My Biocube29

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, checked all 3 chambers and they weren't back there... I'm guessing that the small green cromis starved because it wouldn't eat pellets and a hermit had a snack. I usually feed brine shrimp about 3 times a week, but sometimes I get really busy with school and work and just forget. Maybe thats what happened to the stripped blenny as well. No idea where the clownfish went though.

And they did not jump out of the tank? If they did not them I am wondering what is going on as losing 3 fish is somewhat unusual ... Are you sure there is no Mantis Shrimp in the tank ? I am just wondering what could have happened to them and whether there is something in the tank that attacks them during the night. Did you ever find any bodies?

OP
OP
ajensen23

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And they did not jump out of the tank? If they did not them I am wondering what is going on as losing 3 fish is somewhat unusual ... Are you sure there is no Mantis Shrimp in the tank ? I am just wondering what could have happened to them and whether there is something in the tank that attacks them during the night. Did you ever find any bodies?

The biocube has it's stock lid on it, so there's no way they could have jumped out. And I never found any bodies... Not sure either, lets just hope it doesn't happen again!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biocube has it's stock lid on it, so there's no way they could have jumped out. And I never found any bodies... Not sure either, lets just hope it doesn't happen again!

I hope so too but I would inspect the tank at night to see what you have that is in there that you may not see during the day as IMO losing 3 fish and not finding any bodies is kind of a strange thing to happen and IME from others who have had this happen it could be a carnivorous fireworm or a Mantis Shrimp or a Stone Crab that is catching them during the night. And the only time you will see what is there that may have brought this about is IME during the night ... FWIW

Bootstrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only advice I have for a biocube is keep an eye on the cooling fans and lights. I had one (yes HAD one) until it caught my house on fire, and my family and I had to stay in a hotel for a month and then a rental houes for another 4 months. Apparently they are notorious for their fans burning out and then lights getting to hot and melting cover. note I didn't have one with the LED's. Other than that I liked it lol. good luck with it, but PLEASE keep and eye on it, I wouldnt want that happening to someone else.

I hope you contacted a lawyer...

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

OP
OP
ajensen23

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really thinking about upgrading to LEDs. I am considering the Aqua Illumination Nano. Anyone have one of these? I think this would fit my tank well. Any advice would be helpful!

ZeroBerry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded to LED lighting on my Biocube and looking back I only wish I'd done it sooner. I went with a Rapidled.com kit. all instructions are pretty strait forward. You get the benefits of the LEDs and still have the stock hood look.

OP
OP
ajensen23

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the AI Nano. The mounting bracket it came with only mounts to rimless tanks, so I used some pvc pipe and created my own bracket. I drilled the pvc to the back of the stand and braced it with some 2x4's. The LED's are sweet and give a nice shimmer effect. The only downside is that since there is no hood anymore I am constantly topping off the tank. Would anyone recommend creating a acrylic cover for the tank to help with evaporation? I have noticed that I do not get any cyano algae on the sand bed anymore after the upgrade. Here's a picture of the fixture/bracket.
IMAG0915.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the AI Nano. The mounting bracket it came with only mounts to rimless tanks, so I used some pvc pipe and created my own bracket. I drilled the pvc to the back of the stand and braced it with some 2x4's. The LED's are sweet and give a nice shimmer effect. The only downside is that since there is no hood anymore I am constantly topping off the tank. Would anyone recommend creating a acrylic cover for the tank to help with evaporation? I have noticed that I do not get any cyano algae on the sand bed anymore after the upgrade. Here's a picture of the fixture/bracket.

Nice ....

OP
OP
ajensen23

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol what is that silly chromis doing in your hammer coral??
I was also wondering this, lol. I have no idea why but he used to sit on top of it like that all the time, but he has since passed away..

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 39 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back