My experience with Acropora eating flatworm (AEFW)

Diggler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wrote this as I want to share my experience with the dreaded pest that is Acropora Eating Flatworm (AEFW).

I encountered them in my own heavily stocked SPS tank, and on taking some advice from experienced reefers I was able overcome this pest and completely remove it from my system, using only natural means, and in my opinion the least stressful way for the corals. A friend has also just overcome a major infestation of AEFW in his tank using this method so I thought I would share this in the hopes it will help others overcome them too.

Obviously the best method of keeping these pests from entering your tank is to dip and quarantine each and every coral that you add to your tank.

I'm sure there are many other methods which people have been successful with, and in no way am I implying this is the best method, I simply want to share this in the hopes it may help others out.

For anyone that keeps Acropora SPS, the thought of having an infestation of these pests will give you cold sweats, I know it did for me anyway.

Here's a pic of my 5ft tank taken a month before I realized there was an issue:
attachFull1355276

3 weeks after this photo was taken I noticed some patchy areas of bleaching on a plating Acropora. On closer inspection I noticed eggs at the base of the coral on the underside. I've highlighted the eggs below. Notice also the patchy white areas

attachFull1355279

A coral dip produced some adult AEFW.

attachFull1355281

After dipping some Acropora colonies, no more FW were discovered, but after blowing down other colonies in my display using a turkey baster, I dislodged several large AEFW into the water column. I used the turkey baster to suck them back up and put them into a jar for closer inspection:

attachFull1355282

A nice close up photo of a AEFW:
attachFull1355283

So it was pretty safe to say that I had a good dose of AEFW. So the realisation soon hit home that I had to act quickly to prevent these pests destroying my coral collection. I quickly searched the reef keeping forums for peoples experiences and heard all sorts including:
  • Bin every Acro coral you own
  • Having to dip every Acro coral twice weekly
  • Using fish to control the pest

I contacted some experienced reefers and asked for their advice, some of them I had never contacted before. Thankfully all of them got back to me and offered their thoughts/advice. One reefer, who also had experienced them before, offered me his advice, which I thankfully followed and which I will share with you.

So first off, to know how to beat these pests you must understand their life cycle and how/when/where they can be defeated.

AEFW survive by eating the coral’s tissue and normally laying their eggs around the base of the coral skeleton as seen above. The eggs will hatch after 21 days of being laid. Here is a pic taken by myself of an AEFW and its eggs that were laid on the front viewing pane of my tank.

attachFull1355292

There are some natural predators known to eat the AEFW, including some wrasse species. But these fish will only eat the adult FW and not the eggs.

Dipping the coral will also be successful in killing the adults, but any eggs will be protected from the dip and will simply hatch again when back in your tank. Dips can also be stressful to your corals, which may already be in a weakened state due to being eaten by the FW.

Also, having some large Acro colonies which are well based out onto your rocks, removing them is simply not an option.

So the advice I was given was as follows:

1. Add some known AEFW eaters. Halichoeres Wrasse are a good start. I also found my leopard wrasse to a dedicated AEFW killer. Pic below is of my Xmas wrasse (Halichoeres claudia)
attachFull1355293

2. Add some Camel shrimp (Rhynchocinetes Durbanensis) these will eat any FW eggs they come across. I added 2, one of which is pictured
attachFull1355295

3. Add a small group of yellow tail blue damsels (Chrysiptera Parasema), these fish live amongst the corals in the wild and will pick at any FW living on the corals. I added 5 to my tank
attachFull1355294

4. Blow down all your Acro corals using a turkey baster each evening.

So I added more Wrasse, the Damsels and the Camel shrimp. I was amazed at how many AEFW came off my corals when blown down with the turkey baster. I discovered that once the FW became dislodged and were free floating, all my fish became inquisitive and started to eat them. The FW eating was not just limited to my team of wrasse, my tangs also liked to get in on the action and ate them, much to my enjoyment!

I continued to blow down the corals each night, after a few days only a couple of AEFW were visibly being dislodged. This step was repeated each night for around 4 weeks after I saw my last FW, and every couple of weeks after that I would give the corals a good blow down to ensure the life cycle had been broken.

So in conclusion, this is the method that worked for me with minimal stress to the corals.

I hope anyone reading this finds it useful and I hope that no other reefer finds AEFW in their tank but the reality is very different unfortunately, and if you are one of the unfortunate souls then this is a method that may be utilized and I wish you well.

Here is a pic of my tank a few months after the infestation was first discovered. You can see how healthy the corals looked and had grown quite a bit.

attachFull1355296

Some other shots showing the corals after the infestation
attachFull1355297

attachFull1355298

attachFull1355299

attachFull1355301

attachFull1355300

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post @Diggler. I am also battling AEFW, with heavy losses. Spent $200+ on UWC purge with no result besides stressed corals.

I’ll pick up some fish ASAP. It’s a rimless tank so the wrasses might just jump, but I guess thats a risk I’m willing to take.

Eggs and flatworms looks identical to yours.

UVBhMkD.jpg

OP
OP
Diggler

Diggler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post @Diggler. I am also battling AEFW, with heavy losses. Spent $200+ on UWC purge with no result besides stressed corals.

I’ll pick up some fish ASAP. It’s a rimless tank so the wrasses might just jump, but I guess thats a risk I’m willing to take.

Eggs and flatworms looks identical to yours.

Unfortunately it looks like it @TheHarold. I know it may not be possible for you to just run out to your LFS and pick up the fish/shrimp I have listed above but I would definitely recommend blowing down your Acro's with a turkey baster as soon as possible in the hopes any fish you have will start eating them.

Whatever you decide to do I hope your able to beat them!

-Tony

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it looks like it @TheHarold. I know it may not be possible for you to just run out to your LFS and pick up the fish/shrimp I have listed above but I would definitely recommend blowing down your Acro's with a turkey baster as soon as possible in the hopes any fish you have will start eating them.

Whatever you decide to do I hope your able to beat them!

-Tony

I can definitely get the wrasse and damsels. Not sure if my LFS will have the special shrimp.

Thank you, it’s appreciated. This battle has slowly drained my enjoyment of the hobby

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say I was one of the few that lost the battle to AEFW. I have to tear down and run the tank fallow for 6-7 weeks without any sps. I tried your method but it was tedious and could not keep up. Since I am running fallow I also removed all fish and qt them to rid of ICH if I have any. Hitting 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak. Now tank is ich free and AEFW free.

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just recently lost a colony of fox flame, i tho it was due to stress and starting to rtn. turns out i had aefw saw them in my display glass in front of me. immediately bought some Flatworm Stop and Flatworm exit, in the process of getting rid of them all! thanks for the info.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
immediately bought some Flatworm Stop and Flatworm exit, in the process of getting rid of them all! thanks for the info.

I was under the impression those are not going to do anything for AEFW as those products are more for planaria and other species of flatworms.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know where you heard that from but after dosing flatworm exit. I see aefw drop dead in my bare bottom

And the eggs? Dont they just hatch again in a few weeks?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to be 100% rid of these is to go fallow for 5-8 weeks and dip you Acro's in a hospital setup twice a week. Only way currently with 100% success of being rid of them completely.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know where you heard that from but after dosing flatworm exit. I see aefw drop dead in my bare bottom
Mostly from various threads here. From what I understood, you have to a very high dosage in order for it to be effective. And when the dosage is that high, you risk everything in the tank anyways.

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly from various threads here. From what I understood, you have to a very high dosage in order for it to be effective. And when the dosage is that high, you risk everything in the tank anyways.

I have a 50 gallon cube recommended dose is 2ml. I’m dosing 3-4ml everyday and doing wc every week about 5 gallon. I have been dosing for 3 weeks now. My tank seem fine sps pe is out, the colors are back.

OP
OP
Diggler

Diggler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to be 100% rid of these is to go fallow for 5-8 weeks and dip you Acro's in a hospital setup twice a week. Only way currently with 100% success of being rid of them completely.

I have to disagree with this, Like I said in the article, there are many ways to successfully remove these pests. I have shared how I removed them and a reefer friend also had success using this method. I'm not doubting the method you mention can be successful, I'm stating its not the only way. Thanks for contributing
-Tony

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome post @Diggler! It echos some of what Joe Yaiullo says about these corals are able to handle some amount of predation, by things like flatworms, but in aquariums the population gets out of control. He dealt with an infestation in his 20,000 gal reef, and suggests become the main predator of them and the corals can handle some.

He briefly talks about it here starting around 38:35, great video as a whole.

He talks at greater length in another video I can't remember which. I just watched a couple hour long talks at double speed to try to find it but no avail. if anyone else remembers witch and can point it out that would be great. I want to say there is a good video of him in the tank with a hose of freshwater blasting them off corals.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree with this, Like I said in the article, there are many ways to successfully remove these pests. I have shared how I removed them and a reefer friend also had success using this method. I'm not doubting the method you mention can be successful, I'm stating its not the only way. Thanks for contributing
-Tony
You're allowed to disagree, but you're wrong. You may think you've eradicated them, but I highly doubt it.

OP
OP
Diggler

Diggler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're allowed to disagree, but you're wrong. You may think you've eradicated them, but I highly doubt it.

I probably should have mentioned this was 2 years ago. The tank went on to be featured in online forums etc and I never had any other issues with AEFW so I'm pretty sure I eradicated them.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not confuse KZ Flatworm Stop and Salifert Flatworm Exit... too many people do. Flatworm exit will kill AEFW, but the dosage is so high that too much other stuff dies too - this is the same as Levamisole that you can buy as a livestock dewomer. KZ Flatworm Stop, or even a home made brew of Wormwood powder, will eradicate them, but it takes about 6 months to interrupt the life cycle and see them completely gone.

The patient zero tank that I helped with is still AEFW free as well as many others in town. Basting seems to help, but it is hard to baste cantaloupe or basketball sized colonies... and shrimp and crabs cannot get in there. It is easy for predators to pick at stags and frags, but bushy and dense colonies offer the perfect habitat for the nasty creatures. We had to treat a red planet about the size of a turkey platter and about 8" tall with different tiers and there was no way to even get a baster into all of the pockets and levels, let alone a fish or shrimp - there was probably 500-1000 of them in the middle.

Acro crabs also seem to do a really good job of keeping their acro clean of pests, but most people kill them in dips. I have taken extra care to keep them alive if I happen to find them.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great post and enjoyed hearing about the positive experiences with the community getting advice to come to an approach that really worked well. The community can really be helpful - though there will always be someone who tells you are wrong - makes me laugh every time! IMO too often people reach for the magic cure in a bottle and don’t look at natural methods - though everyone does have different circumstances.

One question - Instead of using the turkey Baster had you thought of just cranking up your flow once a day to dislodge them off the coral? Also - years later do you still blast them just to be sure they are still gone? - I think I’d need medication to control my worry about them coming back - lol.

Tank looks magnificent!

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling them right now, am using KZ Flatworm Stop + basting. Most all of my fish (wrasses, tang, belly’s, firefish) will eat them out of the water column when I blast the corals.
The use of Flatworm Stop (which I put on a doser) has made a huge difference to this point. Growth, color and polyp extension returning in force.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 147 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back