My first Triton results

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Goodgreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are my first ever Triton test results. I run a 75 gallon, SPS dominant with some LPS reef tank. I use Reef Crystals for salt mix. My tank is in a period of recovery following high Alk due to the Hanna Checker reagent debacle and recall, as well as a drop in temperature when someone doing work on the house blew a breaker and didn't realize it for a few hours. I lost about 6 SPS/LPS corals. Anyone have thoughts on these results? I dose BRS 2 part plus Mag mix. I add Aquavitro Fuel at about half the recommended dose once a week. I use BRS Rox carbon in a reactor, run a skimmer and an algae scrubber. Other than Reef Crystals and food that is the extent of things that get put in the water. Here are my thoughts.

-Lithium: Is high because it is RC salt and is traditionally around that level. I might reduce it by dry mixing the salt better when I dump the bags together into a bucket.
-Aluminum: I don't know why this is elevated, I don't even know if that's a detrimental or high amount. I assume not since I didn't get warned about it.
-Calcium: Is about where I want it. I prefer it around 430ish area.
-Potassium: I don't dose for it or test it but looks like I should.
-Strontium: I guess I should start adding some?
-Iodine: Can any test really tell me how much useful Iodine is in the water? I could dose some but I thought testing results for it were ambiguous at best.
-Phosphates/PO4: Do I need more Phosphates hanging around than this?

Coral growth has been kind of slow, though my tank is recovering. My almost dead Monti cap is about 3/4 covered back over its old skeleton. My LPS, particularly my pavona coral have seemed to actually accelerate growth during all this. My favia coral has receded to 1/4 of its previous size but is holding there. Anyway, I think with some minor tweaking I've got the right levels. Anyone have other advice or think any drastic change is needed?

sZISepX.jpg

LDj9cfB.jpg

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I don't see any severe issues with the results.
With the Triton testing you should take averages over several months to come up with your tank baselines.
Po4 is lacking but good for a ULNS

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Good results overall but a few things I would certainly adjust. I would add Iodine and Strontium for sure. Potassium could use a bump too. The favia and other LPS, even the sps are probably suffering from the very low phosphates. At Unique, whenever our levels drop to less than .03 for a week or more the corals really lose color, appear to stop growing and the lps really take a hit. Since you have an effective scrubber you would be a great candidate to try the base elementz. This would do a great job to level out the major ions while adding the key traces daily. You should see a noticeable improvement within a month or so. I know it sounds like a sales pitch but it really does make life easier and works extremely well.

OP
OP
Goodgreef

Goodgreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Good results overall but a few things I would certainly adjust. I would add Iodine and Strontium for sure. Potassium could use a bump too. The favia and other LPS, even the sps are probably suffering from the very low phosphates. At Unique, whenever our levels drop to less than .03 for a week or more the corals really lose color, appear to stop growing and the lps really take a hit. Since you have an effective scrubber you would be a great candidate to try the base elementz. This would do a great job to level out the major ions while adding the key traces daily. You should see a noticeable improvement within a month or so. I know it sounds like a sales pitch but it really does make life easier and works extremely well.

Thanks for the thoughts. I've considered trying elementz but I don't really want to go through a period of flux switching salt mixes to something more seawater natural than Reef Crystals.

Matze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your results look quite good.
If you want to get rid of some Lithium, you can do four weeks in a row a 15% water change with Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt.

As for Strontium and so on.
You can add some. But just dose a single element a time. For example dose the recommedet amount for a month and see if there are any visible changes if yes, continue,
if not just stop.

So you can exactly see what element does what with your corals and you don't have to break the bank for supplements :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back