My Wife hates my Blues, Can’t be the Only one???

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt think anybody cares or even noticed OP's absence. Think we're just glad to be talking about halide results and "white light" without it devolving into mh vs. Led battle
I run my lights from 11am to 8pm, 3 Radion XR30 G6 Pros, currently run the AB+ template.

I am curious to your thoughts of running normal AB+ schedule from 11am to 5pm, then a user made more “natural” light with whites from 5:30-8pm?

Am I opening myself up for disaster with algae growth?

Initial question had nothing to do with m halides...funny.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot can be learned by watching what happens when people follow popular recommendations in reefing. things I can use/have used to save my own system from loss have been extracted from hundreds of threads exactly like this one, so let's get to jacking up those whites yesterday so I can learn the outcome :)

if it's not apparent, I think he's got about a 50% risk of bleaching following the advice so far.

I noticed nobody talked to him about verifying alk levels before this job...they mainly just post their favorite reefs and tell him it'll work. that's exactly what I like to track.

jack up those whites in the presence of high alk readings? 80% loss risk

low alk readings? 30-50% bleach risk if these are LEDs about to make the change.

ability to test alk and actually know/be sure of the stated alk levels (coming from alk test kit comparison threads) = 40% likely. meaning the majority of time, those using colorimetric guesstimate kits don't actually know their alk levels beyond just a hazard guess.

odds are not stacked in the favor of safety that's for sure, but you can't tell that reading the popular opinion and that's how the game goes down- with his $ at stake not mine.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot can be learned by watching what happens when people follow popular recommendations in reefing. things I can use/have used to save my own system from loss have been extracted from hundreds of threads exactly like this one, so let's get to jacking up those whites yesterday so I can learn the outcome :)

if it's not apparent, I think he's got about a 50% risk of bleaching following the advice so far.

I noticed nobody talked to him about verifying alk levels before this job...they mainly just post their favorite reefs and tell him it'll work. that's exactly what I like to track.

jack up those whites in the presence of high alk readings? 80% loss risk

low alk readings? 30-50% bleach risk if these are LEDs about to make the change.

ability to test alk and actually know/be sure of the stated alk levels (coming from alk test kit comparison threads) = 40% likely. meaning the majority of time, those using colorimetric guesstimate kits don't actually know their alk levels beyond just a hazard guess.

odds are not stacked in the favor of safety that's for sure, but you can't tell that reading the popular opinion and that's how the game goes down- with his $ at stake not mine.
There is a lot of wisdom in this reply ( @brandon429 ) Lighting slider color bars on LED software apps are not toys to play with. Any lighting adjusting is best done with the help of a quality par meter. Know where you start and get to the finish line very slowly, LED lighting changes is not a race. Like mentioned above, know your perimeters and work with patience being the driver here.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats your plan @txmaverickmh

just make the change slowly and you will know when you need to stop, as long as it's not a fast change you can prevent harm. being able to pull off the job safely would be ideal to log for your thread.

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just keep the settings the way you and your corals like and install dark window tint on the homes glass window…they also make mirror tint film. you can also add blackout curtains. Neighbors won’t know about your nuclear coral operation and your wife’s curb appeal issue will no longer be a concern

BTW I only run blues and I don’t care what anyone on my block thinks :p

My coral looks colorful and nice in 14k but I prefer the color pop of blue / violet / uv only

My wife is supportive and always tells me how good the tank looks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back