OP
OP
Russter

Russter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of my tank at a little over a year old.

[video=youtube;8BIvo365IaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BIvo365IaU&hd=1[/video]

OP
OP
Russter

Russter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbed a new 20 gal tank into the system to be used as a frag tank. Drilled it and put it on top of the sump using my old T5 lights. Total system water volume is around 65 gallons now.

IMG_0295.jpg

Everything seems very stable in the tank again and corals are showing some good growth.

pH: 8.25-8.33
Cal: 460-490 ppm
Alk: 9 DKH
Phos: 0.04 ppm
Nitr: 0.00 ppm
Mag: 1300 ppm
Sal: 35 ppt

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russter

Russter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth Shots

Oct 2, 2011
IMG_0053.jpg

Nov 27,2011
IMG_0310.jpg

Oct 2, 2011
IMG_0027.jpg

Nov 27, 2011
IMG_0296.jpg

Last edited:

pagerocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really nice setup i too have a 20 gallon high mines been setup for a month now i have green star polyps a clown a fire fish a starry goby , i have a cfs 500 pump was wondering the filter puts out around 500gph was thinking of 2 jbj ocean streams that put out 500gph would that be too much flow

OP
OP
Russter

Russter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really nice setup i too have a 20 gallon high mines been setup for a month now i have green star polyps a clown a fire fish a starry goby , i have a cfs 500 pump was wondering the filter puts out around 500gph was thinking of 2 jbj ocean streams that put out 500gph would that be too much flow

Depending on what kind of corals you are going to be putting in there. It might be too much for a softie tank, but probably good for a SPS tank. You will have to experiment to find out what works for you. Every tank is different in how the water flows in and around the rocks. Good luck!

OP
OP
Russter

Russter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas everyone! I got a new HD camcorder for Christmas so what better way to test it out than on my tank. Make sure you watch in 1080p.

[video=youtube;4DzZM9oiSZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzZM9oiSZg&hd=1[/video]

OP
OP
Russter

Russter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling some gelidium algae for the last little while. I have raised the magnesium levels and that seemed to at least slow it down a bit but it is very stubborn. So I purchased a bio-pellet reactor. I got the SWC UR-80 Bio-Pellet Reactor and it is being powered by a King 400 (by Resun) water pump. The media I am using is the SWC Xtreme NP Reduction Bio media. They recommend 250 ml of pellets so I started off the 125 ml. Here is a video of it in action.

[video=youtube_share;vXwodvW-uTg]http://youtu.be/vXwodvW-uTg[/video]

OP
OP
Russter

Russter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, great idea abaout put a bio pellets reactor but mi opinion is that they are moving very fast.

Everything I have read so far is that you need a fast tumbling action or you could have potential problems. I do have the ability to slow it down with a ball valve if I have to.

OP
OP
Russter

Russter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crash

Some bad news...
I was out of town on business last week and had a fairly major tank crash. For some unknown reason, the return pump decided to quit. Because I have the heaters in the sump, this means that if there is no water movement between sump and the DT, then there is no heat in the DT. Unfortunately, the temp probe from the Apex was also situated in the sump. This caused two problems: 1)the return pump still had power so no warning message from the apex and 2)the sump remained heated so the temp probe showed normal temp range.
Best guess is DT was without heat for 24-36 hrs. Temp in DT was 68F.
I have now put the temp probe in the weir of the DT so that if the return fails again then I will be notified by the apex of a temp drop.
All SPS corals died as well as devils club leather, colt coral and hammer coral.
On the good side of all this, I was able to take out the chunk of rock that had some algae on it and replace it with a nice new chunk of dead rock I had laying around.
And I put in an order for 11 new SPS frags to fill in the now empty looking tank. Frags have all opened up and look healthy...pics to follow.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for your troubles...but thanks for the info about where your heater and probes were located. I was thinking of placing my heater in the display the other day, just for this reason.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like everything is growing well! Congrats!

Back