My 75 Gal "Wanna-Be a Reef" when I grow up... upgrade

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you suggest more caves? Are all of the holes in and around the rocks not enough? Also there are small rocks making footers under the big rocks at the bottom to help make “Scotty” the engineer goby, happy. Or are you saying more caves would be prettier?
I'm open to suggestions, and have a good bit more rock to play with, I just didn’t want to make it too busy.
yeah it could- could also offer more places to mount corals, but the main thing is for fish to hide, as well as getting enough flow throughout your tank

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few upgrades to the tank.
My husband got tired of me complaining about the Current USA lights and lack of PAR, so I'm the proud owner of 2 brand new AI Hydra 32HDs, that I haven't got a clue what to do with. I don't understand the app AT ALL and there is ZERO documentation.

My cheapo refugium light went out, so I have a new Tunze EcoChic Submersible Refugium Light arriving tomorow.

I feel like I'm moving up in the world with lighting!

Boomer, my pencil urchin, has now eaten 2/2 of my clove polyps in just over a month, so I tossed him in the refugium. He is keeping my new flasher wrasse company. The only conflict with my new fish, my 6 line wrasse started trying to kill her after about 3 days, so I moved her down there for her safety.

I've got a few new corals and some other fun new fish as well, including a bristletooth tang, and a dusky jawfish (big personality there, as well as appetite)
along with a Kenya tree and an orange mushroom.

Attachments

• Achmed.jpg
    Achmed.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 36
  • New lights.jpg
    New lights.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Kenya Tree.jpg
    Kenya Tree.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to be better at updating all of my work on the tank, but I'm too busy working on my tank!
I realized that I just didn't have enough space to put corals when I came back from a trip to Phoenix, and the Phoenix Coral Show (not why I was in Phoenix) with 10 new corals, a rock flower anemone and Dragons Breath macro algae.
So I dropped everything and totally rescaped my tank - completely ticking off Scotty (engineer goby) and Achmed (Dusky Jawfish)
But I do think it looks so much better now!

75 Gallon 01072023.jpg

Unfortunately I've been having quite a pH problem. Its been bottoming out as low as 7.68, and barely making it up to 7.8 during the day.
I've tried C02 scrubber, with a line running outside, an extra airpump with a line outside, reverse lighting in the refugium, extra crushed coral.
My Alkalinity is good, stable at 9.5 to 10.5. Its just the pH that is the problem.
Tonight I finally am starting to dose Kalkwasser for the first time.
I'm also going to start switching the salt over to Red Sea Salt.

Two of my clove polyps have died since all of this started.
Hopefully the Kalk will get me past it.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to be better at updating all of my work on the tank, but I'm too busy working on my tank!
I realized that I just didn't have enough space to put corals when I came back from a trip to Phoenix, and the Phoenix Coral Show (not why I was in Phoenix) with 10 new corals, a rock flower anemone and Dragons Breath macro algae.
So I dropped everything and totally rescaped my tank - completely ticking off Scotty (engineer goby) and Achmed (Dusky Jawfish)
But I do think it looks so much better now!

75 Gallon 01072023.jpg

Unfortunately I've been having quite a pH problem. Its been bottoming out as low as 7.68, and barely making it up to 7.8 during the day.
I've tried C02 scrubber, with a line running outside, an extra airpump with a line outside, reverse lighting in the refugium, extra crushed coral.
My Alkalinity is good, stable at 9.5 to 10.5. Its just the pH that is the problem.
Tonight I finally am starting to dose Kalkwasser for the first time.
I'm also going to start switching the salt over to Red Sea Salt.

Two of my clove polyps have died since all of this started.
Hopefully the Kalk will get me past it.
What salt were you using prior to Red Sea Salt?

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt were you using prior to Red Sea Salt?
Reef Crystals. I haven't actually switched to Red Sea yet.
We just finished mixing the Red Sea, and followed all of the directions to a T.
When the temp got up to 77 and I checked the pH it was 7.1.
I know it says on the website it should mix up at 8.1-8.3!
I was just about to do a small water change...

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my pH is improving with the switch over to Red Sea Salt, as well as going to the lfs to get their RO/DI water, instead of ours.
Though, now I'm having some vastly different readings on the pH.
From my Tuesday water check, my Seneye keeps showing 7.69 or worse - even after I adjusted the trim.
My other probe that hangs in the tank shows 7.8ish.
The newest handheld pH meter that my husband bought showed 8.1. It is like the one he uses in his boiler business, so I've decided to trust it.
I did check it with the 7.0 and 10.0 solutions, but I also checked the other one and recalibrated it.
All my other parameters were pretty good - except magnesium.
Salinity - 1.024
Nitrates - 30
Nitrites - 0
Phosphate - .25
Ammonia - .25
Calcium - 440
Magnesium - 1125
Alkalinity - 8.57

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think my pH is improving with the switch over to Red Sea Salt, as well as going to the lfs to get their RO/DI water, instead of ours.
Though, now I'm having some vastly different readings on the pH.
From my Tuesday water check, my Seneye keeps showing 7.69 or worse - even after I adjusted the trim.
My other probe that hangs in the tank shows 7.8ish.
The newest handheld pH meter that my husband bought showed 8.1. It is like the one he uses in his boiler business, so I've decided to trust it.
I did check it with the 7.0 and 10.0 solutions, but I also checked the other one and recalibrated it.
All my other parameters were pretty good - except magnesium.
Salinity - 1.024
Nitrates - 30
Nitrites - 0
Phosphate - .25
Ammonia - .25
Calcium - 440
Magnesium - 1125
Alkalinity - 8.57
Bring that magnesium up for sure. I saw HUGE improvements in my tank after raising from 1160 to 1280. I used the Kent Tech M liquid and the Seachem Reef Advantage - the Tech M did way better in my opinion.

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to add that I've been dosing Mag for the week, 50ml/day. I had QuantumUSA but I just emptied the bottle.
Since I switched to Red Sea Salt I ordered the Red Sea Magnesium, but I saw the Kent and it was less $$. If I'd seen your post before I did that I would have tried it.

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize how long it had been since I updated!
I've done several things, added several things and am getting ready to change my rockscape.
Additions - waving xenia, rock flower anemone, BTA, two small clowns, ... maybe more.
I'm adding a dosing pump soon. I have it, I just need to fit it in.
I've added several corals as well. And a feather duster.

My Current USA wave pumps are going out - 2 gone, one left, I added a cheap gyre, but that isn't cutting it. Going to get something better. I wanted to go with MP10s, or a gyre and MP10.

I will post some pics in a few minutes (from my phone)

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got to get better at updating this...
Since I last posted, I completely rescaped the tank, had several issues, a dino outbreak, cyano, lost some fish...
Anyway, the tank has turned the corner and looks much better now.
In the meantime, we set up a 120 reef in my husband's office/my fish room.
Then, because I'm insane, a 125 in the living room.
And further craziness, a 100 gallon breeding system, consisting of 4 20g tanks and a sump.
Pictures coming.

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, the 75g. I've included a few. The last picture is from the back side.
You can see there is still some algae. I've just added a lot more clean up crew.
Bottom left, my last remaining rock flower anemone is doing great!
I have a lot of waving xenia, Kenyan tree, doing well.
My blue-green mushroom, about a 3rd over from the bottom left, The picture doesn't do it justice.
There are a few sps, several orange mushrooms, pipe organ. Towards the middle right, I have a new scrolling coral and a hairy mushroom that I find fascinating.

Fish - 5 Pajama Cardinals, 2 clowns, a scooter blenny, yellow watchman goby, I just added a pistol shrimp, but they haven't paired up yet. I know the pistol shrimp is digging a lot of tunnels.
There is a small horseshoe crab that has been in there since July 23, doing well. There is a brittle star that lives in the rocks to the right, he has gotten huge, and I'm not sure he can get out. :face-savoring-food:

Equipment: 2 AI Prime Hydra 32s, Hydros feeder, Octo Skimmer, UV Sterilizer, Carbon reactor, Trigger system sump
PXL_20240308_150618088.jpg
PXL_20240308_150637886.jpg
PXL_20240308_150644480.MP.jpg
PXL_20240308_150651765.jpg
PXL_20240308_150704424.jpg

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This acrylic 125g with a homemade stand in our living room. Its been set up since around summer 2023.
I've not been happy with it since we got it. First, in moving we cracked it in 2 places, both on top, one in the front left, one in back right. I fixed them using Weld-on, and there are no leaks.
BUT, the problems started after that.
The fish that came with the tank included a tomato clown, HUGE sailfin tang (Sebastian), a long nosed yellow butterfly (Tweety), blue sided wrasse (Diva), two 3 bar damsels (Heckle & Jeckel) and ... I don't remember what else. A few died in their temporary tank. The others, I should have quarantined or something. First the sailfin developed something, then my engineer goby (Scotty, 4 years old) caught it, then my dusky jawfish (Achmed). All that remains now is the 3 bar damsel.

Then, it all seemed good. We set it up, bought another sailfin - a Djardini this time, and a convict tang (Otis), moved my huge Tennenti Tang (Tina), bristletooth tang (Laureli), lawnmower blenny (Toro), and a few others in to the tank, with the intention of making it a FOWLR tank. Something happened, one by one they started dying. At the same time a big outbreak of dinos, then cyano. I forgot to mention my large conch died too.
Only the sailfin (still unnamed) and the convict tang (Otis) and the cleaner wrasse survived.

So, With all that, I've had the lights off the last week and the cyano is almost gone.
My mother maintains this tank is cursed. I'd replace it in a heartbeat.

Equipment: 3 Nicrew HyperReef 100s, Hydros Feeder, Jebao return pump. 4 smaller Jebao wave pumps, UV Sterilizer, carbon reactor. ATO.

I am planning on adding some pretty macroalgae. I have a list of fish I want to add to this tank, including a Raccoon Butterfly, Pyramid Angel, another Lawnmower Blenny, another Tenennti Tang, Bristletooth Tang...
PXL_20240308_150711608.jpg
PXL_20240308_150737278.jpg

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 gallon tank, in my husband's office, slowly becoming my fish room. When he gets tired of this, he will enclose the carport for me :cool:
We bought this tank from someone else, my husband loves it because it is very deep, I think 24 inches. Initially we talked about it being a predator tank. I'm thinking I'd like to put a collection of wrasses in it.
All the rock in this tank came from another tank we got from someone else, an 80 gallon that had been set up for over 20 years, and the rock was what he collected diving in the Florida Keys.

It is going to be a reef, technically.
Currently living in this tank:
Rainbow Wrasse (Dorothy),
Carpenter's Fairy Wrasse (Grabber - because he is orange, and my husband has a Grabber Orange Saleen Mustang. He comes up with all the names)
3 bar damsel (Heckle/Jeckle)
Springeri Damsel (Indigo)
Engineer Goby (Scotty the 3rd)
Dusky Jawfish (Achmed the 3rd)
Pencil Urchin (Boomer)
Hermit crab I brought back from Myrtle Beach last year (he's down front in the middle)
Flame Scallop

I only have a few corals in the tank. Waving Xenia, Kenyan Tree, Grandis Palys (top center - I leave them in this tank because they are just happy there) A large zoa colony, just to the right of the Palys, some bright green mushrooms, one orange mushroom and my first Lobo.

Equipment:
The lights are two OceanRevive Artcic T247 lights. The canopy is really heavy, and my husband removed the front part because he was concerned that myself or my mother would smash ourselves with it. (I could barely lift it, my mother couldn't)

4 small Jebao wavemakers, skimmer, carbon reactor, UV Sterilizer, ATO.
PXL_20240308_150803417.jpg
PXL_20240308_162616220.jpg
PXL_20240308_162637616.jpg
PXL_20240308_162643138.MP.jpg
PXL_20240308_162646663.jpg

OP
OP
whybenormal

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last but not lease, my new breeding set up.
I've been dabbling with breeding saltwater Mollies, and I've been able to supply a couple LFS. I wanted to get something set up a little more stable.
I used the stand from a 125g that the tank got broken for, my husband removed the doors and made the openings as wide as possible for convenience. He plumped all the tanks to the sump, and put valves so I can turn off the flow and drain for each tank separately.
Underneath there is a 40 breeder tank with baffles for a sump, and a 10g for the ATO resevoir.
The lights are two 48" Current USA lights. My husband made 3 braces from aluminum (I don't remember what it is called) to hang the lights.
To the right I have some phyto I've been culturing.
You can't see the brine shrimp cultures in this picture.

Several things will get some upgrades this weekend.
I'm adding 3 types of copepods, one isopods, and some grass shrimp. Once it is all set up I will post a new picture.
Excuse the green water, I had the lights too strong and dosed some phyto, and there you go.
PXL_20240308_150809117.jpg
PXL_20240308_150814859.jpg

Back