Let's See How Many SPS Coral I Can Shove in Here!

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 75 gallon sps tank. It was my "challenge" tank about 4 years ago, to see if I could grow sps coral.

It is a standard Marineland aquarium with a triple drain overflow design, and a 3/4" return. It has a 29g sump. I used the cheap dc Amazon return pump with jebao powerheads. (They usually last about 2 years) I put all the rock on the center of the tank to allow full circulation around it.

It was a challenge for 8 months to keep the coral alive, as I used dry rock with live, black sand. I found out after the fact about the iron scratching the glass!

The tank started out with three Mars Aqua black boxes, but now has four Kessil A360X lights run on the Spectral controller.

Nowadays the reef is thriving and overgrowing. I am very happy with this tank!

IMG_20220720_181419329~4.jpg IMG_20220721_174449_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20220721_174542_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20220721_174600_HDR~2.jpg
We have communicated in the past on You Tube regarding Trident reagent replacement. I want to compliment you on what is one of my favorite SPS tanks yet. It's not just the variety, but the brilliant placement of each and every coral. You are my vision for where I want to be some day...with patience...

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Where from did you acquire your corals?
Most of these I got from a reefing buddy. Some from frag swaps.
I would gladly grab a stylophora frag- and maybe a chalice when you can ship to CA.
I would love to send you some coral, however I cannot ship as I am not home by the cutoff time for overnight shipping.
We have communicated in the past on You Tube regarding Trident reagent replacement. I want to compliment you on what is one of my favorite SPS tanks yet. It's not just the variety, but the brilliant placement of each and every coral. You are my vision for where I want to be some day...with patience...
Thank you very much! Honestly, not too much thought went into coral placement, but I did try to spread the colors out a little. This tank has seen most ailments that everyone gets, I’ve just never given up when those challenges came up. But yes, the key to this tank’s success is stability and patience. Now the coral grow non stop! Lol! Happy Reefing!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back