My First Red Sea Reefer 525XL Progression (High-Tech)

wenliu51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First: Thank you R2R community for bringing an active space for reefers to troubleshoot, collaborate and share a passion for the hobby!

See below for a pretty high-tech tank build!
220201112221544.jpg

This is my first experience with aquarium husbandry and I am feeling the ups and downs of learning – which is part of everyone’s journey. I’m doing my best to ensure the animals I keep are thriving and (hopefully) happy in my tank! Before I decided to bite the bullet and purchase, I watched over 100 hours of videos on BRS to feel confident that this is what I am getting into. My purchase was pricey but I work hard and earned it. And, I didn't actually build it myself but my LFS (LAX Aquarium) did the entire installation and even built custom electrical mounting board + retrofitted mounts for filter rollers. I will eventually figure out how to program the Neptune to my Echo Plus, so I can say: "Alexa, turn on Feed Cycle A" :D

Tank equipment build:
-Red Sea Reefer 525 XL
-EcoTech Radion XR30 Pros
-Neptune:
Controller System​
COR-20 Return Pump​
Trident​
DOS​
Energy Bar​
Auto Top off Kit & Optical Level Sensor​
Fluid Monitoring Module​
Optical Flow Sensor​
Leak Detection Probe​
WAV x2​
-Bubble Magus Curve 7, protein skimmer
-Bubble Magus BP10, carbon reactor
-Aquatop Titanium Heater with Controller
-Klir Drop In Fleece Filter Roller x2

20200903_205417.jpg

20200903_194238.jpg

20200905_133201.jpg

20201125_085931.jpg

Current Tankmates:
-Clown (Bartholemew)
-Bannerfish (Jaque)
-Oriental Sweetlips (Fifi)
-Firefish (Ophelia)
-Foxface (Rasputin)
-Starry Blenny (Guillermo)
-Melanurus Wrasse (Quinn)
-Blue Chromis x2
-Tuxedo Sea Urchins x2
-Blood Red Fire Shrimp
-Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
-Emerald Crab x2
-Maxima Clam

Coral:
-Elegance x2
-Lobo x3
-Acans x7
-Torches x5
-Hammer x3
-Scolly x8
-Wellso x3
-Discosoma x3
-Zoanthid x4
-Frogspawn
-Doughnut Coral
-Heliofungia Sunkist
-Heliogugia long tentacle
-Scrolling Montipora
-Chalice
-Organ Pipe
-Moon coral
-Finger Leather Coral
-Bubble

Everything is still small, I am still slowly adding and growing my tank. Will eventually add a PBT last and all my fish run through a QT course.

Thank you for checking out my build thread!

QT with cats:
20201128_083453.jpg

Feline observation deck:
20201125_093137.jpg

About me:
I live in Los Angeles & work as a patent litigation paralegal. I enjoy international travel, the great outdoors and trekking. I love plants and am transferring that passion into corals. I also enjoy the flow arts: fire dancing, hula hooping, whips, dragon staff & fire eating. I also love classic cars and will take my Corvette up Malibu canyons on the weekends for the twisties.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wenliu51

wenliu51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Klir filter roller?
I love it and just changed out one of the rolls, it takes a little getting used to but there is detailed instruction on YouTube. Each roll is about $14 and honestly WORTH IT. Rolls up all the gunk and automatically rolls as it gets full. My tank is still new-ish so the bioload was low. But the average person would change it every 1.5-2 months I'm guessing. I'm spoiled for not ever understanding what filter sock cleaning is like..

Boonsiew830

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it and just changed out one of the rolls, it takes a little getting used to but there is detailed instruction on YouTube. Each roll is about $14 and honestly WORTH IT. Rolls up all the gunk and automatically rolls as it gets full. My tank is still new-ish so the bioload was low. But the average person would change it every 1.5-2 months I'm guessing. I'm spoiled for not ever understanding what filter sock cleaning is like..
Did you have to modify anything in the sump to get your Klir to fit? I have a Red Sea 625 and thinking of purchasing these as well.

OP
OP
wenliu51

wenliu51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have to modify anything in the sump to get your Klir to fit? I have a Red Sea 625 and thinking of purchasing these as well.
The sump was modified to fit the Klir filter socks. My LFS made the adjustments before he delivered my aquarium. I believe he essentially broke into the cap cover of the filter sock compartment. And the Klir drops into the circular holes. He also added two rectangular plastic pieces on the sides so the water can flow down the bottom. There should be a YouTube video out there covering this...

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump was modified to fit the Klir filter socks. My LFS made the adjustments before he delivered my aquarium. I believe he essentially broke into the cap cover of the filter sock compartment. And the Klir drops into the circular holes. He also added two rectangular plastic pieces on the sides so the water can flow down the bottom. There should be a YouTube video out there covering this...
Do you have a link to the video? I would love to do this.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the Klir filter mod?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back