My 75gal coral addiction tank

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

High functioning coral addict…and not failing???
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Reef Advantage Magnesium and Kent Tech M Magnesium seem to be the most potent for the price. I've seen other brands that cost more and are less potent per mL. LiveAquaria has Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate in bulk for relatively inexpensive so you can mix your own DIY Randy Recipe. BRS.and SaltwaterAquarium.com probably have similar for similar prices.
Saw the seachem on Amazon. Think I’ll buy that.

Recommendations for calcium?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Don't get the Purple Up... It'll cloud your water a lot.

I think I used Seachem last and really liked it. My calcium is usually high though so I rarely dose calcium.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get ESV B-Ionic 2 part, Alk and Cal I know several of us who use it . I’ve used it for at least a year and have no complaints . They also have a mag supplement that I’ve been using as well. Got them on Bulk Reef Supply

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get ESV B-Ionic 2 part, Alk and Cal I know several of us who use it . I’ve used it for at least a year and have no complaints . They also have a mag supplement that I’ve been using as well. Got them on Bulk Reef Supply
So I got AF lab component pro 1,2,3. It was on sale @ BRS when I bought my dosing pumps. I haven’t started using it yet (need to put together my dosing containers) . I’m just trying to get my numbers back where they need to be. Up until a week or so ago I only dosed Dkh daily and mag and cal weekly.

Calcium was usually 400+ and mag 1400+

Curious have you run an ICP test recently?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got AF lab component pro 1,2,3. It was on sale @ BRS when I bought my dosing pumps. I haven’t started using it yet (need to put together my dosing containers) . I’m just trying to get my numbers back where they need to be. Up until a week or so ago I only dosed Dkh daily and mag and cal weekly.

No. Never have. Suppose I should soon.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use recipe #2 but haven't had to make the mag part yet.

From it:

Recipe #1, Part 3A

Dissolve Epsom salts (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate sold by the Dead Sea Works company (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing.

This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of Recipe #1, add 610 mL (2 ½ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.

The first time it's added, I recommend adding just a small portion and making sure there isn't any problem (such as corals closing up due to stress) before adding the remainder. Make sure corals and other organisms don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of the main ingredients or impurities, or else they may become stressed. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium, 70,000 ppm sulfate and 86,000 ppm chloride.

Then this part bears on using Balling Part C:

Residual Ions from the Calcium and Alkalinity Parts

Adding 1 gallon of each of these additives will result in a residue of ions remaining after calcification. These are mostly sodium and chloride, and the amounts of those two added are equal in numbers (i.e., moles), but slightly different in weight-based concentrations such as ppm because they do not weigh the same.

After adding 594 grams of baking soda (1 gallon of Recipe #1), we will have added 163 grams of sodium. In natural seawater, magnesium is present at about 12.0% of the sodium concentration (by weight). In order to match the magnesium additions to the sodium additions to leave them in a natural ratio, we need to add 12% of 163 grams, or 19.5 grams, of magnesium for every gallon of the two-part additive that we add.

Additionally, we may want to account for magnesium that is actually incorporated into the coral skeletons. For this calculation, I have assumed that the amount of magnesium incorporated is about 6.5% of the calcium level (by weight), or about 2.5% of the skeleton by weight. In the course of adding this gallon of both parts of the two part supplement, we added 141 grams of calcium, so we need to add 0.065 x 141 = 9 grams of magnesium to account for this deposition.

The magnesium parts of the recipe are designed to add enough magnesium so that it is not depleted by either of the two means described above. Because the magnesium supplement (either version) is 47,000 mg/L in magnesium, we need to add (9 +19.5) grams/47 g/L = 610 ml of the magnesium solution for each gallon of the other parts of Recipe #1.

Balling Part C takes care of that 19.5 grams related to the sodium chloride buildup, but not the 9 g related to the consumption of magnesium. Thus when using Bling Oart C, you still need about 2/4 of the magnesium in the recipe (the 9 g) and not the full 28.5 g. Thus, use about 200 mL per gallon of alk or calcium used, not the full 610 mL.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use recipe #2 but haven't had to make the mag part yet.
I was actually going to do that. The cost to buy all the stuff would have cost me a bit more than what I paid for the AF Lab Component.

I want to do Randy’s recipe PLUS add the trace elements that Randy says SHOULD be dosed. It will take me a minute to get it all together so I figured this would work for now.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

You did add a TON of recent corals which can cause a drop in numbers.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually going to do that. The cost to buy all the stuff would have cost me a bit more than what I paid for the AF Lab Component.

I want to do Randy’s recipe PLUS add the trace elements that Randy says SHOULD be dosed. It will take me a minute to get it all together so I figured this would work for now.
baking soda is cheap and easy. I'm on the hunt for calc as i am just now running out. it's summer so ice melt is less available than 6 months ago...

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did add a TON of recent corals which can cause a drop in numbers.
Who me?

No way!!!

But really I did expect it.

But trying to get it back up has been a total pain

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so tested mag last night an according to the Salifert test it was at 1200…

According to Randy’s calculator I needed to mix 950grams of Seachem Reef Advance Mag to raise my mag from 1200 to 1450.

By the time I was done mixing it was 1 gallon. Takes a lot to dissolve 950 grams apparently.

I dosed 1/2 last night. I’ll test again today.
I didn’t test calcium because I didn’t have anything to dose, but I should have the Seachem calcium powder tonight. So that will happen - I believe it also helps maintain magnesium- so that will be helpful.

I forgot to test Alk. I’ll do that tonight.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so came home and tested and my Mag was at 1350.

Doses the reason Seachem stock solution. (Which was actually slightly less than 1/2 of what I started with)

Calcium was at 350.

77 grams mixed up and I wait about an hour to dose half of that.

Gonna go test alk. And cal and mag again and I shall be back!!

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Mag 1425.
Dkh 9.9 (last time 9.7 so safe to assume the current dosing is keeping it steady lol)
Cal ….we’ll fist test I messed up…..I repeated it and yup I’m to sleepy for this shiitake.

Here pretty things to distract you from my lack of a calcium number
IMG_0832.jpeg
IMG_0829.jpeg
IMG_0830.jpeg
IMG_0824.jpeg
IMG_0822.jpeg
IMG_0809.jpeg
IMG_0808.jpeg

This hammer is starting to split. From 2 heads to 4. I also notice several others doing th same but it’s not yet noticeable like this one from the tentacle perspective. So I know which corals to blame for the sudden increase in uptake lol
IMG_0795.jpeg
IMG_0794.jpeg
IMG_0793.jpeg
trim.9AECC1B0-634C-40B7-B443-21A446B376CA.gif
IMG_0780.jpeg
IMG_0779.jpeg
IMG_0773.jpeg
IMG_0770.jpeg

Lion man blasto - I’ve give it a new name with its eyes!!

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Mag 1425.
Dkh 9.9 (last time 9.7 so safe to assume the current dosing is keeping it steady lol)
Cal ….we’ll fist test I messed up…..I repeated it and yup I’m to sleepy for this shiitake.

Here pretty things to distract you from my lack of a calcium number
IMG_0832.jpeg
IMG_0829.jpeg
IMG_0830.jpeg
IMG_0824.jpeg
IMG_0822.jpeg
IMG_0809.jpeg
IMG_0808.jpeg

This hammer is starting to split. From 2 heads to 4. I also notice several others doing th same but it’s not yet noticeable like this one from the tentacle perspective. So I know which corals to blame for the sudden increase in uptake lol
IMG_0795.jpeg
IMG_0794.jpeg
IMG_0793.jpeg
trim.9AECC1B0-634C-40B7-B443-21A446B376CA.gif
IMG_0780.jpeg
IMG_0779.jpeg
IMG_0773.jpeg
IMG_0770.jpeg

Lion man blasto - I’ve give it a new name with its eyes!!
But what about the Calci.. ooo, pretty!! Wait, are those eyeballs?

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back