National Coral Registry Association

NationalCoralRegistry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just wanted to let everyone know the site is officially up and running. We have begun registering corals. If there are farmers here that would like to register their own named corals you can e me at [email protected] and mention you are a reef2reef'er and you will get free registration and certificates. the site is : www.nationalcoralregistry.net
see you all soon, BrentB

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice guys! :)

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice site. I registered but it seems as if the registration does not work in all locations on the site such as the forum?

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Rev! One of the cool links is there is a forum where anyone can upload pix of a coral they have and then track the progress as it colors up and grows.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of givaways going to be given to the NCRA member who gets the most new referrals each month!!!!

Get with your local clubs and recruit new members but have them put your user name down and you just might get some real top notch corals!!!!

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice website and nice idea!! However how would you stop a person from doing the following,(1) I sell a frag of the sponge bob(original LE) favia to a customer, (2) That customer goes to a LFS and finds a whole colony looking exactly the same as the original sponge bob, (3) several months after he sells frags of the fake one as original LE sponge bob to about 4 random people, (4) the 4 people go around passing fake sponge bob with a certificate of auntenticity, you see where the problem occurs here as they are many corals that keep coming from the wild looking very similar if not the same.

Thanks Victor.

Last edited:

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea, and have registered a coral already. I have known something along these lines would happen since everybody got all up-tight about lineage. I (years ago) have done the same thing WWC is talking about by getting a colony that is the same as a named piece and calling it that, although the thought that it may end up being different was always in the back of my mind. Zoas still get this treatment by most people as far as I can tell.

Just like in any industry there are going to be those who try to cheat, lie, and steal. That being said, consumers will have to take the same precautions they do else where, buying from known reputable sources that have an iota of integrity, or take their chances elsewhere.

The crooks always seem to get public attention here on the forums anyway, and usually don't get the chance to rip off more than a couple people due to the scrutiny.

Gonzo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you register a coral that has been on the market for 1 or 2 years
what about all the people that got the coral before it was registered??

How do they prove that it's the real deal?? I have had wicked razzlemelon for a long time and have sold at least 7-10 frags maybe more, what about all those people they have no certificate. Hell I have no certificate. how do they prove it??

How many of these razzlemelons have been sold on ebay??

I'm on the fence about this one,

OP
OP
N

NationalCoralRegistry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice website and nice idea!! However how would you stop a person from doing the following,(1) I sell a frag of the sponge bob(original LE) favia to a customer, (2) That customer goes to a LFS and finds a whole colony looking exactly the same as the original sponge bob, (3) several months after he sells frags of the fake one as original LE sponge bob to about 4 random people, (4) the 4 people go around passing fake sponge bob with a certificate of auntenticity, you see where the problem occurs here as they are many corals that keep coming from the wild looking very similar if not the same.

Thanks Victor.
Hi Victor, thats a great question! We encourage the original farmer to register their piece and that establishes a hard lineage to that farmer.We don't register second party names because that is where it gets a little uncertain. I have already had people trying to register "Tyree" Corals. I don't let this happen since it came from them and not Tyree or Reeffarmers to be more exact.Even if they produce an invoice from Reeffarmers they cannot use the Reeffarmer name .The NCRA provides unique certificates to send out with frags with individual numbers that are never duplicated. If you register a WWC Coral it will always have a hard lineage that keeps your name and only your name on the Registration. We have other measures in place that stop people from using a valid cert. on another coral.When someone buys a coral they have a limited time to register their ownership of the coral, if they miss the window for registration the certificate and that number becomes null and void and cannot be used.We are working really hard to stop the described scenario from taking place and think we have a pretty good program to keep things in check. There is no charge for any registration services to the farmer.We take care of the printing,mailing,data bases, archiving,and any other details.

OP
OP
N

NationalCoralRegistry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you register a coral that has been on the market for 1 or 2 years
what about all the people that got the coral before it was registered??

How do they prove that it's the real deal?? I have had wicked razzlemelon for a long time and have sold at least 7-10 frags maybe more, what about all those people they have no certificate. Hell I have no certificate. how do they prove it??

How many of these razzlemelons have been sold on ebay??

I'm on the fence about this one,
In odd situations such as this we communicate with the famers and parties involved and come up with a fair resolution for everyone.In this case it would involve Jgonzz and Wicked. I hate to see anyone locked out if the coral is registered and if it can be proven within a shadow of a doubt then we can grandfather in the involved parties. It is our pure intentions to establish an exact and true lineage to the famers.These are alot of the questions the registry is meant to alleve. Its just hard because there has to be a starting point somewhere. We want to really encourage the farmers to register and start their lineages.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back