My Clementines

Rek84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Recently, things in my tank have really started to take off. Now I'm in a situation where I need to create some space.

One thing that has really grown for me are my zoas, especially the My Clementines. I literally have thousands of them.

I am going to brave fragging them off to sale, but they will be in big chunks. I've never sold any of my reef inhabitants before (never was at a point where I needed to, but now I am). Right now, this only going to be local pickup.

If anyone has any advice about what kind of price to ask for the My Clementines, in approximate chunks of 200 to 250 (or more) polyps, I'd really appreciate it. I haven't kept up with how in demand these zoas are and what they are going for now. I know when I bought them, I paid like $40 for 2 polyps, but that's been awhile.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...I'm also curious to know if anyone has worked with these before and has any thoughts about the toxicity level of them (or if they are not a type of zoa that would be considered toxic at all).

OP
OP
Rek84

Rek84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2018-07-31 16.29.17.jpg

Here is a pic of just a small section of them. Sorry for the images, I don't have a way to take very good ones so that's why I'm hesitant to post more pics of my tank. The colors on these things are much more incredibly intense than my poor photography can indicate, deep velvety purple and neon orange centers and rings. They have always been my favorite zoas, had no idea they would do so well for me.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was selling a chunk of 250 my clemintines I would probably sell it for somewhere in between 350-500$, but it depends on your area.

As for fragging, all zoanthids contain varying levels of palytoxin. Be sure to take the necessary precautions (gloves, dont touch face, wash hands after etc)

OP
OP
Rek84

Rek84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kremis, thank you so much for the reply! That gives me a great starting point as far as price is concerned. I'll be sure to invest in some gloves before fragging them. I've accidentally squished a few of them before in the tank (there's so many!) and didn't have any ill effects on any tank inhabitants. I believe any palytoxins in these are low, but better to be safe than sorry.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kremis, thank you so much for the reply! That gives me a great starting point as far as price is concerned. I'll be sure to invest in some gloves before fragging them. I've accidentally squished a few of them before in the tank (there's so many!) and didn't have any ill effects on any tank inhabitants. I believe any palytoxins in these are low, but better to be safe than sorry.
Yeah generally the only ones you want to be extremely careful around are the green/brown/grey palythoas and protopalys.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
As a zoa guy that trims him colonies I'd recommend making a dozen frags of 8-10p and asking $30-$50 per frag and keep doing it until the colony is under control. A lot of people will pop on reasonably priced frags vs. finding one person to drop a few hundred bucks on a large colony... just my suggestion though.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a zoa guy that trims him colonies I'd recommend making a dozen frags of 8-10p and asking $30-$50 per frag and keep doing it until the colony is under control. A lot of people will pop on reasonably priced frags vs. finding one person to drop a few hundred bucks on a large colony... just my suggestion though.
Yeah I would do this too, but not sure if OP wants the colony gone ASAP

OP
OP
Rek84

Rek84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, thanks for the advice! Yes, ideally, that's what I'd love to do. But, my main issue is that I don't have room to keep the frags. So, I'd like to move out some big pieces to free up space. Now, if anyone local is interested in buying some small frags of 8 to 10 polyps, I'd certainly be glad to cut them some! Clearing any out of the tank will be helpful. But, I was kind of hoping that someone that knew the value in these zoas might be interested in some bigger pieces for either a bigger tank or to propagate and sell smaller frags themselves to make a profit. But, certainly, if anyone is interested in any size smaller frags that would be awesome as well! It's hard to find people in my area that have reef tanks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed run across some fellow local reefers here that would be interested. Will have some sps frags before long too.

OP
OP
Rek84

Rek84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bimmer! I started the tank I think around 2015 (might have been 2014??) , but I had a setback due to illness around 2016 right when the tank was doing well. I wasn't able to take care of it and lost almost everything. I had the My Clementines during that time, but they had almost completely died out. "Rebooted" the tank last year when I was able to take care of it properly, and the My Clementines bounced back and everything started growing like crazy.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now... how do you plan on removing them from the glass? Hmm I’m just curious. I love clementines. One my fav too. Already have too many myself or I’d buy em up.

OP
OP
Rek84

Rek84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Michael, they are so awesome looking, I love the color combination. These are truly zoa's that "pop" no matter what kind of lighting. I'm thinking I will carefully remove them from the glass with an algae scraper or a credit card. I am hoping they will kind of "peel" off. If anyone has any better ideas, I'm all ears! :)

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Michael, they are so awesome looking, I love the color combination. These are truly zoa's that "pop" no matter what kind of lighting. I'm thinking I will carefully remove them from the glass with an algae scraper or a credit card. I am hoping they will kind of "peel" off. If anyone has any better ideas, I'm all ears! :)
That’s all I could think of. Just seem a daunting task. Good luck. I’m thinkin if I were to have that many to get rid of I may try to Frag up like earlier post and bring to your Lfs for credit or product. Most would consider that. I do w bunch a Zoa’s. My clementines are sweet. They should have zero issue w unloading quickly and u can get u some product as well. Best way to pay for maintaining Reef in my opinion.

OP
OP
Rek84

Rek84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, Michael! I've posted in the forum here for local reefers for my state (Mississippi), so I'm hoping someone there will express interest. I'm going to have some sps frags before too long as well. There are not very many places in Mississippi to buy corals for reef tanks, I can really only think of one that I know of. Although, if I don't hear from local hobbyists I'll reach out to that store to see if they are interested - the bad thing is they are almost 2 hours away.

Hubtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey REK, i'm actually from hattiesburg too. i'm sure we could work something out. i'm setting up a few prop tanks, if you need a safe place for them to live while you sell :)

OP
OP
Rek84

Rek84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey REK, i'm actually from hattiesburg too. i'm sure we could work something out. i'm setting up a few prop tanks, if you need a safe place for them to live while you sell :)

Hi Hubtech, thank you for the reply and the offer! I just sent you a PM!

Benpastw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
To get them off the glass carefully use a new razor blade and scrape down the glass in the same way you would to clean algae off of it, a credit card is too wide and would end up damaging their feet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back