My Chaeto is dying ! HElp ?

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. hard

I placed some Chaeto in my outside filter . Is a regular Aquaclear Hang on back outside filter. The chaeto that I placed near the intake tube is doing fine. But the large clump in the filter chamber, right before water returns to tank , are all dying. THe two placement locations are only 1 inch apart only. The small amount in intake area does see less water flow, whereas the large clump in chamber has all the water flowing back into tank. there is a small LED light on back of filter. WHY is this ?
Same thing happened in the tank : in one far away corner, my chaeto is dying...going soft and brownish limp. NOT the hard brittle clumps...though some are doing ok. IS it the water flow ? light ?

OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Wait you put that in a closed HOB filter? It def needs to be in an open place with decent flow and proper lighting. Closing it into a filter is not idea I’m surprised you have one strand doing good with what your saying.

OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HOB filter has no top on it. So it gets exposure to air and natural sun light But the right side where the media is at , also has a lot of flow as well as directed LED light. But that is the part that is dying

A huge part of chaeto in the far left corner of tank is also dying. Though parts of it is well.

I have some gracellaria inside the tank also. These I use to clean or polish the water

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Nitrate at? How has Nitrate changed over past month?
I will be honest. I don’t test the aquarium ever since I set it up on May. I dose it every few days

What gets me is not all of it is dying. The left side of the filter the chaeto has always been doing well. Just one inch layer downstream near outflow if HOB filter. The chaeto used to be massive full. But now dead to last bit. See pic

OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the left side near intake chamber has healthy chaeto. Right side exit chamber it’s near dead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 35 gallons with a simple instant ocean protein skimmer. The hob outside filter. And the rest I rely on live rock and the algae to clean the water.

Tank has just one small blue tang. A pair of tomato clowns , And 3 peppermint shrimp.
I have acans. Diff polyps Birds nest. Clove. A type of cyphaestrea. And some other unknown corals. 2 red green bubble tip anemone. So not a lot of fish.

lwien01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. hard

I placed some Chaeto in my outside filter . Is a regular Aquaclear Hang on back outside filter. The chaeto that I placed near the intake tube is doing fine. But the large clump in the filter chamber, right before water returns to tank , are all dying. THe two placement locations are only 1 inch apart only. The small amount in intake area does see less water flow, whereas the large clump in chamber has all the water flowing back into tank. there is a small LED light on back of filter. WHY is this ?
Same thing happened in the tank : in one far away corner, my chaeto is dying...going soft and brownish limp. NOT the hard brittle clumps...though some are doing ok. IS it the water flow ? light ?
Check your nitrates chaeto needs nitrates to grow. add some until nitrates go back up above 5-10 ppm. Good luck

OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HOB filter has no top on it. So it gets exposure to air and natural sun light But the right side where the media is at , also has a lot of flow as well as directed LED light. But that is the part that is dying

A huge part of chaeto in the far left corner of tank is also dying. Though parts of it is well.

I have some gracellaria inside the tank also. These I use to clean or polish the water

I also feed the fish vast array mix of frozen brine shrimp. Ocean krill , blood worms , minced chopped fresh fish , dried flakes , dried seaweed , occasional fresh shrimp pieces.
I feed anywhere from 2 to 5 times a day.

I think the peppermint shrimp has reproduced in the tank , as there are lots of small crazy shrimplets swimming on side where it’s has the macroalgae The fish cannot get to the small shrimp. ( these are not gammarus shrimp)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be honest. I don’t test the aquarium ever since I set it up on May. I dose it every few days

What gets me is not all of it is dying. The left side of the filter the chaeto has always been doing well. Just one inch layer downstream near outflow if HOB filter. The chaeto used to be massive full. But now dead to last bit. See pic
Then put it where it doesn't die. Problem solved.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then put it where it doesn't die. Problem solved.
No reason to turn yourself inside out trying to figure out why it doesn't do well in other areas... if there are places it grows, then put it there, and remove it from the areas where it dies.

OP
OP
O

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to turn yourself inside out trying to figure out why it doesn't do well in other areas... if there are places it grows, then put it there, and remove it from the areas where it dies.
True. But dang that is a big place in the outside filter that is empty. I just wanted to cultivate chaeto. Maybe I try to get some other macro then. ?!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. But dang that is a big place in the outside filter that is empty. I just wanted to cultivate chaeto. Maybe I try to get some other macro then. ?!
Personally, I've had better luck with caulerpa than chaeto.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cultivate more Chaetomorphy for what purpose. Nobody eats Chaeto, unless they are starving.

I would add reef rubble and cultivate pods.

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto kept dying in my sump… fell apart a bit made it in the display and now it thrives there. Nightmare lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back