Need help identifying things popping up in my aquarium

taylear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,
Over the past few weeks I have noticed things popping up in my ~4.5 month old aquarium and need help identifying them, and managing them if they are problematic.

The first and most noticeable issue has been the appearance of a mucus like film that sits on the top of my aquarium water, especially where there is little to no surface agitation (such as in certain chambers of my sump). Accompanying this has been the appearance of string like material that is coating my walls, rocks, and corals. I attached a few pictures below of this stringy stuff. It varies in color from white, green, and brown. I have heard this is "white slime" from an airborne bacteria that feeds on volatile organic compounds, but Im not sure what the source of those compounds would be near my tank. I have no candles or air fresheners being used in the area. I have been doing water changes every week or so and the stringy stuff seems to have gone down since, but I am still noticing a lot of the mucus still being produced. My water parameters have been within normal ranges this entire time.

Second, I have noticed these tiny white coiled worm looking things that are beginning to cover the glass, equipment, and rocks in my aquarium. I have attached pictures of them below. Based on a quick search, I best likened them to the description of spirorbid worms, but wanted to make sure that they are spirorbid worms, and if so confirm that they are harmless.

Third, I have been seeing strings of sand in my tank as well. I am not sure if these are related to the stringy stuff I described above, but I attached a picture of one of the strings of sand above a trochus snail below.

Let me know if you all have any ideas about what any of these things could be/how to manage them and if they are related to one another.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

image0 (5).jpeg image1 (2).jpeg image3 (1).jpeg image2 (1).jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the surface is prob bacteria like you say. Add more surface skimming or point a power head towards the top.
Top left looks like snail eggs on the glass

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back