My last 2 tests. Wondering if I should be concerned.

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do full tests every 2 weeks. I use Hannah for everything except nitrate, ammonia and mag. I use Red Sea for mag.

It’s a 40G Aqua top. Lots of LPS and soft coral.

2 weeks ago
Alk - 7.4 dkh
Phosphate - .05
Calcium - 385
Mag - 1400
Nitrate 10
Ammonia 0
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 75.7

Tonight’s test
Alk - 7.5dkh
Phosphate - .16 ( this has tripled from .05. Should this worry me? If so how do I handle?)
Calcium - 399 ( I know this is high but is stable)
Nitrate - 20( constant struggle here but it goes from 10-20 i test this often.)
Ammonia - 0
Salinity - 1.023
Temp - 77.5 ( I increased this slowly 2 degrees intentionally

Thank you for the help!

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly don't think .16 po4 is high given your no3. 399 calcium does not seem high either. I usually run 425
Ok. Thank you. I see such a wide range of “ideal parameters for a mixed reef tank” easy to get lost in the numbers. Which is where I always find myself lol.

The only thing I dose right now is AA for the corals. Hoping to keep it that way as long as I can.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank will tell you more than your numbers will. If you all of a sudden have an algae bloom or your corals seem to be in distress than I would be concerned over those numbers. But if the tank is doing fine, your numbers are fine. There was a great article I read a couple months ago comparing numbers between several people with fantastic reefs that came to the conclusion that numbers are subjective to a particular reef. I think if my nitrates climbed to 20 ppm (mine are consistently 2 ppm), than I would have some major problems. But that doesn't mean yours will. And my calcium is 440 ppm.

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank will tell you more than your numbers will. If you all of a sudden have an algae bloom or your corals seem to be in distress than I would be concerned over those numbers. But if the tank is doing fine, your numbers are fine. There was a great article I read a couple months ago comparing numbers between several people with fantastic reefs that came to the conclusion that numbers are subjective to a particular reef. I think if my nitrates climbed to 20 ppm (mine are consistently 2 ppm), than I would have some major problems. But that doesn't mean yours will. And my calcium is 440 ppm.
That makes perfect sense to me. The struggle I think in being so new, is I don’t quite know what stressed corals might look like. My space invader looks skinny and bad so I’m convinced it’s dying. Then the next day it’s super plum, some are closed often so I don’t know if that means they are doing bad. All learning I suppose.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PO4 has been as low as .09 and as high as .27. My NO3 fluctuates between 5-10ppm. Observe your tank and compare what you see to the numbers and you’ll know if it’s no good. My Ca is usually around 435-450.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do full tests every 2 weeks. I use Hannah for everything except nitrate, ammonia and mag. I use Red Sea for mag.

It’s a 40G Aqua top. Lots of LPS and soft coral.

2 weeks ago
Alk - 7.4 dkh
Phosphate - .05
Calcium - 385
Mag - 1400
Nitrate 10
Ammonia 0
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 75.7

Tonight’s test
Alk - 7.5dkh
Phosphate - .16 ( this has tripled from .05. Should this worry me? If so how do I handle?)
Calcium - 399 ( I know this is high but is stable)
Nitrate - 20( constant struggle here but it goes from 10-20 i test this often.)
Ammonia - 0
Salinity - 1.023
Temp - 77.5 ( I increased this slowly 2 degrees intentionally

Thank you for the help!

There is a possibility that your system is starting to accumulate nitrate and phosphate. You might try measuring nitrate and phosphate more often to determine whether this is the case.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run SPS so my phosphates and nitrates are lower. For softies and LPS, I think you are fine As long as you don’t have algae issues. But algae can be held at bay with grazing critters in your clean up crew. If your corals are good and your algae under control, I would say there is no need to be concerned.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawater is 1.026. If you bring it up this will help ... 420 to 450 is good range for calcium. Remember the skimmer will take out saltwater. So adding a little saltwater required to hold 1.026 will be needed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back