My Second ICP Test -- Any Thoughts?

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my second ICP test results back. I'm religious about my water changes, 5 gallons per week in a 26 gallon nano. I'm using Red Sea blue bucket salt mixed by ReefCo. in Green Brook, NJ. I'm running a mixed reef so I'm assuming that I'll have to dose something at some point. I'm hoping when the time comes I can get by with something simple like All for Reef. My phosphates are high, between .24 and .32 in the last week on the Hannah ULR checker but I don't have any major nuisance algae issues. I have some bubble algae but I got an emerald crab who is going to town on it. I have some algae on my rocks and glass but my starry blenny is starting to take care of the rocks. The algae on the glass is getting stubborn but some elbow grease and my Flipper nano is doing the job pretty well.

I have one issue with some space invader pectinia that I can't figure out. It's laying down new stony skeleton but it isn't covering the new growth with tissue. I have some cyphastrea that was under-lit with my old lighting but it's bouncing back.

I started dosing Seachem Reef Iodide after my last ICP results. It certainly raised the number but I haven't noticed any change in my corals or inverts to be honest.

I dose live phyto daily. I was doing 5ml of @AlgaeBarn Oceanmagik in the morning and afternoon. Now I'm doing 5ml Oceanmagik in the morning and the recommended dose (60ml) of @TopShelfAquatics Reef Genetics royal flush combo in the afternoon. I've been feeding more TDO pellets instead of shrimp twice a day and I've seen the phosphates trend towards the .20s since that change. I run carbon and Rowaphos in a filter bag on my sump side but there isn't a lot of water flow where the bag sits.

I'm considering using Chemipure Blue nano in a media basket with floss instead of a filter sock but I don't know if it's worth the risk of messing something up. Any thoughts on that change?

Here are the results--any thoughts/advice?
ICP 2 1.JPG

ICP 2 2.JPG

Some shots of the tank from the past 2 weeks (top is this morning):
Starry Blenny.jpg

Day 131 1.jpg

Day 131 2.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lack of apparent change supplementing iodine is consistent with mine. I know many people believe it helps their aquaria, but I remain a skeptic. Right now, yours is well above natural levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell from “that” ICP. :)
IMO, my answer applies to any and all icp, regardless of accuracy or detection limits, but I agree it is harder when the detection limits are higher.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, my answer applies to any and all icp, regardless of accuracy or detection limits, but I agree it is harder when the detection limits are higher.
It’s definitely harder when the detection limits are higher. With OES you’re basically in the dark with elements under 1 ug/L and those that fall at the boarder like Zn, Ni, V….even when they show up (which is frequently for those 3) you can’t trust them to dose. In this case Ni and Zn are there, but it’s not accurate enough. Almost all of those u. are not accurate. Take Se for example. That element needs to be at almost 10 ug/L on OES to even become detectable.

IMG_0994.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely harder when the detection limits are higher. With OES you’re basically in the dark with elements under 1 ug/L and those that fall at the boarder like Zn, Ni, V….even when they show up (which is frequently for those 3) you can’t trust them to dose. In this case Ni and Zn are there, but it’s not accurate enough. Almost all of those u. are not accurate. Take Se for example. That element needs to be at almost 10 ug/L on OES to even become detectable.

IMG_0994.jpeg

Ok, but you are also in the dark using icp-MS since you have no info on the chemical forms you are testing.

OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell from icp, but you might experiment with a trace element supplement such as tropic Marin A and K.
Thank you for this advice :slightly-smiling-face:. The day after I dosed a quarter dose of A and K my JF vino montipora, which I thought was dead, started to color up. That frag turned brown the day after I added it, was knocked in the sand multiple times, and looked like a goner.

Question: do you think I should continue the quarter dose of A and K (continuing my 20% weekly water changes) and try another ICP test in 4-6 weeks? Or should I work my way up to the full dose of A and K and ICP test in 4 weeks?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this advice :slightly-smiling-face:. The day after I dosed a quarter dose of A and K my JF vino montipora, which I thought was dead, started to color up. That frag turned brown the day after I added it, was knocked in the sand multiple times, and looked like a goner.

Question: do you think I should continue the quarter dose of A and K (continuing my 20% weekly water changes) and try another ICP test in 4-6 weeks? Or should I work my way up to the full dose of A and K and ICP test in 4 weeks?

I'd start with and regularly use the TM recommended dose. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back