My 40 Gallon Build Thread

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leading up to Christmas of 2021, my dad suggested that he give my four kids an aquarium setup. Twenty-five years ago, when I was in middle school, I had a 75g salt water tank. Back then the rules and setup seemed to be fairly simple. So when my dad said that he had a 40 gallon sea clear acrylic tank, light hood, and an aquaclear 70 filter, we thought we were mostly on our way. Add some salt to tap water with dechlorinator, some playsand, few pieces of live rock, and a heater and we will be up and running.

PXL_20220114_202229279.jpg

(The three oldest receiving the tank from their grandfather 1/14/22)

Since I build furniture on the side, I figured it would be no problem to build the stand myself. That part went well, other than the fact that I would change the design up next time. I also decided to paint the back of the aquarium blue. I used Benjamin Moore INSLX-STIX primer that I had tinted blue. I believe I used 4 heavy coats of the primer followed by two heavy coats of Rustoleum. I finished painting the tank and making the stand by January 23, well, other than installing the cabinet doors.

PXL_20220123_160855440.jpg

So here is where my old knowledge from 25 years ago start to bite me. The next day we added the play sand to cover the bottom, mixed up some tap water and Instant Ocean salt, and API stress coat. I was really confused as to why I could not find a regular dechlorinator at the store. I mean, that's just aquarium 101. I also added API Quick Start to get the nitrogen cycle going and began dosing with ammonia for a fishless cycle.

When I went to buy live rock on the 29th I learned about all of my mistakes. I tested my phosphates, and yes, they were crazy high. Between 1/29 and now (3/28), I have done two treatments with phosphate removing balls and have done enough water changes that there can't be much more than traces of whatever the tap water brought in. It is still to be seen whether or not the play sand will be an issue. For now, I like it. When we picked up the live rock on 1/29, we also got a hitch hiker asterina starfish. My little boy went nuts over that starfish.
PXL_20220130_023246585.jpg

PXL_20220130_014933735.jpg

(More to come)

Last edited:

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your best to go as natural as possible. Live sand with all of its benefits (various beneficial bacterias) would have been a good starter. Play sand might be questionable? Where do they store this product before packaging etc. beautiful tank and great stand. Great gift for the kids!!! Good luck.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your best to go as natural as possible. Live sand with all of its benefits (various beneficial bacterias) would have been a good starter. Play sand might be questionable? Where do they store this product before packaging etc. beautiful tank and great stand. Great gift for the kids!!! Good luck.
Thank you! And, I now realize this about the sand. I would not use the play sand again but I'm not sure I'm ready to remove all of it. And where has it been stored for the last couple of years? In our sand box......

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only we knew then what we know now. I'm sure you will work through it, and the kids will have fun with all the animals. My two love all inverts. Fill the tank with shrimp and crabs and a couple of fish, and they will be in heaven.
Right? Coming back into the hobby I thought I had a pretty good idea of what was going on. Once I started looking for updates to the hobby I couldn't believe it all! Since then I have spent every extra second reading and watching BRSTV! And shrimp are a great idea. I had the most fun with my last tank when we turned it into a local tank full of shrimp and a shoal of porkfish that we caught on the beach with a dragnet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back