My new Aquariumplants Co2 Regulator/Solinoid

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using a Carbon Doser for about 6 months - It's extremely accurate (paired with a Cole-Parmer peristaltic pump - It's an unbeatable combination.)

I have been having a problem air air leaking into the system. I've been able to confirm it's not coming from the GEO 612 or the water intake, and the CO2 line has been replaced - which leaves the regulator itself. Aquarium plants is trying to help me get it resolved.
I would say your correct that it's most likely the guages themselves allowing air into the system, But rest assured they will fix it under warranty. I have had mine for quite some time now and it's the best out there.
Bill

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your correct that it's most likely the guages themselves allowing air into the system, But rest assured they will fix it under warranty. I have had mine for quite some time now and it's the best out there.
Bill
You're right Bill - AquariumPlants is advance shipping me a replacement unit. I highly recommend both the Carbon Doser and AquariumPlants.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you mean Co2 But yes that is correct the arrows should be pointing towards your reactor's intake for the Co2.
Bill

Kewl

Don't know why I put carbon. Who changed the thread title? Not complaining just wondering.

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kewl

Don't know why I put carbon. Who changed the thread title? Not complaining just wondering.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kewl

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill what's your psi on the low side?

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case this is of value - I've found it requires at least 1.5PSI to defeat the check valve (Aquarium Plants medical grade check-valve.) I can run mine a couple of ways with the same results - 2 SPB (seconds per bubble) @ 2PSI, or 8 SPB at 8PSI (or seemingly anywhere in between with similar ratios.) Using a GEO 612, this maintains a reactor pH of exactly 4.90. With a 25mL/Min effluent rate, my tank is steady at 10.5dKH and 440 Ca (I also use Kalk saturated ATO and a CO2 scrubber to support tank pH.)

I also found that dripping the effluent through a column of CaRx media prior to the sump increased the pH ~.15

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow nice detailed post thanks.

At 1st I was thinking the unit needs breaking in because of bubbles bleeding out when I had it on 10psi (that is what it needed to be on my old regulator)
But after reading your post i realized you don't have to have a high psi like 10-15 to get a constant bubble rate like on the conventional regulators.
Am I incorrect?

Edit: the other thing you mentioned was keeping your reactor at a constant ph. I actually have mine fluctuating from 6.6 to 6.5. Should I adjust to have it stay at one ph level?

Last edited:

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run mine almost the same as the other guy noted,(CalmSeaQuest) I run 9psi and the bubble rate is at 6 bpm my PH values are set at 6.8-6.9 on my controller and get almost identical results but my KH is a tad lower @ 9.5 Ca 440-450 I used to also drip Kalk but have stopped due to PH issues that were caused by it.
If you can get 3x your desired KH goal from the effulant drip you will be able to maintain your goal IE desired KH 9 you need the drip to be @ 27 KH or there abouts, This is average needed to get a stable KH of 9.0 KH
Bill

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow nice detailed post thanks.

At 1st I was thinking the unit needs breaking in because of bubbles bleeding out when I had it on 10psi (that is what it needed to be on my old regulator)
But after reading your post i realized you don't have to have a high psi like 10-15 to get a constant bubble rate like on the conventional regulators.
Am I incorrect?

Edit: the other thing you mentioned was keeping your reactor at a constant ph. I actually have mine fluctuating from 6.6 to 6.5. Should I adjust to have it stay at one ph level?

The beauty of the Carbon Doser is it is precise at any flow rate. You have absolute control over the bubble rate and bubble size (by adjusting the low side PSI.) Once you get your reactor "dialed in" with the Carbon Doser, you'll find you can obtain a very steady CaRx pH without constant cycling of the regulator (assuming your effluent output is constant.) My regulator only cycles when compensating for the diurnal pH swings of the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back