need help planning tank

EvilVOG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been asking advice on a couple different fourms and not really getting answers. I saw a tank several years ago that I liked, and wanted to do something similar, but keep getting misled by sales people. The goals of the tank are as follows:

Clownfish and host anemone, clown goby that I already own, some ricordea and maybe some other coral down the road, but only if they are compatible with the clown and anemone.

Budget of around $300 for the tank and lighting, and I have minimal free time to manufacture something. I can mod a fuge if need be, but the advice people were giving me on one site was staring with a $1,000 tank and drilling holes in it and gluing, ect, ect.

The All-in-one tanks seem nice and one fourm had me looking that way, the other insists that the standard ones don't have enough lighting. Could not get an answer about the other versions that have more lighting. Here are some of the ones i've been looking at:

Mostly i've been looking at the 29g biocube: Coralife BioCube Aquarium Systems LED: Nano Aquarium Systems & Aquarium Kits
24g nano cube (comes in 3 different lighting schemes... are any of them good enough?:
Nano Cube Reef Aquarium Kits: 12 & 24 Gallon Nano Cube Aquariums
Aquarium Kits: JBJ Lighting 24 gallon Nano Cube Deluxe Aquarium w/FREE Nano Cube Stand
JBJ Lighting Nano Cube Next Generation LED Aquariums | Nano Aquarium Systems & Aquarium Kit

28g nano cube: Nano Cube Reef Aquarium Kits: JBJ Lighting Nano Cube 28-gallon CF-QUAD
with the "intermediate" lights: Nano Aquarium Systems & Aquarium Kit: JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Cube LED Intermediate Series Aquarium

Here's a couple promising looking local deals:

24g nano with a pro led hood for 350: 24 nano cube led aquarium fish tank

28g nano with nano tuners retrofit for 300: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/for/4428956562.html

I
f not any of that I do have some equipment laying around that is useable as well, If you think going that route maybe link what equipment you think i will need to go along with it. And i do not have whatever I need to drill a glass tank:

3 gallon eclipse plastic tank (complete lights and filter)
3 gallon or so octagonal plastic tank with light
3 one gallon plastic tanks
2 five gallon preset type heaters
20 gallon long glass tank
10 gallon glass tank
30 gallon heater
20 hallon heater
10 gallon heater
and 3 or 4 air pumps.

Thanks in advance.

Pete H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I would stay away from compact fluorescent lighting. They need replaced often or they encourage algae growth and the light is really not very strong. If you are looking for an inexpensive setup. I would look at a 40 gallon br when petco runs its $1 per gallon sale. Then buy a reef breeder value light fixture or ebay led for around $150. Tank and light for a total of $200 and you should have plenty of light for corals and anemones. You can either buy a stand or build a quick 2x4 stand. There are some great designs out there if you just do a quick google search. I recommend the 40 br over the smaller 20ish gallons. A little more stable via water volume and you have plenty of room for aquascaping.

my 2cents

like-fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I would stay away from compact fluorescent lighting. They need replaced often or they encourage algae growth and the light is really not very strong. If you are looking for an inexpensive setup. I would look at a 40 gallon br when petco runs its $1 per gallon sale. Then buy a reef breeder value light fixture or ebay led for around $150. Tank and light for a total of $200 and you should have plenty of light for corals and anemones. You can either buy a stand or build a quick 2x4 stand. There are some great designs out there if you just do a quick google search. I recommend the 40 br over the smaller 20ish gallons. A little more stable via water volume and you have plenty of room for aquascaping.

my 2cents

I am in the process of tearing down a biocube 29 because i just cant make the time to stay on top of it. The all in ones are great if you are willing to manually top them off and stay religious with the water changes. I replaced the compact lighting with a DIY LED. Heat was also an issue with an all in one. A 40 breeder with chineese box LED and refugium sump would be easier to care for and can be made to look pretty sharp! Peninsula or longways across a wall. Cant beat the price either!

OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still kind of missing the point. I'm ok with putting some stuff together as long as it's stuff that fits together, but i'm not an expert and you guys keep leaving blanks for me to fill in myself. (not just you, anyone i've asked)

If you want me to work with other equipment, what equipment do I need, don't glance over filtration or what I would need to to to build a sump (is there a kit?) And what the other site kept asking me to do, drilling tanks, I don't own whatever it is you need to drill glass.

as far as building stuff i'm not looking to spend 3 hours a day in the garage for a month. I don't have time for that. 20 min a week doing a water change I can handle.

Back to the original question I can't get an answer on, Is the led hood for the jbj nano good enough for my goals? I'm pretty close to a deal with the guy on the one I linked before.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back