My 29 Gallon Budget Bio-Cube Build

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this will be my first Build That I am documenting, and Hopefully People will Enjoy the Ride

I have had all Kinds of fish tanks Both Fresh and salt, from a 2 Gallon up to a 450 gallon (That was freshwater) biggest saltwater was 180

I always Jump the gun and think way ahead and try to do to much, so this time I am taking it slow, going to take pictures,keep details and also show that you can have a great slice of the ocean with out breaking the bank.

So I picked up a 29 gallon Bio-cube and stand a few weeks back from the Marketplace on FB, I got it with the Stand and a media Rack for $50

So for lighting I'm going with a AI prime, I got it from a friend who owed me some money, he also gave me a heater, a nano power head (Korilla) and a skimmer but not sure its going to work.

Going thru the basement I found a few things left over from My purge I did of all my old stuff and I found a medium size korilla Powerhead so I will be using that for now.

I didn't want a complete open top because of the cats, so I got out the grinder and cut the hood after I gutted it. I will post a few pics.

So I'm thinking for filtration, I will use pond matrix in the bottom of the second chamber, and in the media rack I'm going to use Chemi-pure and then filter floss. Since I have room next to the media rack I'm going to do a fuge. I want to find a light that I can stick to the glass and hold on with a magnet. I used to have a jbj one and sold it UGH

That part will happen later as I want to work on rock work lay out and such.

Well Last night I went on c/l and found a 4 stage ro/di, 3 bags of reef crystals,a tds meter and Hydrometer for $100. Guy set up a tank and said it was too much work and went back to freshwater. ( It was a nice tank with all the angels and roseline barbs)

So This Time I'm going to mount the ro/di on the basement wall so its not sitting on top of the washing machine.

My ultimate goal is to have a mixed reef with a emphasis on zoas and palys, and inverts as I love watching them do there thing.

I will be looking for a ATO soon as I have a cube tank that fits perfect in the stand and holds 20+ gallons

The Budget part of this build come from Im disabled from a work accident and have issues with my back,knee and a closed head injury. I plan on trying to get back into a part time job soon but My wife is being tested for Cancer and has to have a surgery in 2 weeks. She is the money maker in the house so its going to be tuff as she wont get paid for the first 4 weeks she is off and she is supposed to be off 6 weeks.

I was asked by her to set up a tank as she wants to be able to watch the growth and even though noting will be in there other then rock while she recovers, its still something to look at.

So between Market place, c/l and what ever people want to throw my way :) , it will be the best budget build I can possibly do.

So stay Tuned, I will be adding some pictures here in a few and as I make things happen I will be posting.

Thanks for reading

Rich

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the start to the build

IMG_20190626_134018.jpg

IMG_20190626_134008.jpg

IMG_20190626_133603.jpg

IMG_20190626_133554.jpg

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I figured out by coming across a link about skimmers for bio-cubes what skimmer I have

It is a Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115, well its missing the cup and lid. So I contacted aquaticlife and asked where I could buy one.

Well Dave at aquaticlife says, What is your address, its coming your way free of charge.

I didn't ask for it to be free but that is a major bonus since this is a Budget Build.

So Many Thanks to Dave at @AquaticLifeProducts

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190628_115810.jpg
I'm making water, I know it's a simple install of a ro/di unit but it's mounted and not just laying around like I have in the past.

I will be bringing the tank in today and a friend is giving me his live sand from his bio-cube as he got a bigger tank.

So hopefully by Sunday I will have water and sand in the tank :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's in the house and after loosing my mind with the AI prime, I have the light on. I think it is looking good, and I added some rock
IMG_20190629_213428.jpg
IMG_20190629_213420.jpg

Staticx0216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Like what you have so far. Me and my wife were going to go with a biocube and ended up with a Innovative Marine 40 Aio instead so looking forward to the progress.

My dad had cancer years back and is all cleared now so I get it. Just make sure to keep your wife positive. Anything and everything makes a difference. Best of luck to you both on everything down that road.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Riche, looking good. I'm running an older biocube 29 as well. I picked up mine this past winter and have found it to be a great tank. I've got a 250W MH over it (I got the tank, stand and lights for $80!) and and growing primarily SPS in it. For stocking, I've gone with gobies which deliver great color, movement and personality, and bang for the buck. I haven't been running a skimmer and instead rely on water changes, but I'll give the Mini Protein Skimmer 115 consideration, especially after how they treated you.

From a budget perspective, I've had great success just watching local aquarium forums and craigslist for deals on equipment and livestock. You'll be rewarded, if you're patient, with some good deals.

I like the biocube 29 as it's a great tank for a focused reef - given the size limitations I really have to give a lot of thought to what I want to add and how I want the future layout to look as the corals grow out. I think you'll enjoy your new tank.

Looking forward to more updates!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back