Need help with powder blue tang.

arcticfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help diagnosing these bumps. I ordered 6 tangs and received a yellow tang, gem tang and blue hippo tang on Tuesday and put them in a quarantine tank with copper and Furan 2 with some prazi pro, on Wednesday I received the other 3 tangs including 2 purple tangs and 1 powder blue tang. This morning I noticed the blue powder tang has raised bumps with white spots. I am suspecting ich but was also concerned maybe it is copper poisoning. The copper was at 1.3 yesterday and did a water change today and it increased to 2.01 Hanna checked. No other fish are showing any signs and all fish seem to be eating. Any thought would be appreciated,

740A5532-3D50-41A3-8D75-00A71894BB80.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These look like nodes from previous or existing parasite. You may try FW bath for temporary relief and a copper safe treatment or even ruby rally pro along with good water quality and diet with vitamins added

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have copper, furan 2 and prazi in the QT together? was the QT cycled beforehand?

It is definitely ich.

OP
OP
A

arcticfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have copper, furan 2 and prazi in the QT together? was the QT cycled beforehand?

It is definitely ich.
Yes the tank has all 3 in there, my last furan treatment is tomorrow with the copper at 2.02 as of today. I know in articles they say to separate fish with ich to treat but he’s in QT the other fish. No one else shows any signs yet and all fish are eating. I do have a air stone suppling air and fish are fed 2 times a day with water changes every other day. Is there any other process I need to do besides observing them all?

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is usually not recommended to add multiple meds in one go. also if i am not wrong copper safe has to be at 2.5ppm concentration. research about it before u increase it just to be sure. at right concentration the spots should go away in 4 days(personal experience) and don't come back.
you can try taste enchancers like garlic guard or entice from seachem to get the PBT eating. its really important that it eats .

OP
OP
A

arcticfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time having a quarantine tank and actually treat fish. I never owned a powder blue tang or a tang from the Acanthurus family but the article I read from marine collectors “success with Acanthurus tangs” says to run a combination medicines.
Coppersafe at 2ppm
Parsi at 5ml per 20 gallons
Nitrofurazone at 1/2 teaspoon per 20 gallons
Freshwater dip w/praziquantel 1ml per gallon.

As I said before this is my first time doing this and if I am doing it wrong, any advice to help save fish I am happy to try and learn.

if I am wrong with this process let me know.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can do much except provide stable/safe environment and healthy diet. copper will take care of the ich. I would keep lights dim and enrich the food with fish vitamins. if you can get live black worms or brine shrimps that will entice the fish to eat. My foxface and moorish idol love hikari seaweed extreme. i am hoping tangs would love it too. its less messy imo, rich in sea greens (for better immunity of tangs) and you can feed multiple small feedings with an auto-feeder. avoid checking on the fish every now n then. wifi cams are a great way to keep an eye on fish without stressing them.. best of luck.

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you update us on what you learned?
I have always been told one Med at a time, so I’m curious.

OP
OP
A

arcticfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry it took so long to update! Update with my powder blue is that he didn’t make it. I should of researched drip acclimation with and airstone. Apparently what I had read online is that using air while acclimating fish is that it rises the ammonia to toxic levels and ph also goes up. I dont believe using the 2-3 medications at the same time was the Problem. I did get a second powder blue and didn’t do a drip acclimation process but still treated it with the same medication with great success. Do signs signs of ick or any other Diseases or parasites. It is healthy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help diagnosing these bumps. I ordered 6 tangs and received a yellow tang, gem tang and blue hippo tang on Tuesday and put them in a quarantine tank with copper and Furan 2 with some prazi pro, on Wednesday I received the other 3 tangs including 2 purple tangs and 1 powder blue tang. This morning I noticed the blue powder tang has raised bumps with white spots. I am suspecting ich but was also concerned maybe it is copper poisoning. The copper was at 1.3 yesterday and did a water change today and it increased to 2.01 Hanna checked. No other fish are showing any signs and all fish seem to be eating. Any thought would be appreciated,

740A5532-3D50-41A3-8D75-00A71894BB80.jpeg
Copper won't cause that. What brand of copper are you using? I agree with @vetteguy53081 these are likely bumps from some parasite. Since PBT are SO prone to ich, you need to run copper first in order to resolve that potential issue. A FW dip could buy you some time, and then you can run Prazipro after the copper. You might even stop the copper after 14 days, run the prazi and then run 2 more weeks of copper.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back