My tank tried to kill me, now what?!?!

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up. And I take everything for granted in my tank and one day I want be so lucky. I have touched everything in my tank and don't get stung from my rbta, Maxi - Mini Carpet Anemone, zoas and elegance. All without gloves. I will be attending a meeting here in Houston they will be going over the dangers in our tanks and what to do if something should happen. Hope the meeting will be as good as this write up.
Still be careful, you can develop allergies through repeated exposure. :(

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got hit by my rabbitfish. Now I have a very and I mean a very high pain tolerance. I normally dislocate my shoulder in a GTC seizure and just do the Sgt Riggs technique of slamming my shoulder into a wall to pop it into joint. For that I take a tylonel I was begging for narcotic pain killers after the fish sting.

Yes I know you pain or at least understand it as I stated earlier, I was venomized by a lion fish. :(:( I Will NOT make that mistake Again.

bullet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, not me personally, but I promised the 'reef chicks' in my local club that I'd write up a 'what to do in case of emergency' when their tank tries to kill them/a family member/a pet. I am thinking of making this into different pages, so if this DOES happen, you can just grab a page and go. Keep it next to the tank in a printed out form, and when you're home from your fancy hospital stay you can print out another one! Or get it laminated. Of course, for the people that are more knowledgeable out there, add info as you see fit!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lets face it. Doctors on the mainland don't normally have to know what a zoanthid is, nor do they normally have to know how to treat for it when it went ahead and defended itself, poisoning you in the process. This little guide should help you and the doctor know what exactly they are dealing with! Yes, you keep a glass box in your house that may or may not have dangers within. Some people do not even realize that their tanks are dangerous. And not just because of the big things, sometimes its the smallest things that can do the most damage.

Before I start, here's a disclaimer:
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. This list is NOT all-inclusive. If you think something is 'odd' with you after you've been messing with your tank, go to the doctor. Tell them you have a saltwater marine aquarium, your hands were in it, and you don't know what's wrong. If you need to write your symptoms down before you go, do it. If you don't want an ambulance at your door have someone drive you ASAP! Your health is important.

Lion fish
The 'normal' fish that sting!

A lion fish sting causes intense pain and swelling at the site of the sting. Some people have described it as a strong bee-sting in the case of lion fish. But when you get higher-up into the stonefish and rock fish, it CAN AND WILL BE DEADLY! If you start having an allergic reaction call the hospital IMMEDIATELY!

At Home Treatment- Immediately put your hand under hot water. Do not scald or burn your hand/arm/whatever got stung-the burn may end up being worse than the actual sting. This will hopefully break down the venom that is now coursing through your body. Yes, it may take a half hour or more to break down the venom.
Its highly recommended to go to the Dr shortly after you are stung, as there may be a piece of its spine stuck in you without you even knowing it. Yes, you just got boned by a fish, and they may still be boning you.

Scorpion and Rock Fish
The 'why in the world do you keep these fish' fish!

For what its worth, try not to get hit by one of these. Call the Dr, go to the ER. While waiting for the ambulance to show up, keep your hurt appendage under hot water. Still, do not burn yourself.

For more information on the above fish and what to do, I recommend reading a LOT before you get them. Here's an article that deals with what happens when you get hit by a lionfish http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/jf/feature/index.php

Rabbit Fish
Wait, these are poisonous?!?!

Yup, rabbit fish have spines and poison too! Once again, treatment is hot water, calling the ER as necessary for farther treatment

Bristleworms
Normal, every-day scavengers, right?

But they do have a defense system. Those cute little bristle worms have... bristles. All over their bodies. If you get 'stung' by these, chances are you'll have a ton of bristles left in your finger or arm where they got you. My suggestion is to use tape to get the bristles out. Stronger is better, of course.

Fireworms fall into this category, but they are slightly different. They'll hurt a heck of a lot worse. Hot water, ER trip if necessary. Still gotta get those bristles out too, if they're in there!

Cone Snails
Yeah, I just said 'Snails' are trying to kill you

I'm just copying this article straight-up. Go to the ER ASAP! CALL poison control! GET HELP!
from http://www.emedicinehealth.com/wilderness_cone_snail_sting/article_em.htm

Cone Snail Sting Symptoms

• Most stings occur on the hands and fingers due to handling.
  • Mild stings are similar to a wasp or bee sting with localized burning and sharp stinging symptoms. They can be intense and also have numbness and tingling to the wounded area.
  • Some sting symptoms can progress to include cyanosis (blueness at the site due to decreased blood flow), and even numbness or tingling involving an entire limb.
  • Severe cases show total limb numbness that progresses to the area around the mouth (perioral) and then the entire body. Paralysis (inability to move a part or entire body) can occur leading to paralysis of the diaphragm which stops the ability to breath.
  • Coma and death can in severe cases where the diaphragm is paralyzed.
  • Other symptoms that can occur include: fainting (syncope), itching, loss of coordination, heart failure, difficulty speaking. difficulty breathing, and double vision.
  • Symptoms can begin within minutes or take days to appear after the venom is injected.
  • There is no antivenom available for cone snail stings.
  • Use the pressure immobilization technique:
    • Use an elastic bandage (similar to ACE bandage) to wrap the limb starting at the distal end (fingers or toes) and wrap toward the body. It should be tight but the fingers and toes should remain pink so that the circulation is not cut off.
    • The extremity should also be immobilized with a splint or stick of some sort to prevent it from bending at the joints.
    • The elastic bandage should be removed for 90 seconds every 10 minutes and then reapplied for the first 4 to 6 hours. (Hopefully medical care can be received within this time period.)
  • Other treatment options that may help include:
    • Immerse the affected area in water as hot as is tolerable (water temperature not to exceed 140 F or 60 C).
    • Inject a local anesthetic into the wound area.
    • Some reports suggest that
    • Edrophonium (Enlon, Tensilon) 10 mg IV may be used as therapy for paralysis. A 2-mg test-dose should first be administered IV, and if effective, followed by an additional 8-mg dose IV. Atropine (Atreza, Sal-Tropine) 0.6 mg should be immediately available for intravenous administration in case of an adverse reaction to edrophonium.
    • A 2 to 4 mg dose naloxone (Narcan) given IV may help treat severe hypotension (low blood pressure).
    • Local excision (cutting out the area stung) by a health care professional (controversial and not widely recommended)
    • Incision and suction (controversial and not widely recommended)
  • Avoid excessive movement and keep the patient calm and warm.
  • CPR may be necessary. Artificial respiration may save the person's life.
  • Do not cut into the wound, apply suction, or use a tourniquet.
Mycobacterium marinum
The smallest things can try to kill you too!

I think the best thing to do is research this one. EVERYONE who owns a tank, freshwater or saltwater, should know about this. There is a bacteria in your tank. It can seriously hurt you.
Here is a good link to description and treatment of it. This DOES include a trip to the doctor, but most likely you have a day... if you're lucky.
http://www.medicinenet.com/mycobacterium_marinum/article.htm

Zoanthids and Palys

Oh so pretty. Oh so Deadly.

In the history of humans, we have actually used these on arrowheads, to kill things quicker. You know all that slime? Death. Okay, maybe not complete and utter death, but its going to hurt BAD if you get it in a mucous membrane or a cut. I suggest always using gloves when fragging these, and never EVER 'boil them off a rock'. Even when they are dead, they still have the proteins within their bodies. This will vaporize, becoming airborne. THIS CAN KILL YOU!!!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!!

The information you need to know is that they have palytoxin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palytoxin Yes, I just sent you to wikipedia.
When you go to the ER, you need to know the word 'palytoxin'. Say it with me. Palytoxin.

If you start to feel ill, have a rapid heart rate, difficulty breathing, or pain in your chest, then you need to get to a hospital ASAP. Have a little sheet printed out laying next to you when you pass out, so that the Dr. will know what to do tests for. Yes, I'm serious.

Cyanobacteria
Yeah, I am bringing up everything, including cyano

They have anatoxin and homoanatoxin. The following info is from the applied science and analysis newsletter: http://www.asanltr.com/newsletter/02-2/articles/Neurotoxins.htm
Anatoxins are toxins produced by cyanobacteria. Three common anatoxins have been described: (1) anatoxin-a and (2) homoanatoxin-a are secondary amines and (3) anatoxin-a(s) is a phosphate ester of a cyclic N-hydroxyguanine structure. The chemical structures of these anatoxins are given in Fig. 1. Anatoxin-a and homoanatoxin-a are postsynaptic depolarizing neuromuscular blocking agents [1] that bind strongly to the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor [2]. These compounds are potent neurotoxins which cause rapid death in mammals by respiratory arrest (the mouse LD50 is approximately 250 µg/kg (microgram/kg) i.p. [3]). Anatoxin-a(s) is even more potent towards mice (LD50 20-40 µg/kg) and is a cholinesterase inhibitor [4,5]. Unlike anatoxin-a, anatoxin-a(s) induces hypersalivation in mammals, as well as other symptoms more typical of neurotoxicity such as diarrhea, shaking and nasal mucus discharge [6]. All anatoxins are deadly and their military potential as a toxin weapon is very high. They are thermally labile and may be inactivated by heat. These toxins can enter the body by ingestion, injection, inhalation and through abraded skin.

Yup, all that means another trip to the ER.

Sea Slugs
Not more!!!! Yup, more

There are poisons in the slugs. There's not much information on what they can do to humans. I suggest you do not eat them, or snort their slime.

Puffer Fish
Also Known As: Don't eat your pets

We've all likely heard the story of the sushi chefs that can actually cut up a puffer fish. Unless you are a licensed by the country of Japan chef, don't try to fry up your puffer fish. Tetrodotoxin is the word to know for that one. Yup, it's trying to kill you.

Octopus
Not just the blue-ringed variety

MOST people know that blue-ringed octopi have poisons. With the blue rings you have 10 minutes. That's a very short amount of time. You will DIE if you do not call 911 immediately. Tell them EXACTLY what happened. Here's the run-down of the blue-rings:
If you or someone you know has been bitten by a blue-ringed octopus, call 911 or activate the local medical emergency service in the area immediately.

• Most bites cause minimal pain for the first 5-10 minutes then begin to throb and may get numb and involve the rest of the arm (or extremity) bitten.
  • Bleeding may be excessive
  • Numbness, nausea, vomiting, changes in vision, and difficulty swallowing.
  • After approximately 10 minutes, the victim may have difficulty breathing, become paralyzed, and require artificial ventilation until they can be transported to a hospital. This is often preceded by numbness or loss of feeling around the lips and mouth. If medical care is not provided urgently, respiratory failure may occur, which may lead in cardiac arrest, and death.
It isn't as well known that other octopi have poisonous bites too. They aren't AS bad as the blue ring. It usually involves tingling around the injection site, swelling, numbness, and all the 'good stuff'. If it was ME, I'd just call the Dr and set up an appointment asap if I was hit by a littler, not as poisonous one. Perhaps for later that day.

Other Corals
Be aware of Allergic Reactions

Confession time. I'm allergic to mushrooms. Not the kind that you eat. The kind that are kept in aquariums. My hands turn red, I break out, so on and so forth if their slime gets on me. I personally know this. Please be aware of this sort of reaction when in and around your tank. It means you are allergic! For me, that means I cannot keep mushrooms. For you it may be something else like leathers, or anemones, or even montiporas. It can happen!

GREAT INFO

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I wrote this up... I never wear gloves unless I'm fragging. >.< I'm naughty! lol But I also frag underwater usually. Even Zoanthids can be fragged under water. (I put a frag rock next to the colony, wait for them to colonize it, and rip them off the mat) The only things I can't do under water are large-based LPS and anemones. When I'm doing those, all the other creatures that I live with (dogs, cats, parrots) are locked out of the room. You never know, right?

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have good intentions, but I don't get the "fear" of keeping venomous fish, I'm mainly stating this towards your comment of "The 'why in the world do you keep these fish' fish!"

Venomous fish are incredibly beautiful in the way they have amazing coloration and their camouflage is a thing of beauty. Ambush predators are amazing to watch in general and I personally love to just look at the things that grow on them since everything in a saltwater aquarium is fascinating. Just like any other fish, they also know who feeds them and the time you feed them and they are ready for it.

Venom is NOT for hunting, it's used purely so they are not food, but some fish know how to eat venomous fish etc. Yes a stone fish is terrifying when you're at a beach...but in an aquarium??? NO. I'm not walking inside of my aquarium or throwing my hands around as if I forgot the fish I have are venomous.

That being said...

Not every type of scorpionfish has the same venom strength as another or even that of a stonefish. Lionfish has a stronger venom than a leaf scorpionfish. Do I know the others...no, but that's all I've really read about.

I just wanted to clarify that because I LOVE keeping venomous fish and I find them incredibly beautiful and it's nice not having to feed a fish twice a day, if it will jump out of the tank etc...

One more thing that drives me nuts and correct me if I'm wrong...
Venom = injected *scorpionfish*
Poison = consumed *puffer fish*
Toxic = bacteria on a spine *tangs*

One more thing...There is a venomous fish that can not only sting but shoot the venom, I can't think of it's name so I hope someone can post it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better safe than sorry. My second tank had lionfish in it, and I'm looking at 'what can I keep with scorpionfish' if I took my tank that direction. I went with giving the worst case scenario vs saying 'oh, it'll be alright to keep one of these'. You really REALLY don't want people to keep these fish if they don't know the precautions to take, and end up killing themselves due to an allergic reaction to a sting from something. I know you and I would be willing to keep these without worrying too much... but a person just starting in reefing that sees a pretty scorpion fish of any type.. the LFS may say 'oh yeah, just don't touch them'. They eventually wander here and read this hopefully! Or maybe they're doing research and truly have no idea at all that a fish can hurt/kill/maim them. I stand by 'can' kill. Perhaps the 'will' kill you part is a bit much, but its entirely possible.

I'm not fearful of keeping them. I honestly think they're really neat fish!

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
One more thing that drives me nuts and correct me if I'm wrong...
Venom = injected *scorpionfish*
Poison = consumed *puffer fish*
Toxic = bacteria on a spine *tangs*

One more thing...There is a venomous fish that can not only sting but shoot the venom, I can't think of it's name so I hope someone can post it.

Oops, I got 2 of those wrong with 'poison' with the rabbitfish and octopi. :mad: can't go back and fix that, either. I only had my husband as a proof-reader, and he doesn't know the difference. (Yes, you're right)

I haven't heard of a venom shooting fish. I can't imagine that would be very effective-wouldn't the water in the ocean disperse that really quickly? I do know that slugs, when messed with, release their poisons into the surrounding water.. but they also turn themselves inside out and do really gross stuff.

"The 'why in the world do you keep these fish' fish!"
You did notice I said 'don't snort them' and other rather silly things I hope... :) I was trying to make it silly while serious at the same time. Oh, and don't eat your pets when it came to puffers.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that's not a realistic worst case scenario. Death from an allergic reactions from envenomation isn't the risk to worry about. The biggest risk is infection. These infections CAN turn deadly, but these have been documented in 3rd world type environments and remote areas without medical care.... and are STILL very rare. There's been no deaths here in the US, even from an infection.

Warning people is a legit reason to start your thread, just warn them with the correct information. I mean no disrespect.

Last edited:

Lrood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the chemicals/supplements we use in our tanks are far from benign too. In addition to Mycobacterium marinum, another bacterial infection associated with cuts & scratches sustained in oceans is Vibrio vulnificus.

Nice thread!

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the chemicals/supplements we use in our tanks are far from benign too. In addition to Mycobacterium marinum, Another other bacterial infection associated with cuts & scratches sustained in oceans is Vibrio vulnificus.

Nice thread!
Yeah, don't get kalk up your nose!

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so not letting my wife see this! Lol great article. I was snorkeling in hunahma bay hawaii when a bunch of I was told a type of man o war jelly fish blew in. After the ambulance came in and out three times they closed the the park. It looked extremely painful. I've had urchin spines in my knees and arms before from diving in so cal but thankfully that variety just hurts no medical attention required. At least for me anyway some I'm sure are allergic. Great article!

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great info. Thanks.

I wear surgical gloves whenever I'm going in - but I've also done that so my hands don't touch stuff...good to know it works both ways.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bev, I'm not sure if you're talking about lions and scorps, but surgical gloves won't protect you from a poke from them. Wasn't sure if you were referring to only the urchins or not.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back