out for a while.
On another note. I am borrowing a PAR Meter this weekend from a fellow club memeber to see how these Ecoxotic Panoramas are doing. I am really thinking about upgrading them to Cree LEDs, but before I do I want to see how well these perform.

Man that sucks about the MP10. I am curious to know what ecotech has to say about it. I found this on another forum...hope it helps

Ecotechs fix...

The flashing red light indicates a pump disconnect error. We've found that the MP10 motors don't really take to our pump-disconnect calibration procedure, with some portion of motors that have been calibrated experiencing falls stalls, especially at lower RPM's. To correct this, simply cancel the pump disconnect calibration by performing the following steps:

hold mode (pump blinks white)
hold mode and set (pump blinks yellow/white)
cycle power to the pump

More info here: http://ecotechmarine.com/faq/trouble...t-should-i-do/

This will clear out the calibration and your pump will not false-stall

OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks about the MP10. I am curious to know what ecotech has to say about it. I found this on another forum...hope it helps

Ecotechs fix...

The flashing red light indicates a pump disconnect error. We've found that the MP10 motors don't really take to our pump-disconnect calibration procedure, with some portion of motors that have been calibrated experiencing falls stalls, especially at lower RPM's. To correct this, simply cancel the pump disconnect calibration by performing the following steps:

hold mode (pump blinks white)
hold mode and set (pump blinks yellow/white)
cycle power to the pump

More info here: http://ecotechmarine.com/faq/trouble...t-should-i-do/

This will clear out the calibration and your pump will not false-stall

Thanks and at about the same time you posted this Ecotech emailed me the same instructions. I will give it a try when I get home later.

Be sure to post back what par readings you get, I would appreciate it! Thanks.

I sure will

OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I borrowed a PAR Meter this morning and was able to get some readings in my tank.

All of these readings were taken directly in the middle of the tank under both sets of lights

Just below the water surface in the middle of the tank
Center 422
Left 380
Right 391

6 inches under the surface in the middle of the tank
Center 216
Left 177
Right 168

12 inches(top of sandbed)
Center 122
Left 84
Right 90

As you can see these LEDs lose PAR very quickly. I took some other measures in the front and back of the tank and they were 30-40 less than in the center of the tank in the same area.

Now the questions is...Should I upgrade my lights? I have been seriously thinking about upgrading to Cree LEDS. What do yall think?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back