My own 35 gal tall SH tank

77.christy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
05c9e6f13072f10c0a2cfd8d31266a8b.jpg
Hi. I'd like to open my own discussion about seahorses so as not to bogart anyone else's feeds. I set up a 35 gal octagon tall about a year ago. I piped in the return up the center, drilled holes in it, and rocked around it so they could swim the whole perimeter. I added 3 SH in June. Only one of those is left. I've since added another and two pipefish. All seem to be very good. I also have 3 cardinals, a file fish, a dottyback (wish that lil turd wasn't in there, but he's impossible to catch), a sea hair, peppermint shrimp, and some turbo snails.
f81f16506e09851638300b9d727ad431.jpg
I've only been able to feed live brine up until a few days ago. They're beginning to "accidentally" eat frozen bc I mix the two together while the frozen is defrosting. I just learned today about SH eating ghost shrimp. I tried it and it worked!! Super excited they have something more nutritional than tiny brine. I'm going to look into growing my own shrimp bc they're $.25-.35 EACH at all my LFS! [emoji33] anyone have any experience w/ that?
392e51a68397d1f726374d1081bfffa9.jpg
Photo bombed by mean ole chromis. [emoji23]

OP
OP

77.christy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do SH change color? The last addition was yellow when I got him 3 weeks ago. Now he's grey/smokey looking Jst like the female I've had for a cpl months

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi 77 .christy, I am glad that your seahorses enjoyed the ghost shrimp. You can gut load the ghosties with Dan's Feed and then they will be even more nutritious. I order Dan's Feed from Dan at Seahorse Source. He is a seahorse breeder and is the nicest guy to deal with.
Since your seahorses are eating some frozen brine shrimp I would try mixing a little frozen Hikari mysis in with it too. Maybe you could get them to take some of that and it is a better diet from a nutritional perspective.
I have tried culturing shrimp but it is tricky because the adults will cannibalize their babies. You need to make a screen so the larvae shrimp can fall thru the screen but the adults can not. I never really tried that hard so maybe if I had built a tank with a screen I would have had more success.
All seahorses will change colors. You can sometimes encourage brighter coloration with brightly colored hitches but its not a guarentee, ha ha! A lot of it has to due with their pigmentation.

OP
OP

77.christy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u. I've found some info online about breeding shrimp. Most suggest 2 tanks w/ different types of filters.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really beautiful tank and love your SH's oh and I've seen your your pipefish hanging around, awesome:)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back