My first Zoa, need an ID, thanks!

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the horrible photo, couldn't focus with all the fish swimming around the camera, thinking they were gonna get fed.

Any idea what kind of Zoa this is? Some polyps have an orange center and an almost colorless skirt, some have a green center and a green skirt, and yet still others have both green and orange in the center with a green skirt. I'm unsure if these are different colonies that have intertwined before being fragged, or are they part of the same colony and if so, are the reasons for the different appearance among polyps due to anything other than age of the polyp?

Thanks in advance for the help! This is my first Zoa frag and it's my favorite coral so far; I guess that means I'm a fan of Zoas!
image.jpg

OP
OP
Oceansize

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And therefore the orange ones are not? So Radioactive Dragoneyes' polyps don't have an "orange stage" of their development?

Regardless, thanks for the help!

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And therefore the orange ones are not? So Radioactive Dragoneyes' polyps don't have an "orange stage" of their development?

Regardless, thanks for the help!
What? Zoas don't drastically change colour as they grow, radioactive dragon eyes are almost always sold growing with another zoanthid. I don't know what the orange one is.

OP
OP
Oceansize

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have assumed they were different varieties if it weren't for the rare polyp that has both orange and green in the center. That is what caused me to deduce that this is one colony, with polyps in various stages of maturity. But I'm brand new at this so I defer to your experience, good sir. :)

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have assumed they were different varieties if it weren't for the rare polyp that has both orange and green in the center. That is what caused me to deduce that this is one colony, with polyps in various stages of maturity. But I'm brand new at this so I defer to your experience, good sir. :)
That just happens when two very genetically similar zoas with different colours grow together, they'll sometimes mix, and sometimes you can cut two zoas in half and graft them :)

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 99 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back