My favorite hammer is dying! Help!

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this hammer for almost 2 years now, growing it from 4 heads to now almost 16 heads. About a month ago, I noticed one of my splitting heads starting to bail out and that head is now completely dead. However, the rest of the colony was perfectly fine and my water was in check, as well as the rest of my coral, so me and my LFS concluded it was just a “failed split.”

Unfortunately, it looks like not one, but two of my new splitting heads are also starting to bail out, and I can see skeleton on both heads. Have already done a 10 minute dip and scrub and coral revive, and I am not sure what to do. I see no parasites, and I think it may be some sort of disease or infection. I have other hammer colonies that are perfectly normal and healthy, alongside a dozen other soft and LPS coral.

What do I do? This is one of my first coral and means a lot to me.

IMG_0052.jpeg IMG_0053.jpeg IMG_0481.png

OP
OP
maxemorris

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 1.026, pH 7.8 (cannot get it up for the life of me), ammonia nitrite and nitrate 0. I don’t think it is a water quality issue because I have other sizable euphylia colonies that have no problems (attached pictures). If it is an infection, what can I do?

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 27

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your hands on some Cipro and dose the tank. There is a thread here about using it to combat BJD, but it's also a good general treatment. I've used it a few times in my tanks with ZERO ill effects, only positive ones.

I wouldn't stress it with more dips, etc unless you see pests.

OP
OP
maxemorris

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your hands on some Cipro and dose the tank. There is a thread here about using it to combat BJD, but it's also a good general treatment. I've used it a few times in my tanks with ZERO ill effects, only positive ones.

I wouldn't stress it with more dips, etc unless you see pests.
What is BJD?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People use cipro for BJD treatment. Yes, BJD is bad. I lost a few grand worth of torches and hammers to it.

BUT

It is also an antibiotic used for other things. I'm not saying you have BJD, I'm saying that a round of cipro can/will help other issues as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back