Need Advice Switching to Lionfish

zlong64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, I have a 120 gallon reef community tank with a yellow tang, a coral beauty, 2 clownfish, a peppermint shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, and then hermit crabs and snails and starfish. I also have an assortment of corals in the tank. Now, I’m really considering getting rid of all or most of these fish and instead getting a lionfish. A lionfish is what I’ve always wanted, but this was my first saltwater tank, so I found a good deal on a complete setup that came with everything I already have.
Would there be anything wrong with getting rid of all of those fish and instead just leaving the corals and getting a lionfish? Also, would I be able to keep anything at all, or would the lionfish try to eat everything since I know they’ll eat anything that can fit in their mouth? And since I’m guessing I’ll have to get rid of my cleanup crew, what should I do to offset this?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar sized tank, mixed reef with more fish than you and I had a dwarf fuzzy in for a couple of years with no issues.
Lost it to an infection.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp will be food and depending on the type of lion and the type of clowns you may need to remove the clowns. The yellow tang and coral beauty could stay, as long as they are appropriately sized to the lion.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the volitans get big and create a lot of waste. A fuzzy would give you more flexibility for choice of other fish

OP
OP
Z

zlong64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar sized tank, mixed reef with more fish than you and I had a dwarf fuzzy in for a couple of years with no issues.
Lost it to an infection.
Yeah I’ve considered going the route of a dwarf. I’m just very split because I love how cool the Volitans look

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about any of the midsize lions such as Radiata? They look very similar to the Volitans without the massive size.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Rule number one with lions...have some Benadryl on hand at all times. You think you'll be careful and not get stung by them...but they are a lot faster than they appear...especially if they feel threatened. I was stung by a large Black Volitan while trying to clean the tank and it made my arm swell up within minutes and I had a rapid heartbeat with a tight feeling in my chest. I had to drive alone to the nearest store while under those conditions to get some Benadryl...once I took it, I was fine a few minutes later. Not a pleasant experience. ALWAYS have Benadryl on hand when keeping a lionfish.

Volitans can get massive and will try to eat anything they think they can get in their mouths. I prefer the Radiata as well...smaller size, very active and just as beautiful.

When I first got into saltwater tanks, my number one must have was a volitan lionfish. They were beautiful and graceful and I knew that was exactly what I wanted to keep. So I bought two of them...and they were the most boring fish I ever owned. They were active when they were hungry but once they would eat, they would go hang upside down in the back of the tank and not do anything. I eventually traded them back in to a local pet store.

I would also recommend removing the hermit crabs...I've seen lions try to eat them, get the shells caught in their throats and die because of it.

OP
OP
Z

zlong64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule number one with lions...have some Benadryl on hand at all times. You think you'll be careful and not get stung by them...but they are a lot faster than they appear...especially if they feel threatened. I was stung by a large Black Volitan while trying to clean the tank and it made my arm swell up within minutes and I had a rapid heartbeat with a tight feeling in my chest. I had to drive alone to the nearest store while under those conditions to get some Benadryl...once I took it, I was fine a few minutes later. Not a pleasant experience. ALWAYS have Benadryl on hand when keeping a lionfish.

Volitans can get massive and will try to eat anything they think they can get in their mouths. I prefer the Radiata as well...smaller size, very active and just as beautiful.

When I first got into saltwater tanks, my number one must have was a volitan lionfish. They were beautiful and graceful and I knew that was exactly what I wanted to keep. So I bought two of them...and they were the most boring fish I ever owned. They were active when they were hungry but once they would eat, they would go hang upside down in the back of the tank and not do anything. I eventually traded them back in to a local pet store.

I would also recommend removing the hermit crabs...I've seen lions try to eat them, get the shells caught in their throats and die because of it.
Thanks for the advice! I wanted a volitan too because they look so graceful, but I might just go the route of a smaller one now

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back