My seahorse/fuge

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been a member for a couple weeks and haven't shared my pony tank yet. It also serves as my fish room refugium.

Here's the pair

Here's the fuge. It's a 30 gal long.
It has one baffle on the left with a weir cut in it. Flow travels left to right and the overflow is mounted as high as I could on the right.

OP
OP
reef_junkie

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That display fuge was an integral part of this build.

aviationreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see some i have a 60 gallon cube right now, with a 9 gallon sump, enough to hold equipment but not enough as i need for a real fuge. So i looked into a custom sump and it was around 400 dollars, i figured if i was going to spend 400 dollars i might as well get more then just some extra water volume out of it. So i started looking into a display Refugium and my gf fell in love with sea horses. So that is now the route i am researching.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool!! Could you share some details about the full setup? :)

OP
OP
reef_junkie

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, late last year I decided to do a satalite sump down in my basement to service my display (at the time was 300 gal)
And my frag tank.
So I did, I built my basement sump with a 100 gal stock tank, filled it with reactors and powered it with a Reeflow super gold dart pump.
All was well until I looked at my naked frag tank and thought I can still fit a display fuge here somewhere.
After some brainstorming I decided that I wanted a display fuge hanging over my frag tank.
I picked up a few metal bed frames ( you know the type, folding metal that always seems to pinch a finger)
So after cleaning all the rivets off of every piece I started welding. The height was actually thought over more than you'd think.
Being a refugium and knowing I wanted to house ponies I calculated that even with full pressure from the Reeflow pump the refugium would only get 200 gph.
Since the install ( roughly 8 months ago)
I broke down the 300 but kept everything else running. With such a large sump running so little display gallons I can hook in a new tank and stock as soon as it's full.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef_junkie and welcome to R2R. My seahorse tank is also a fuge for my reef tank. My whole system is pretty small compared to what you built though. Basically I just took 1 of my 2 returns from my 36g bowfront reef and hung it on a 30g XH tank, added a HOB overflow box and ran the drain back into the reef sump.
I run both my reef and Seahorse fuge at temperatures suited for seahorses. All my corals have done fine being as low as 71 degrees.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 115 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back