My Trip to World Wide Corals

ReefChef27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what kind of bulbs you're using over the farm display tank. Looked like halide, T5, reef brites? If so I was wondering the color spectrum and brand of the bulbs. I'll be starting a 150 gal here soon and was trying to get some direction on where I want to go with lighting. Thanks for any suggestions

OP
OP
Clayalaleona

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you posted above for extension tubes for pictures.

Do you recommend which ones are nice for canon t5. I have the 18-55 lense.
I just bought the cheapest ones amazon had at the time. I don't believe I paid more than like $4 for my set and I used the canon 18-55 lens with them. Just gotta make sure that you have the proper mount.

^^^^

Out of curiosity Claudia, where did you get your icon pic??? Is that your tank? I see several people with it.....?
Hey, my icon pic is just me in my old office when I used to be cool lol. No tank. I know you mentioned you had several people with the same pic... I think you're just experiencing some technical difficulties, happens to the best of us lol.

Photos are phenomenal - just won 6 corral from WWC last night. First time dealing with them. Can't wait to see them!

I know you already shared some camera settings - can you let us in on your ISO, shutter, and aperture settings...?

Thanks!
I set everything manually, it really depends on the shot. Sometimes I'll be up in the 3200(although I try to avoid doing that) and I'm usually at 5.6 on the aperture. As far as shutter speed... I like to keep it pretty fast, especially if the flow is really strong.... which it totally was at WWC. The pump they have on the farm's display is about as big as my head LOL

OP
OP
Clayalaleona

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Requested additions!
23386292825_7996013960_c.jpg

22757885664_ea0d024c57_c.jpg

23018309939_0a3f84828b_c.jpg

22759078843_01a1e1372a_c.jpg

23277831942_4e5cfd6225_c.jpg

23359941456_6b30cb4582_c.jpg

23090312890_a960707f78_c.jpg

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I had no idea it was possible to get pics like these straight from the camera (in terms of white balance). I thought for sure you were using light room or photoshop for this. SO, my question is what camera body do you use and how did you set the custom WB? I'm hoping you're a nikon girl? @Clayalaleona

OP
OP
Clayalaleona

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I had no idea it was possible to get pics like these straight from the camera (in terms of white balance). I thought for sure you were using light room or photoshop for this. SO, my question is what camera body do you use and how did you set the custom WB? I'm hoping you're a nikon girl? @Clayalaleona
I'm too lazy to run them through PS or LR for here haha. The only reason I use LR is for setting my watermark for work and instagram.
I set a custom WB off of a white card most of the time.
I shoot canon :x I'm a 70D type of girl. Much easier to shoot with than Nikon(although I'll agree that Nikon has a billion more features)

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I tried this custom white balance thing on the nikon today (I have a d750) and it does not work. Basically I don't think its capable of finding a custom white balance under LEDs. I haven't tried it under full day lights yet, but I want to be able to take actinic shots. SO..pretty frustrated that canon users can do this so easily on camera and I have to pull my images off and do a lot of custom processing in light room to get the white balance right. I just may have to get a canon!

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too lazy to run them through PS or LR for here haha. The only reason I use LR is for setting my watermark for work and instagram.
I set a custom WB off of a white card most of the time.
I shoot canon :x I'm a 70D type of girl. Much easier to shoot with than Nikon(although I'll agree that Nikon has a billion more features)
Just want to say thanks for actually replying to all the questions you get. I have seen other folks posting nice pics, but ignore questions from people struggling. Your thread inspired me to get a new camera (canon 6i) and start shooting again. Lots of fiddling around so far, but getting better. Thanks and keep posting more sweet coral pics!

OP
OP
Clayalaleona

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I tried this custom white balance thing on the nikon today (I have a d750) and it does not work. Basically I don't think its capable of finding a custom white balance under LEDs. I haven't tried it under full day lights yet, but I want to be able to take actinic shots. SO..pretty frustrated that canon users can do this so easily on camera and I have to pull my images off and do a lot of custom processing in light room to get the white balance right. I just may have to get a canon!
I know a lot of people that have had that issues with that and Nikon. As far as I've read its a general fault some of the cameras have.
If I had to upload pictures into editing software I'd be pretty frustrated too. I just started playing around with my phone and the camera realized that it'll automatically send the picture to my cellphone... go canon!

Just want to say thanks for actually replying to all the questions you get. I have seen other folks posting nice pics, but ignore questions from people struggling. Your thread inspired me to get a new camera (canon 6i) and start shooting again. Lots of fiddling around so far, but getting better. Thanks and keep posting more sweet coral pics!
Glad I could get you back in!
I respond to most of them because it would have been great if someone helped me out when I was starting...I wouldnt have had to fight with the camera so much! haha Goodluck with the shots!

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ive been battling this for some time! Frustrating why I can't take pics like WWC :) I'll get it one day but for now most of my pics are under halide....and maybe a good reason because I think 99% of all my pics would be taking under the ReefBrites only..Lol

OP
OP
Clayalaleona

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been battling this for some time! Frustrating why I can't take pics like WWC :) I'll get it one day but for now most of my pics are under halide....and maybe a good reason because I think 99% of all my pics would be taking under the ReefBrites only..Lol
Just gotta play with it, I watch a lot of DigitalRev theyre great for learning to use certain cameras

So the one thing you haven't told is what you brought home out of all those corals :)
I brought back: Kung Pao, Inferno, a couple jelly beans, a Prime time, a rainbow litho, some acros(I forgot the name), and a Stellaria :)
I went full hoarder lol

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back