My algae has algae: how to delicately clean red grape macro?

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of red grape macroalgae in my display tank that is covered in hair algae! I don't know how to clean it.

My macro lost all its little grapes when I first got it, but has been slowly regrowing them. The issue is that yanking the hair algae off knocks off the small growing grapes! I spend 2 hours every weekend delicately pulling off the hair algae, but in 2 days, it grows back in full force! Any ideas on how I can clean these?

I can pull the algae out of the tank and dip them, but I don't know what to dip them in. I tried a freshwater dip but it didn't do much. I am considering a peroxide dip but I don't want to hurt the macro.

Full tank photo and zoom in on the macro (completely covered and weighed down) in the background:

20221208_204926.jpg

20221206_154926.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ended up doing separate tank for macroalgae grow outs that I didn't want 'contaminated' with something from my main tank, which ALSO has a planted refugium.

Hair algae will always grow faster and be tougher to kill than grape macro algae.

Added to that, above tank photo SEEMS young which MAY mean your nitrate and phosphate numbers aren't fully stable yet... or maybe you are just more skilled than me at keeping your algae under control... but that also means you are impeding the growth of your red grape macroalgae... personally I don't think shipping cost of replacement red grape should be considered until you get to the other side of treating your hair algae

Your red grape (and red ogo, red pom pom, etc etc) also benefit from light in the redder side of the spectrum. I tried to fight against that... but the experts were right, and in my converted fish QT where I currently have red macros with red/white grow light I'm having my best success EVER!

grow light LED spectrum.JPG

Now if you want to be serious about getting rid of hair algae, you also have to get more serious about not reintroducing it in the future... so that means after/as you get hair algae erradicated in your display tank, then every future coral that you have gets dipped (different dips treat different (none algae)), scrubbed, removed from plug, goes into quarantine CORAL tank for 3-6 months and once sure nothing growing on it, then add to the (future hair algae free) display tank. Otherwise without good coral QT, you are just going to be chasing hair algae, turf algae, and so so so much more that can come in on coral frags...

FOWLRs are so much easier as introduction doesn't bring all those potential nasties (okay, yes, still fish diseases, etc, so FISH QT is still recommended... )

I wish you luck. Your tank looks GREAT! Most would just periodically buy replacement red grape macro because at this point that is (by far) easier approach (and most seem to have money to burn... I don't... haven't yet figured out how to either win lottery jackpot or be born to someone giving me massive trust fund).

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick freshwater dip! Or gently pulling it off. Maybe an urchin too or some snails. They may nibble on it though but I notice the green macros get eaten more than any of the red ones.
I tried freshwater Dips and they haven't done much :(. I've been delicately pulling the hair off for hours each week to no avail!

I got a hector's goby who nibbles it, but nowhere near the growth of the algae

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ended up doing separate tank for macroalgae grow outs that I didn't want 'contaminated' with something from my main tank, which ALSO has a planted refugium.

Hair algae will always grow faster and be tougher to kill than grape macro algae.

Added to that, above tank photo SEEMS young which MAY mean your nitrate and phosphate numbers aren't fully stable yet... or maybe you are just more skilled than me at keeping your algae under control... but that also means you are impeding the growth of your red grape macroalgae... personally I don't think shipping cost of replacement red grape should be considered until you get to the other side of treating your hair algae

Thanks for the detailed reply! Yes, my tank is quite new. I've been dreaming of starting in this hobby for nearly 20 years and this is my first tank. 2 months old!

I test quite regularly (2-3 times per week) and everything seems extremely stable! My phosphate is always < 0.05 ppm and my nitrates are always 1-2 ppm. Maybe the algae is sucking everything up though? Despite the hair algae, the red grapes seem to be growing back in lol. My hope was to have a macro in the DT because I love their look!

Now if you want to be serious about getting rid of hair algae, you also have to get more serious about not reintroducing it in the future... so that means after/as you get hair algae erradicated in your display tank, then every future coral that you have gets dipped (different dips treat different (none algae)), scrubbed, removed from plug, goes into quarantine CORAL tank for 3-6 months and once sure nothing growing on it, then add to the (future hair algae free) display tank. Otherwise without good coral QT, you are just going to be chasing hair algae, turf algae, and so so so much more that can come in on coral frags...

FOWLRs are so much easier as introduction doesn't bring all those potential nasties (okay, yes, still fish diseases, etc, so FISH QT is still recommended... )

I would love to get rid of the hair algae! I also am having a bunch of bryopsis. I'm thinking of trying reefflux. Also, I'm scrubbing the rocks with a brush and picking out big pieces every couple of days. I have a mini UV steralizer in the rear chambers and am looking into more CUC members.

I assumed that once my tank matured, beneficial bacteria/coral growth/CUC members would compete/clean the tank faster than algae growth. I figured the algae will always be there but to such low levels it's not noticeable. Is this true?

I wish you luck. Your tank looks GREAT! Most would just periodically buy replacement red grape macro because at this point that is (by far) easier approach (and most seem to have money to burn... I don't... haven't yet figured out how to either win lottery jackpot or be born to someone giving me massive trust fund).

Thanks so much!! I'm so in love with this hobby and can't wait to build my dream 200+ gallon tank! Unfortunately, my budget is not high and I've already doubled it on my nano tank compared with my initial estimates lol. Do let me know if you figure out how to get a massive trust fund!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed reply! Yes, my tank is quite new. I've been dreaming of starting in this hobby for nearly 20 years and this is my first tank. 2 months old!

I test quite regularly (2-3 times per week) and everything seems extremely stable! My phosphate is always < 0.05 ppm and my nitrates are always 1-2 ppm. Maybe the algae is sucking everything up though? Despite the hair algae, the red grapes seem to be growing back in lol. My hope was to have a macro in the DT because I love their look!

I would love to get rid of the hair algae! I also am having a bunch of bryopsis. I'm thinking of trying reefflux. Also, I'm scrubbing the rocks with a brush and picking out big pieces every couple of days. I have a mini UV steralizer in the rear chambers and am looking into more CUC members.

I assumed that once my tank matured, beneficial bacteria/coral growth/CUC members would compete/clean the tank faster than algae growth. I figured the algae will always be there but to such low levels it's not noticeable. Is this true?

Thanks so much!! I'm so in love with this hobby and can't wait to build my dream 200+ gallon tank! Unfortunately, my budget is not high and I've already doubled it on my nano tank compared with my initial estimates lol. Do let me know if you figure out how to get a massive trust fund!

What is always interesting is we classify "good" and "bad" algae ... which if you stop and think about it, that is subjective from potentially each person's point of view... if you were going to the look at the end of a pier where your boat might be tied up... well hair algae might be the most natural good look around (UGH))

I'm sure you've looked at this thread, but its great to sit and ponder path forward solutions that are going to work for you. Lettuce sea slugs can work on bryopsis but if even a smidge is left, bryopsis return after slugs have died... Most things don't like hair algae, and even if they might a bit, not in any substantive way - and your tank isn't large enough for rabbitfish (poisonous) or tangs (which can turn out to be serious picky divas... I'm sure it can't only be my tangs... lol)

You are SO WISE for realizing your numbers aren't what your numbers read... often it takes people ages for that to really sink in! However, you don't have unsightly algae growing inches a week waving so your numbers also aren't horrible. Your corals need some of that same nitrate and phosphate your algae loves.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it a losing battle. I have two tanks, one with GHA and one without. The Botrycladia grows well in the latter and I periodically trim and replace the Botry in the former.

A quick freshwater dip! Or gently pulling it off. Maybe an urchin too or some snails. They may nibble on it though but I notice the green macros get eaten more than any of the red ones.
My tux urchin destroyed my Botrycladia. Took off whole stems and wore them while eating them. Then finished off the nubs on the rocks that didn't even have grapes on them. Very happy urchin, though!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of red grape macroalgae in my display tank that is covered in hair algae! I don't know how to clean it.

My macro lost all its little grapes when I first got it, but has been slowly regrowing them. The issue is that yanking the hair algae off knocks off the small growing grapes! I spend 2 hours every weekend delicately pulling off the hair algae, but in 2 days, it grows back in full force! Any ideas on how I can clean these?

I can pull the algae out of the tank and dip them, but I don't know what to dip them in. I tried a freshwater dip but it didn't do much. I am considering a peroxide dip but I don't want to hurt the macro.

Full tank photo and zoom in on the macro (completely covered and weighed down) in the background:

20221208_204926.jpg

20221206_154926.jpg

Very nice tank for 3 months mature. I read your tank thread and this thread also.

The best advice on battling GHA on Bortacladia is to prune and discard.

GHA, Cynobacteria, Dinoflagellate and Diatoms are normal in a marine system.

@mizimmer90
Bortacladia is collected in 30’ to 130’ of water. When I get it from the divers, it is dark burgundy. When subjected to increasing intensity, Bortacladia will turn fire engine red and under intense light it is a yellow/orange that is unattractive. I have found that when under more intense light, exudates from this macro accumulate requiring frequent shake cleaning. I have found best results with subdued lighting. This is a 55G mixed garden macro lagoon that is 18 months young. I will be raising black mollies in this tank.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is always interesting is we classify "good" and "bad" algae ... which if you stop and think about it, that is subjective from potentially each person's point of view... if you were going to the look at the end of a pier where your boat might be tied up... well hair algae might be the most natural good look around (UGH))

I'm sure you've looked at this thread, but its great to sit and ponder path forward solutions that are going to work for you. Lettuce sea slugs can work on bryopsis but if even a smidge is left, bryopsis return after slugs have died... Most things don't like hair algae, and even if they might a bit, not in any substantive way - and your tank isn't large enough for rabbitfish (poisonous) or tangs (which can turn out to be serious picky divas... I'm sure it can't only be my tangs... lol)

You are SO WISE for realizing your numbers aren't what your numbers read... often it takes people ages for that to really sink in! However, you don't have unsightly algae growing inches a week waving so your numbers also aren't horrible. Your corals need some of that same nitrate and phosphate your algae loves.
Thanks again for the reply! I haven't thought much about sea slugs but they look pretty cool! Do you have any? Are they guaranteed to die in my small tank?

I'm learning that nothing likes eating the hair algae lol. I've been pretty meticulous with scrubbing it and doing water changed though. I just don't want to have to get rid of my infested red grape

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the exact same issue. I let it grow, and then trim off the parts that have GHA and discard, and let the new stuff continue to grow..

If it is taking months to regrow, you may need to upgrade your lighting.
When I first put them in the tank, they all lost their grapes. It's been a little over a month and they're starting to get their grapes back, except now they're covered in hair algae! I wonder if they'd grow faster if not infested lol

How fast does yours grow?

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it a losing battle. I have two tanks, one with GHA and one without. The Botrycladia grows well in the latter and I periodically trim and replace the Botry in the former.

My tux urchin destroyed my Botrycladia. Took off whole stems and wore them while eating them. Then finished off the nubs on the rocks that didn't even have grapes on them. Very happy urchin, though!

Haha glad the urchin is happy! Does the GHA eventually cover all the new botrycladia?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried hermits? Mine could climb up the macro and gorgs and seemed pretty useful to help clean them.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank for 3 months mature. I read your tank thread and this thread also.

The best advice on battling GHA on Bortacladia is to prune and discard.

GHA, Cynobacteria, Dinoflagellate and Diatoms are normal in a marine system.

@mizimmer90
Bortacladia is collected in 30’ to 130’ of water. When I get it from the divers, it is dark burgundy. When subjected to increasing intensity, Bortacladia will turn fire engine red and under intense light it is a yellow/orange that is unattractive. I have found that when under more intense light, exudates from this macro accumulate requiring frequent shake cleaning. I have found best results with subdued lighting. This is a 55G mixed garden macro lagoon that is 18 months young. I will be raising black mollies in this tank.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Good info! Thanks for the encouragement and you have a beautiful tank yourself!

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried hermits? Mine could climb up the macro and gorgs and seemed pretty useful to help clean them.
I have 1 scarlet hermit, 3 red dwarf, and a blue dwarf, none of which are interested in this algae lol. I see them climbing the algae for fun but they don't seem interested in eating it. Instead they all swarm the pellet food when it come as if they've never eaten before ‍

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back