My Blue tang not looking good...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It isn’t velvet - that causes rapid breathing, hanging in water currents, followed swiftly by death.

With that continuous scratching, I’d say this is flukes, but I’d like to wait for a better video under whiter lights.
Thanks Jay - I have a question - I was going to say do copper and prazipro together - but didn't because I thought with the other deaths in the tank quickly - that mitigated against flukes (i.e. I would have done the copper, then the prazipro together up front).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay - I have a question - I was going to say do copper and prazipro together - but didn't because I thought with the other deaths in the tank quickly - that mitigated against flukes (i.e. I would have done the copper, then the prazipro together up front).
I missed the fast deaths - in that case, you’re right, copper and prazi would be better.

OP
OP
D

Draxlupito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn’t velvet - that causes rapid breathing, hanging in water currents, followed swiftly by death.

With that continuous scratching, I’d say this is flukes, but I’d like to wait for a better video under whiter lights.

Thanks for the reply!
So here is the videos with better view.

OP
OP
D

Draxlupito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size again? 35 cubic meter would be enormous. 35 liters perhaps? That would be very small.

55x50x40 centimeters would be 110 liters (appx 29 gallons) = more than adequate for the 6 fish

35x35x35 centimeters would be 43 liters (appx 11 gallons) = too small for the 6 fish

Appears the tank has a lot of calcium-based rock and substrate which cannot be used in QT.

You should also place a bowl of inert sand (not aragonite) in the QT for the wrasse to bury in.
Thank you, that's really useful information. But the wrassel doesn't seem to like burying itself in the sand. It prefers to snuggle in rock crevices. In the old tank, even though the sand is very small, I have never seen it snuggle in the sand. You're right, there's a lot of calcium-based rock underneath. Will it affect the treatment process?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium based rock will absorb copper. Maintaining the correct level of copper will be difficult. When treatment is concluded, you will not be able to put coral or invertebrates in the tank because copper will continue to leach into the water.

Many wrasse bury in sand only st night when they sleep.

OP
OP
D

Draxlupito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, this is hard to believe, but before I caught all the fish and put them in the quarantine tank, I did a treatment I found on the internet. That is, put a pinch of ginger powder twice a day in the tank. And somehow miraculously, today all my dory problems disappeared, including the 2 clownfish. Can anyone explain what happened to me? I thought it was a scam and the results far exceeded my expectations.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, this is hard to believe, but before I caught all the fish and put them in the quarantine tank, I did a treatment I found on the internet. That is, put a pinch of ginger powder twice a day in the tank. And somehow miraculously, today all my dory problems disappeared, including the 2 clownfish. Can anyone explain what happened to me? I thought it was a scam and the results far exceeded my expectations.

Ginger doesn't cure parasitic fish diseases, at most it is a "tonic". However, the life cycle of many parasites includes a "resting stage". So, when you move the fish to a new tank, the old resting stage forms are left behind and the fish may "recover" for a bit of time. It typically takes three such moves to new tanks to completely stop ich, but it is pretty common to see this temporary improvement - just watch them for a relapse and continue the treatment you had planned,.

OP
OP
D

Draxlupito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ginger doesn't cure parasitic fish diseases, at most it is a "tonic". However, the life cycle of many parasites includes a "resting stage". So, when you move the fish to a new tank, the old resting stage forms are left behind and the fish may "recover" for a bit of time. It typically takes three such moves to new tanks to completely stop ich, but it is pretty common to see this temporary improvement - just watch them for a relapse and continue the treatment you had planned,.
Thank you very much! For now, I will leave them in the main tank and prepare a quarantine tank first. If any white dots appear I will move them to a new tank immediately. Should I give them a fresh water bath before entering the quarantine tank to prevent flukes?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much! For now, I will leave them in the main tank and prepare a quarantine tank first. If any white dots appear I will move them to a new tank immediately. Should I give them a fresh water bath before entering the quarantine tank to prevent flukes?

FW dips won't cure flukes 100%, but they often will lower their numbers to give you time to deal with them later on. I also use a microscope to look at the water that settles off after a dip for signs of flukes.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back