My favorite fish is dead

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal grama died out of nowhere yesterday day and the day before he was eating and fine today he was hiding a lot mugging himself between the rocks, he only did this when he was stressed so I checked my parameter for a Fowler tank
Ph-8.6
Ammonia .25
Nitrite-.00
Nitrate-.00
Ammonia was a bit high so I did a water only water change and clean the floss I the filter I can back for the gym and he’s dead, laying on the floor of the tank dead.. I took him out as soon as I could , he seems to have cuts on his dead I opened his Finn’s and there fine no ripple or cuts he’s not discolored except for eh the cuts on his head, pleas help this fish was very thing for me,
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My royal grama died out of nowhere yesterday day and the day before he was eating and fine today he was hiding a lot mugging himself between the rocks, he only did this when he was stressed so I checked my parameter for a Fowler tank
Ph-8.6
Ammonia .25
Nitrite-.00
Nitrate-.00
Ammonia was a bit high so I did a water only water change and clean the floss I the filter I can back for the gym and he’s dead, laying on the floor of the tank dead.. I took him out as soon as I could , he seems to have cuts on his dead I opened his Finn’s and there fine no ripple or cuts he’s not discolored except for eh the cuts on his head, pleas help this fish was very thing for me,
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
As these fish startle easily, could have crashed into rocks attempting to dart into them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So you think trauma killed him?
Very possible unless you saw signs such as heavy breathing, loss of appetite, itching, darting or lethargic behavior

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible unless you saw signs such as heavy breathing, loss of appetite, itching, darting or lethargic behavior
He was heavily breathing, and not eating but lethargic no he was still swimming normally for time to time but breathing heavily

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, loosing fish sucks. I'm a big fan of the Royal Gramma, I would not have a tank without one. Mine is getting very old, its going to be a sad day when he is gone.

Its my understanding that ammonia burns/damages the gills and that damage may take time to repair (or could be permanent ?). So even a water change may not have fixed the problem.

How old is the tank?

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, loosing fish sucks. I'm a big fan of the Royal Gramma, I would not have a tank without one. Mine is getting very old, its going to be a sad day when he is gone.

Its my understanding that ammonia burns/damages the gills and that damage may take time to repair (or could be permanent ?). So even a water change may not have fixed the problem.

How old is the tank?
A year old but I had a rapid tankshock out of nowhere two months ago, my Elements like alk, phos,mag, and nítrate were very low as I had been making weekly trips to Chicago and had not been dosing my tanks.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As these fish startle easily, could have crashed into rocks attempting to dart into them

You know I never thought about this when I was having random smaller fish starting to die in my tank.

I could never find any bite marks, water was sent off to be tested, no disease, etc...

All the larger fish were fine. Small things like Anthias would just be found dead.

Maybe the Crosshatches or Tangs were scaring them when I didn't notice it...

Took my tank down because of that...

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year old but I had a rapid tankshock out of nowhere two months ago, my Elements like alk, phos,mag, and nítrate were very low as I had been making weekly trips to Chicago and had not been dosing my tanks.

I understand how life can distract you from your tank. I work out of town so I am away from you tank 5 days a week, I've been doing this for over 10 years and my tank has suffered from time to time. These days things are going well, automation and remote monitoring are key for me.

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand how life can distract you from your tank. I work out of town so I am away from you tank 5 days a week, I've been doing this for over 10 years and my tank has suffered from time to time. These days things are going well, automation and remote monitoring are key for me.
I’m try to automate feeding to keep phosphate, and nitrates staple and a auto doser, but besides that there not much I can do but continue to does by hand

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ammonia reading was likely a false positive and not the cause of death. Any other fish in the tank? Are they acting normal?

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ammonia reading was likely a false positive and not the cause of death. Any other fish in the tank? Are they acting normal?
A pair of clowns
A moonfish
A watchmen goby
Note the clowns have been aggressive to newly added fish but all of these were added together the same week around 8months ago

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%

Back