Mystery Crab

Jay-Roc's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking out my tank and saw this on a rock. and thought it was the start of a new coral. When I looked closer I realized the orange were legs. I removed it and waited for it to open back up and this is what I found... It's got this creepy face on its back and bright orange legs.

Would anyone be able to tell me what kind of crab this is?
Mystery crab.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lithoscaptus sp. Gall crab, probably Lithoscaptus aquarius; I know they've been found in Elegance Corals (Catalaphyllia jardinei), but they might be able to inhabit other corals too.

OP
OP
J

Jay-Roc's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lithoscaptus sp. Gall crab, probably Lithoscaptus aquarius; I know they've been found in Elegance Corals (Catalaphyllia jardinei), but they might be able to inhabit other corals too.
Is it a pest, or does it have a symbiotic relationship with the elegance coral?
I put it in my sump.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a pest, or does it have a symbiotic relationship with the elegance coral?
I put it in my sump.
It has an obligate relationship with the coral - so I doubt the crab would survive long without it.

That said, gall crabs are considered parasites; they shouldn't kill a coral, but they burrow into the skeletons - so if it's a big crab and a small coral, it's a bad combination. If the coral is a decent size, then the crab should just cause a mild deformity; problems generally only arise from algae that grows on the deformed coral skeleton that sticks out through the dead skin.

So, basically, if the coral is big, it'll be fine; if the coral is small, it could die; if the coral is medium-sized, it'll probably be unhappy, but it should survive just fine.

OP
OP
J

Jay-Roc's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has an obligate relationship with the coral - so I doubt the crab would survive long without it.

That said, gall crabs are considered parasites; they shouldn't kill a coral, but they burrow into the skeletons - so if it's a big crab and a small coral, it's a bad combination. If the coral is a decent size, then the crab should just cause a mild deformity; problems generally only arise from algae that grows on the deformed coral skeleton that sticks out through the dead skin.

So, basically, if the coral is big, it'll be fine; if the coral is small, it could die; if the coral is medium-sized, it'll probably be unhappy, but it should survive just fine.
That helps a lot! Thank you for the info.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back